1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BF3 - To Origin or Not?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ZenZimZaliben, Sep 12, 2011.

?

Will you use EA's Origin to purchase BF3?

1. Yes, I think this type of service is great!

8.2%
  2. Yes, because I do no want a physical disc.

8.2%
  3. No, I will purchase the BF3 Disc.

47.4%
  4. Maybe, Depends on Origin pricing vs in-store pricing.

21.6%
  5. WTF is an Origin!

14.4%
  1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Where did I say Steam were bad? I said our posts were complementary.

As you can see, it's not only Amazon selling that game at half the price of Steam. That's only one game too. Try the comparison with several others, the trend is always the same, even though the difference isn't always as large.

Therefore, you'd have to be an idiot to buy it directly off Steam for double the price, wouldn't you? Just get it off Amazon, Game or whoever, activate it on Steam and recycle the box if you don't want it.

2. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I misunderstood the direction of your post (and misread xD). I honestly don't buy many games off of Steam at full retail price. I wouldn't advise to anyone that they buy a game for full price at launch, you never know what quality the product you buy will be from the get-go (See: Dead Island). They are good about knocking 10-20% off the price for Pre-Purchasing and including plenty of incentives to do such. The only real outlier when it comes to game pricing is the MW\CoD series because Activision refuses to budge on the price until a newer one is released.

3. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I refuse to buy it on origin. The only way I will buy this game will be through steam if its ever available.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Whats wrong with Origin?

Steam did this with Half Life 2 and a whole lot of other games of theirs. No one complains about how steam did that/is doing that.

What just cause they were first? Others have the same right. If EA wants to follow steams foot steps by all means I hope they do. Maybe we will see the same kind of goodness steam exclusives games give us like Free DLC for Left 4 Dead, TF2 and other stuff.

Not an EA fan at all. Also giving Origin a chance (Mainly cause I want to play BF3).

5. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I don't want my games on more than one client. I don't really care that much for battlefield 3 anyways. But I don't plan on ever buying unless its on steam. I mainly play Starcraft II anways though, not big into multiplayer shooters ATM.

6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I can understand that as a practicle reason. However, if you wanted the game, I'd say that would be a lame reason to hold back on it, just cause you don't want an extra app open whilst you play. I mean you can always close it when your done. The app takes up 100MB of HD space.. And it is still in beta.

Anyways not trying to force or advertise Origin. I'm just saying.

Love steam btw... I as well would have rather got it on steam.

7. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Yeah well we shall see. If its a truely amazing game I might break down and buy it. My roomate really wants me to get it so I might.

8. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    What's the incentive to do any sane conversion when people are buying it at the higher price just for the sake of having it on Steam?

You need origin to play the game. Even if you get it through steam you will be getting origin as well, it's part of the package and there's no avoiding it.

9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    See when I see everyone talking about Steam prices being higher, I assume they mean for brand new games. On Steam I almost never go out and buy a decently popular game once it's a bit older, unless it's on sale, because there is no reason too. They have sales so often, it's just pointless. Perfect example is, wasn't it just last week Black Ops was I think 50% off? You might have to wait a bit longer than you wanted, but honestly, if you didn't buy the game right when it came out, then you probably aren't itching like crazy to play it anyways and you decided you would wait till you found a deal (so you should actually wait for a deal, because it's Steam and they have them all the time, it's why I'm broke from buying games).

I do realize conversion rates can suck, but thats not the point I been after. The point was, new games are the same cost as most other places (some random places will get discounts at times). But if you are buying older games, they are always on sale, you weren't in a hurry to get the game, so wait for a deal.

10. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    So you can expand your market in other countries. I honestly think Valve is not doing this because it would earn them enough money and consumer level position to have to go public. And I really don't think they want to be a publicly traded company.

11. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Does it matter where you buy it? Cause you still have to link it to origin right? Its like purchasing Deus Ex, it goes to your Steam, but steam is actually good.

And is it safe to install origin? i am holding back on preordering cause of the whole issue with EA wanting all your computers belonging to em.

12. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Nothing wrong with Origin. They have a small clause about closing your account if you do not access the service in two years. That is the only really draw back.

13. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I'm not.

14. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    I'm buying it off Direct2Drive because I want to cut EA out of as much money as possible, but still want the game. Fuck'em for forcing a SECOND (after Steam) such gaming client on us. Imagine if every major publisher starts this trend? Fuck'em.

Of course, I'm not going to go so far as not play this game of the decade, obviously... ;)

qubit says thanks.
  15. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    http://i.imgur.com/B7URl.jpg

This whole thing pisses me off. I know Steam and Punkbuster do about the same thing but at least I can disable this in steam.

16. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I will most likely buy a disc, though this will depend on prices. I do not want to have yet another account to keep track of and remember the details to.

17. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Well all you guys will be Pissed when you have to install Origin just to play BF3

Q: Is Origin required to play my game, even if I didn’t buy it on Origin?

A: Beginning in September of 2011, most new PC games from EA will benefit from the enhanced features provided by Origin integrated into the games. PC players will be required to log-in to Origin to play new EA games so you are getting the best possible experience with the full set of online features to connect and play with friends, get help when you need it and keep the game updated with the latest content. Whether you purchase the game on Origin.com, from another site for digital downloads, or at retail for physical discs, new games will require you to have the Origin to play. If you didn’t buy your game on Origin, Origin will be included in the installer for the game.

When playing games offline, Origin log-in will not be required to play. For older EA catalog games, Origin is not required to play – though we recommend you use the Origin application for fast, seamless downloads, auto-patching and additional social features.

Q: For what games is Origin required to play?

A: Origin is currently required to play for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 for PC. Future releases in the coming months will also require Origin to play.

https://helporigin.secure.force.com/CpKnowledgePage?appcontext=browser&pagecontext=CpHomePage&article=ka5E0000000Cb8vIAC

In other words Tuff Sh.t out of luck

WhiteLotus says thanks.
  18. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    I will buy the disk screw Origin already have steam.

19. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:

Well that's annoying.

20. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I remember when valve announced Steam and how the forums lit up around the web with all sorts of people being pissed off. Everyone were screaming about how they liked buying their games in a store or off the web but owning the hard copy. So many people swore off Steam.

Now fast forward and all those people (nearly all of them) absolutely love steam. Now here comes EA's version and all hell breaks loose again! lol too funny.

I'll install origin as soon as I install BF3 and I'll be happy to do so.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  21. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    You will still need Origin to play.

Fatal says thanks.
  22. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I will not use Origin to buy it.

23. Bow

Bow