1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bioshock Infinite

Discussion in 'Games' started by ste2425, Mar 19, 2013.

1. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    That magnetic power up you get towards the end was really all I ever used/upgraded once I got it. It reminded me of when Neo from the matrix stopped all the bullets in mid air or the villain from the mask who spits back all the bullets after he absorbs them, pretty sweet power.
  2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I did some testing and came up with a few tweaks that allow you to fine tune mouse settings, enable custom FOV, and eliminate the on rails sprinting that dumbs down the mouse sensitivity.

It involves some simple file edits in the game's Config folder, located at Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\Xgame\Config. The edits are all made in the XUserOptions.ini file, but first save a copy of the default file in a folder like Original Files or something.

1. Mouse sensitivity increments

Do an Edit\Find search for "mouse" via Notepad in XUserOptions.ini. For instance the default mouse sensitivity is .600000. The next step down is .568000. The final mouse setting command in that file is what your mouse sensitivity is actually set to, so if you want it right in between the default and the setting below it, set it to .584000.

2. FOV setting

This one is really easy. I noticed that the menu when FOV is highlighted says it raises or lowers FOV by 15%. Thus I searched for an FOV offset percentage command, and found one. In that same XUserOpions.ini file, just do an Edit/Find search for FOV. There is only one FOV command there called MaxUserFOVOffsetPercent=15.000000.

The default FOV shown in XEngine.ini is 70. The range with the 15% offset is roughly 60-80. If you want a max of say 110, just change the .150000 to .570000.

These screenshots show the default max FOV, and a max FOV setting with the offset changed to 57%.

Default Max FOV

Max FOV at 57% offset

I did some in game testing with all 3 tweaks here at an FOV offset of 50%, and I think I'm going to leave it there.

6. Mouse sensitivity while sprinting

Here I just set the min mouse sensitivity to that of the sensitivity setting I use. In other words, if you like it at .584000 as I said earlier, you can set it to that. Do note however that there are also mouse acceleration commands in that ini that are both set to True (enabled). If the mouse feels too squirrelly at times, you can set those to False, but you may have to redo the fine tuning on your actual sensitivity number.

These tweaks really open up the view and feeling of freedom while sprinting, and the mouse fine tuning is nice too.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Ahh i believe i was a little confused, haven't played on 1999 mode so i didn't realize there was no re-spawning etc. But regardless finally was still a viable way of describing it, i kept having to be re spawned therefore when i did manage to finish it finally was how i felt. I completely agree i didn't utilize the vigors correctly. In all the Bioshock series ive neglected the plasmids/vigors and i know im only playing half the game but in the first two i found i could play it successfully using just the firearms. During the first 3rd of infinite this was the case and so i neglected
    the upgrades your could purchase for your vigors or using the infusions on your salts
    Then tried to complete the final battle without utilizing your vigors and found it quite difficult. I think when i play through again in 1999 mode it be make full use of vigors along with firearms and think more wisely about what i upgrade and more importantly what i don't.
  4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's all about combining vigors with firepower and making mechs work for you when you can. I'm playing on 1999 and am about 20% through so far with no problems. You just have to be more slow and careful. I've even messed up and drank some booze that zapped half my health and not made the best use of the available ammo here and there, but I'm still at full health, ammo and salts, have over $800, and have the RPG fairly well upgraded going into the Hall of Heroes. Of course the toughest battles are yet to come though.
  5. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm about to play through in 1999 mode. Just seen the tv add again and think its great. Don't know if the us has the same as uk but its quite good, what's the music used in it does anyone know?
  6. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Anyone figure out how to change mouse sensitivity other than the slider in the game menu. I have it all the way down to lowest it can go, but its a little bit slow for me, but if I do one notch higher its a bit to much.
  7. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:

The settings in the XUserOptions.ini do not save when you change and then save the file. They switch back to defaults when you start the game and then exit. Just noticed this, not sure if anyone else has.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  8. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    At hard difficulty handymands were quite hard if i didn't had my sniper rifle
  9. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Refer to post #203 I made above. Tweak #1 shows how to do that. The pics of tweak #2 proves that XUserOptions.ini does in fact retain settings.
  10. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    You can turn mouse acceleration of also, in case something's causing your game to delete the ini files. But as frag maniac said it should keep them.
  11. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I just need the sensitivity for looking through the iron sights of the guns better. Everything else is fine.
  12. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    If by "better" you mean less auto reduction, you should be able to tweak that via what the min mouse sensitivity is set to in the XUserOptions.ini file. The only time mouse settings should reset is if you afterward adjust the general sensitivity in game with the slider, but in my finding, only the general sensitivity setting does (MouseLookSensitivity=).

For anyone interested in the FOV tweak, the FOV should not reset even if the menu slider is used because you're only adjusting the percentage of offset via the command mentioned above. In my testing one particular cutscene blacked out toward the end when it was sett to 50% though, so you may want to try a lower setting like 25% or something.

There really was no adverse effect other than the tail end of that one scene being black though. Truth be told I'm not even sure it was the tweak that caused it. I've seen cutscenes in games sometimes have intermittent quirks, like the first scene in Dead Space 3 where you're flying through space in just the suit, the pod you catch up to is sometimes invisible.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  13. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    Finished this game a few days ago, and wow, what a game. Only complaint was that there was a lot of downtime in between battles, but overall that was a pretty minor setback.
  14. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:

This was my favorite power once I got it. I used it a lot.

The powers I used the most: possession, return to sender, murder of crows & devils kiss.
  15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'm about 3/4 way through my 1999 run now. The game is really getting long in the tooth on this mode. I'm starting to hate how you have to be fairly close and exposed to be sure of most powers working. Sometimes an enemy will be standing up on a 6 foot high platform fully exposed and even with a direct line of sight on him at fairly close range the power will not adhere to him. The game's got some glitches for sure. Once I beat this mode I don't think I'll ever want to play on more than Hard from now on, if I play it anymore at all.

Quoth the crows, nevermore.
  16. 2wicked

2wicked

Thanks Received:
    Why do I get the feeling that there's going to be an alternate ending dlc?
  17. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Is there an alternate ending? Because I remember you have to make some choices through the game does that affect the ending or just the gameplay?
  18. 2wicked

2wicked

Thanks Received:
    Not that I know of.
    Choice is an illusion wrapped in an enigma of possibilities!
  19. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    The ending is...
    ...a showcase of the complexity of a mulitverse made even more complex by an implied causality loop which the player has no control over, other than taking the linear path to the final moment where Booker is drowned vs baptized so as to keep him from becoming the religious fanatic Father Comstock.
  20. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Why do you suppose they showed only six of his children as opposed to filling the scene with seemingly infinite ones?
  21. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    because computers don't like infinite loops. :) Ooooooh the name makes sense.
  22. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Because that's all that was necessary to represent the concept of a multiverse. For all we know that could have been the only versions of her he actually came in contact with too.
  23. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I think we all know some women that belong here........ :laugh:

Ive gotten to the point in this game where I can strongly say. It is fucking amazing!

[​IMG]
  24. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    ^^^Yeah that was one of the funnier parts of the game, other than Patriots trotting along chanting "For Fitzroy!"

Another bit I found funny was the last guy left in the Salty Oyster retreating to the secret room insisting he's going to cut you to pieces, while too scared to come out. Oh really?
  25. bulma New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's damn good!! It has such an amazing climate and storyline! :rockout: