• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a Desktop or Buying a Laptop?

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Exactly BullGod! Think to yourself, what is overclocking and why do we do it? I know myself I purchase a part, do an overclock, and come back just as good as something I could've paid 25% more for the price.

I understand overclocking these days isn't about that anymore. Just my .02.

Rezlov

So I noticed on slickdeals.net a Q6600, 8800GT, 500GB HD and so on for less than 1,000 and it got me thinking.....

Should I go with a deal like that from Dell or go with independent parts and put it together myself?

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
So I noticed on slickdeals.net a Q6600, 8800GT, 500GB HD and so on for less than 1,000 and it got me thinking.....

Should I go with a deal like that from Dell or go with independent parts and put it together myself?

Well if you want to oc or anything like that then its better to put it together... Dell's not going to give you any good options on ocing, also they probably will lock all that so you couldn't even do it... Because dell don't like people like us...

BullGod

:banghead: This helping business on TPU is going nowhere. I spend time to put up a list with the best bang for the buck parts atm and now he is asking if Dell wouldn't be better... :banghead:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
he's just asking. he doesnt know that dell shits on costmers when they buy their product. dells in it for the one time buy then 2 years later that hassel to make you buy a new one from them

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy

It all comes down to what you can afford and what risks you're willing to take.

>If you buy a Dell or any brand name, you will not be able to make any changes to the puter without voiding the limited warranty.

>If you don't make changes to the puter then you do have a limited warranty to fall back on.

>Building a rig yourself allows you to pick each component that best meets your unique need as a puter user. Do you use lots of office apps? Are you a gamer? Etc...

So, it's all about what you can afford and whether or not you want to make changes/upgrades over the next 2 years. Remember, technology moves fast and what works on today's puters (games,etc.) may not work in a few months. Just food for thought. :cool:

Rezlov

I'm listening to the advice given and just checking out every option possible. I realize now Dell is definately not the way to go.

How about www.ibuypower.com ? They have some good setups there that I can alter to my liking for a good price with a 3-year warranty. Can you overclock those?

edit: I also found this GREAT laptop. P-6831fx Gateway 8800m gts. It would play games great and is only $1249.99 . What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
I would tell anyone to do Ibuypower. ITs listed in a few of the main stream pc mag, and they are made for gamers.. now in their ocing, I really don't know. Its better to go and build your own from websites like newegg, crazypc, and zipzoomfly that way you KNOW you can oc the beast!
As for a laptop, Its a pretty nice thing you seen there. If you where really into lappys then I'd go for it. there are people on here (Theonetruewill,triprift) that use lappys and love them.. Plus we do have our own oc club so you can get help there...