1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can a SSD Hard drive be installed in a IDE laptop

Discussion in 'Storage' started by trt740, Jan 21, 2013.

1. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I would stay with what you have and call it a day.

jgunning and ALMOSTunseen say thanks.
  2. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
    Hah, yeah, that would be the safe option, to the laptop, and your wallet.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    He said he would be spending about $100, so the 64GB one would be in his budget still.

trt740 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I would look for used drives tbh. Make a WTB thread, see if anyone has something of interest.

trt740 says thanks.
  5. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    How would I clone my hard drive to this Ssd drive?

6. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Make a clone (sometimes referred to as "disc image") with Clonezilla/Norton Ghost/Acronis True Image/whatever to an external hard drive, then put the SSD into the laptop. Use the cloning prog you used, to "restore" the image to the disk (SSD). Make sure you reconfigure Windows afterwards because now it does not realise it is on a SSD (disable defragmentation and MSDOS style filenames; you don't need those anyway. Disabling file indexing could be a good idea too).

trt740 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Well, I may just have to give it ago then.

8. SAJJAD New Member

Thanks Received:
    install ssd on a compaq nx6110

I've managed to get my old laptop(compaq nx 6110) running on a ssd hard drive but got a MLC SSD should have got a SLC SSD(twice the price). Now its speed is 80mb/s could have had 130mb/s. But still it's running faster than my old harddrive with windows 7. Once again being used. If anyone's intrested on how this is done will update post.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking SSD would still be faster due to the lower access times and laptop drives typically being 5400 drives.

I do know if i was going pay $80 for a IDE i would just put another $20 to it and just get a SSD.

10. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    if your running xp with an ide SSD then check out a program called flashfire it stops the stuttering xp does with a ssd as it tries to read and write simultaneously.

11. SAJJAD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Flashfire

I've just downloaded and installed flashfire on my laptop(compaq nx6110) but I am not using an IDE SSD I am using an 1.8" microsata with an adaptor to convert to IDE and running Windows 7. I found this method the quickest way to get the SSD hardrive to work because my IDE SSD was not being detected in the bios, it made no difference how I formatted it, I wasted so much time on this and could not find a bios update for my laptop(compaq nx6110) for this IDE SSD. So if someone knows a bios update that will work for my laptop it may help anyone wanting to go down that route because they are cheaper that other SSD harddrives. Cost me £35 for 2gb ram and £60 for 64gb mircosata ssd harddrive and £5 for the adaptor. Like said it is now being used every day.

Geofrancis says thanks.
  12. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    windows 7 does a lot of drive caching on its own so you wont notice as much of a difference with it compared to XP. its night and day with XP. when i used an Acer aspire one ZG5 with the really crap 8gb ssd it would take over 3 mins to boot to the desktop then another min to open the start menu. after i installed flash fire it was booting in under 30 seconds and the start menu was up as soon as i clicked on it.

if you have one of the SSD EEEPC 700 or 900 series or aspire ones with a ssd i recommend it.

13. SAJJAD New Member

Thanks Received:
    link to tune up ssd

I've found a very useful link on SSD harddrive on this forum which sent me to a different forum, I have tried there tweaks on my laptop(compaq nx6110) and it has worked a treat doesn't explain a lot but booting a lot faster(under 25sec). When I find that page again will add link.