1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Chimp Challenge 2012 info

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by Xavier Zepherious, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xavier Zepherious New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im the EVGA capt

we currently need you to sign in and discuss the new format for the CC

If you like this PM me or Adak -
    we may also ask you to PM zodac at OCN to inform them this is the format you like

at the moment a lot of teams are onboard with this format

Format proposal from Overclockers (Adak)

Format:

two brackets, unlimited (straight points race), and a handicap bracket. The handicap basis point score for each team would be taken directly from their average day in the CC, last year.

If you believe it favors smaller teams a bit too much, then give each team a 50% penalty for the *increase* - sounds diabolical, but it cuts down on the advantage of the smaller teams percentage being a smaller quantity, compared to the same percentage increase, in a larger team.

(I'm not sure this is needed since the smaller teams will undoubtedly be in the handicap bracket, and the larger teams will be in the unlimited bracket.)

It's fair, it handles any problem of teams merging (like NCIX and HWC last year), and has a leveling effect on the competition.

Points in this format would be:

Unlimited bracket:
    race points earned = total FAH pts.

Handicap bracket:
    race points earned = total FAH pts - average days total FAH pts taken from last years CC.

Teams that are new to the CC and racing for the first time need a simple tweak to the points formula:

race points earned = total FAH pts - team daily average for the last six months.

It's important to remember in the midst of all this, that this is just a FUN race. It's not life or death -- it's more important than that! I don't need rules about EVGA having contests during the race, or any team "timing" work units so they score the most points, etc.

It's a race!

I don't care if EVGA wants to set their britches afire, and run around the park - if it helps them fold, then it's a win -- for Folding@Home. Maybe EVGA will get some time on a super computer -- Go EVGA! You time your work units, and I'll time mine.

It's a race!!

We may melt a server HD at Stanford, but that's their CC challenge!

It's simple, and we need to keep it that way. You start the race here, you end the race over there, and in-between, you fold like crazy.

Keeps it simple, keeps it fun and gets LOTS of folding done.

And isn't that why we have a CC?

2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    is this an attempt at grabbin some tpu folders for their CC?

im ready to chimpout for tpu?

More than 25k PPD
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Have you sent messages to the F@H captains here (BuckNasty and Chicken Patty)? I always thought all the team captains got with each other to get a baseline for the C, then the captains presented the ideas to their respective teams for input.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Xavier Zepherious New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seeing that your captains have not logged into the CC forums or have not been present in them we are trying to get something together before we run out of time

OCN had offered a 2 formats and deadline that came and went for the captains to agree on
    because we are running out of time..it's April and the contest is in May (less than 30 days)

nothing came of that (mind you there was very little agreement on what format or formula either...and it was OCN's proposal Only)

OCF(ADAK) and EVGA are contacting those that have not been on with a new format that we have some agreement on with some of the teams

Since no one is paying attention to the CC forums it seems the best way is this route.

TPU and TSC never logged into the CC (I least not that I seen any posts from them)

at EVGA the membership was at it's end it was either we come up with something this week or next - or we were out

OCF(Adak) offered a format that was sellable to EVGA, HWC and OCAU

we have contacted all the teams with this format
    we need some agreement -talk about it and have your capt PM me

5. Xavier Zepherious New Member

Thanks Received:
    deadline is this week or you lose EVGA from the CC

OCN had a deadline come and go on the CC forums already

so start talking and discussing it..
    contact ADAK(OCF) and Xavier Zepherious at EVGA

lets get the ball rolling... we have a deadline

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like there is a straight PPD points race with no weighting for this years Chimp Challenge. Is anyone interested in this type of competition? I guess there is a deadline in 2 days for yay or nay. Let me know what you guys think.

KieX, theoneandonlymrk and Mindweaver say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With it being a straight race... I don't think it is worth the hassle... We make a good team but with out the handicap.. It would be like bringing a jackass to a horse race.. :p

EDIT: Greed - excessive or rapacious desire, especially for wealth or possessions.

adulaamin, KieX and BUCK NASTY say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, not interested in this "challenge".

9. Xavier Zepherious New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest to look at this before you make a decision

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703124&page=2

it's not entirely PPD in the handicap

adak could explain it more
    there is a sample standings he ran on that page

the only straight race is the top bracket

there was a deadline in place both OCN had one that came and left and EVGA had one that's past but we extended to this week only
    lack of discussion and input are the problem

you were suppose to chime in much earlier in the CC forums and have your say and input
    ask your team capt where he was?

we had months where no one came to the CC forums but a few

now it's too late and now you complain?

EVGA [H],OCN,and other crunch in straight PPD races and don't complain about it
    EVGA is no where near the top yet we enter crunching contests and lots of them and we do our best

I do both...but then I see how Folders whine about unfairness...

give me a break
    if small folders came around and got stanford to switch the standing so that small folders were at the top and big guns at the bottom.
    I dare say anyone here would think it was fair. There be a war

just look at the changes to bigadv and all the people that got mad

how do you think other teams feel when you muck with formulas that cater to your own desires and favors you over other teams
    just imagine if other small teams seeing that picked a fomula that hurt you and did more for them

you could have dozens of formula 1/2 of the teams would agree the other half wouldn't with each one
    because it either favors them or they don't
    and they pick the ones they like and drop others they don't - and we never get concensus - one reason the CC forums fell apart

This is a compromise - there are two winners 1 for straight PPD and one for handicap

and the handicap formula still being developed - meaning you can have input if you talk to adak at OCF
    all the teams want simple formula

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  10. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    Dude, back off. You are taking this way too serious. Most of us have been folding for multiple years and we do not need a competition to justify our efforts. Please let our team discuss this without interference. We will decide what is right for our team without your rhetoric. If we miss the deadline(s)...oh well.

KieX, theonedub and Mindweaver say thanks.
  11. Xavier Zepherious New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's fine...

it's not my intent to pressure you guys...if your out...then your out

however your information was in error on the races
    and clarification was need there

if I insulted your team or anyone I apologize

This is not what EVGA wanted either - we wanted a fair handicap for all.
    but seeing the whole process fall apart we went outside the CC forums to salvage something and fix the process for next year.

after all we want to include more teams next year. like 10-12 more
    bickering and posturing over formula and formats is what has gotten us to this point and why this process is failing

we need 1 simple race, simple formula to sell to the teams
    this has to be the future - otherwise we will never get concensus with 20 or 30 or 40 teams

we like to have everyone have input and say..
    you are still welcome to talk to adak and see what you can do

Handicap formula is similar to last years

KieX and Mindweaver say thanks.
  12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    The handicap race would've been interesting, but after the CC last year I don't think I would participate either way.

I will get back to Folding though, just need to finish up with some other work and finish the other Folding rig first.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will continue to fold my 70-75k ppd, no matter how the cc is held (or not). I don't fold to get points or to be able to say my team had more ppd than yours. I fold because i sense i have to.

I work day to day with breast cancer, and let me tell you everytime i see a women under 60 on our surgical planning (saw a 28 years old getting both of her breast removed last week:banghead:), i just feel i'd like to add two more gpu's to my rig. Hell i would purchase this (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon7000/7500/X8OBN-F.cfm 80 cores/160 threads:eek:) if i could afford it.

More on topic. i would like to give some chances to the smaller team. If everyone has a (fair) chance of winning, big team or small team, then maybe more people would fold for more teams. However, i do understand that no points system is perfect. All have their flaw.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012
  14. Xavier Zepherious New Member

Thanks Received:
    there is two different things to add

there is also a proposal to get rid of switchin to chimp names on the table
    (not my preference - another historical part of race gone)
    half the battle was to switch over and see how your team would prevail under that

there is a Proposal to add a fallen soldier section for fallen folders and notables
    even if you don't join you can add your members to the list and we will fold in honor of them

PS:

if you do elect to be out then when next year comes do your capts want to be notified early so this time everyone is onboard and logged in particpating in discussions
    seems this year 1/2 the teams weren't present - and Im wondering if this was the problem - a lack of communication or notifying your leadership

We are also going to try and enlarge the number of teams for next year with invites
    we would like to have a standard system in place for that

hence the reason for simplifying everything

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  15. Xavier Zepherious New Member

Thanks Received:
    get in contact with adak and zodac
    we are working on something else -trying stuff .new ideas
    if you have ideas now is a time to help

I won't be around for a few days..
    family emergency - 92yr father in hospital 90yr mom to take care of and things to do

so these people will be your contact point
    give these people your help if you still like to see a CC this year

16. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well since I am seeing this for the first time, let me chime in (or rant). Last year's was a disaster in the making although the finish was great. IMHO the essence of the CC has been lost, there had been rumors that other teams courting other members from other teams that did not participate to fold for them. For what? Just so you display that Jaded Monkey on your forum saying that you've won this years competition? The essence of the CC is to promote F@H, not promote your forum that is supported by a bigger company (thus promoting that company as well). I think its safe to say that the majority of us here in TPU fold for a cause and not for recognition. With that being said I'm not participating this year but would always support the Captain's decision.

17. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Bogmali. There are just to many competitive variables to take into consideration for the Chimp Challenge. Since nobody has spoken in favor of competing this year, I say we pass on it and wish our folding brothers the best during the competition. Please speak up if you feel different.

:toast:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    theoneandonlymrk and mx500torid say thanks.
  18. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    Buck, can I get the ChimPowerUp passkey? Please enter the Chimp Challenge and I will fold in it alone. :)

19. Adak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys and Gals!

I'm a Chimp Challenge expediter from OCF (T32monkeys), doing a bit of the captain's job since he's busy with a PhD thesis atm.

Please don't be discouraged by accounts of folding teams courting other folders from teams that are not competing, etc. That kind of tactic will help one year, but after that, it will hurt that team - because their handicap "basis" becomes much greater for the next year(s).

We know the goals of the CC, and since I'm from the original CC team:

1) Fun for the non-technical types - a little competition

2) Good buzz (advertising) on the net and etc., for FAH. This is more valuable than it may appear, btw.

3) Motivates the teams to recruit/introduce FAH project to potential future folders.

4) Even if it's only temporary, we do fold a LOT more work units, during the CC.

Please don't let a bit of down in the mouth types, get you thinking that the CC has gone to hell in a hand basket - it has not.

Anyway, I have a mission here. I'm campaigning to change the "you have to sign up with a new folding name" to be in the CC, to a "you keep using your same folding name", and ALL your team races with you.

This is a change that I have heard people complaining about for years, and after the CC race left the small sub-team race it started out as, and became a race between whole teams, it seemed a nuisance to keep this requirement. The handicap change needed is trivial.

Anyway, this is the question I'd like a survey or poll done on:

For the Chimp Challenge Race, would you rather:

A) Be required to change your folding name in order to race?

or

B) Be allowed to race, using your current folding name?

Please let me know, and keep smiling. :D

20. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You will get more participation if every participant gets to keep their folding name. Since they are already folding, it won't affect their standing in that particular team. Plus no need to change anything, its already there. This is the probably the most complained reason thus far (next to the handicap).

21. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    I vote for B (Be allowed to race, using your current folding name).

22. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    I'm in.

BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  23. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    I picked this off of EVGA Forums. It's one of the models for the points structure for this years CC and shows what it would look like if every team doubled it's points from last years CC. There is also talk of moving the CC to later in May.

If this was to be the points structure, would you guy's be interested in competing?

[​IMG]

24. KieX

Thanks Received:
    So what do the final adjusted points mean? Is that the number of PPD required to earn 1 point? Seems quite complex at a glance.

25. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    I'm in if it ends up with the B option. I can't change my settings from where I'm located.