• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Combination Connect 3D X800GTO@XT and AsRock Dual-Sata II = Freezes?! What to do?

Ostsol

Hello!

Some users of another forum have problems with the combination Connect 3D X800GTO@XT and the mainboard AsRock Dual-Sata II.

After the card is flashed to an X800XT they have freezes on and on.

The freeze is coming in 2D or if an application changes from 3D to 2D.

They have tested out other Bios versions for the motherbord: no effect

lower rates for GPU and Memory: no effect

lower rates for GPU and Memory in 2D (with ATI-Tool or ATI Tray Tools): no effect

first install of Vid-Card Catalyst and then of ULI Chipset progs (Treiber): no effect

Have anyone had the same problems with this combination? Or know someone how to solve this problem?

Please excuse my bad english!

Ostsol

D

Dynamic

Ostsol,
I'm using the same board, "ASRock Dual939-Sata2" and i've ordered the Connect3D X800 GTO, it's on its way. So are you having problems as well? Didn't you guys use the modified C3D GTO bios from Wizzard's site? Did you guys just flash to X800XT/PE or what? Are they running the stock fan that has no cooling for the eight memory modules? They should just flash with the 16p modded bios instead of the full blown 16pp and higher clocks, if their cards aren't cooled properly they'll have problems. I hope i can clear this up soon when i get my C3D GTO and Zalman VF700-CU cooler. Keep us posted....

Ostsol

@Jimmy: the two members have tested out the powercolor X800XT (with Samsung 2.0NS Memory) and the sapphire X800XT (with 1.6NS? Samsung Memory, but the absolute same memory timings as the powercolor X800XT or original C3D X800GTO)...

...both are results in freezes :twitch:

The modded techpowerup Connect3D X800GTO@16P bios is ending by one member at 520/520 stable and by another memer already at 430/490 and after that frontiers: freezes on and on...

Your link doesn´t work. What do you want to tell me with it? (first flashing the Sapphire.X800GTO.Samsung20.bin and then one of the XT bios versions?)

But for what this it is supposed to be good? :confused:

@Dynamic: at first the members have checked the fuses and then they´ve tested the clocking rates (500/500) with the ATI-Tool btw. with ATI Tray Tools.

After this they have tested the two XT Bios versions and also the modded one from Wizzard. (thanks for that Wizzard! :roll: )

The results you can read above.

They both use the original stock cooler, but other members have no problems with this cooler and higer clocking rates. (but they own other boards)

One of the members with the problem have tested his card on another board (not AsRock) and there his card worked with 500/500 and 16P without any problems!

Also he tested on his AsRock Dual Sata II a Sapphire X800GTO@X850XT. And this card does not cause any problems!

It´s really a little bit strange, isn´t it? :wtf:

I hope (@Dynamic), that you can solve this problem, as soon as you own the Connect3D and the Dual Sata II yourself! :respect:

Ostsol

JimmyHa

Sorry about broken link. I meant to use W1zzard's modded bios and just raise the clocks with atitool. Looks like you have.

Maybe a problem w/ the ULI mobo. Maybe they can return the AsRock in for a nforce4 mobo? Good luck

D

Dynamic

It sounds like my board is the issue somehow. I've had this board "ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 Bios 1.20 for almost three months with no problems, everything practically overclocked:CPU,RAM, and Video card. Now i get this Connect3D GTO and ran some tests @Stock 12pp400/490 with no issues. When i went to flash mod it, it really didn't show any problems. The freeze is not constent, just random.

1)Atiflash -s 0 C3DGTO.bin
2)Atiflash -f -p 0 (PowerColor X800XT 2.0ns Bios) -Newbios
3)Atiflash -f -p 0 C3DGTO.bin

That's all i did and it seems to be working well with the 4 extra pipes. Now i have the fan @100% since the temps go high, using Ati Tool .24. Also when i got the card it came with its own PCI-E power cable, but i didn't use it, using my OCZ 520 Modstream PCI-E cable that has all six wires instead of the one in the box with only 2 wires (yellow and black). I do hear some hissing noise when i have the fan full blown, weird. Asrock did come out with a new bios revision but it looks like more towards newer cpu's and from the forum people have said the new bios is not worth it, screw up your current overclock, plus things missing. I don't know, but i just wanted to re-flash this card and have nothing on it again. How do i do that, so it has the original bios w/12pp and not 16pp?

locutus12

did you update the bios on the asrock board yet? i have the same board running a GTO2 at X850XTPE and i can tell you the default bios is terrible. i updated it and by doing this alone i scored 400 more points in 3D05. try updating it and see if it helps, the latest version is 1.3

also is the card permenantly overclocked? or just clocked during certain games...

D

Dynamic

Wait, you sound like you're running the same m/b as i? ASRock 939Dual-Sata2? Yes, i just flashed to the 1.30 bios from my 1.20. I was running the 1.20 not the 1.10 that came with the board. So far i just flashed back to my original C3D bios w/12pp 400/490 to see if i get any freezes. I have even installed the latest catalyst drivers 5.10 w/Display and WDM Drivers included in this bundle along with the Control Panel not the CCC. I have my PCI-E on Async 100, since i have my CPU, and ram overclocked and my HT Link is set to 600 or CPU-NB, whatever you want to call it. So you have the GTO2 card with this board? No, i'm using ATI Tools to overclocked it to 540/565 (anything over 565+ give me artifacts for the memory).

GTO16PP 540/565
3DMark03:13017
3DMark05:6389 <--- Not bad, but only if it stops freezing on me.

I'm still waiting for my Zalman cooler dudes...VF700-Cu to arrive. I don't know what the heck is the use if i can't get this stable at 16pp 400/490 without my computer freezing, it's diffinitly got to be the motherboard issue. I just came from a 9800xt AGP 438/384 to this GTO.

locutus12

"HT Link is set to 600 or CPU-NB"

leave these on auto, also check if memory compatability is turned on, it screws things up, as for ati tool, dont use it to overclock, use it to find max speeds only. use radlinker (google to find it) to overclock, it auotmatically overclocks during the game and drops back to normal when you leave it putting much less stress on the card (reed the instructions with it on how to use it). what are your temperatures when clocked? has it stopped freezing now youve flashed back to standard GPU bios ?

Sejanus

Dynamic, any luck yet? I'm now looking forward to my Connect3D GTO arriving with some trepidation. It should be here around friday. I just built the main part of my system last weekend with an X2 3800 and the ASRock 939 Mobo. Right now I'm doing a relatively simple overclock, with just pushing my fsb up to a 233 Ghz and DDR400 at 233 too. I haven't gotten around to trying a more extensive OC with different memory timings like it sounds like you have. Sure hope we can find a work around or, like you said, what's the point?

D

Dynamic

Well, guys going back to the original bios on the C3d GTO card wasn't an issue as far as freezing or Lock-ups. It's totally fine without mod. I did overclock it to 560/580 and got a 5915 on 3DMark05, which is pretty damn good don't you think? Everything on my board settings is fine, I have my CPU @ 270x9 1.45v so if i put the CPU-NB link to Auto, it will just use "800" which would be over 1000, do the math 270x4(800). Memory flex is disabled and my settings is as follows: (Set to DDR333) running @221mhz 2225-1T 3.4v w/Ocz Booster. My PCI-E is set to Async @ 100. The overclocking feature on Ati Tool i never had any problems with, you might be right on the stress part though. I just tried flashing to the C3DGTO modded bin file and it didn't do it for me, so i just went through the same routine again. Now i have my 16pp back and it's clocked at 400/490 w/o fan @100% on Ati Tool. The fan helps when you try to overclock it from 16pp or from 12pp, cause it keeps it under 70c at least for my system. It's been about 15 minutes since i've been using my computer with the mod, but i have a feeling it's going to hit sooner then you think with the freezing bs! I don't know if it's bad pipelines on this card or just incompatible with the ASRock board. I did flash my bios for this board from 1.20 to 1.30 which is the lastest from their site.
This didn't work for me when i got back to WINXP
Flashrom -f -p 0 modded gto bios
So i had to just do this...
Flashrom -f -p 0 (powercolor x800xt bios) -newbios
Flashrom -f -p 0 (original bios)
then booted into windows w/ 16pp from Ati Tool.

D

Dynamic

Okay, i'm just going to keep my card at 12pp 560/580 until my Zalman VF700-CU arrives hopefully tomorrow or the next day. I just had a big crash, major artifacts/discoloration in Call of duty and weird noise computer from the inside of my computer at the same time. I don't know sounded like a little puppy, crazy! I'll see how this treats me now...

System Name Sample light
Processor AMD Phenom II 965
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Memory 2x 2GB G-skill PC8500
Video Card(s) Asus built AMD/ATI HD4850
Storage 500GB Wesern Digital green
Display(s) too ashamed to tell, but its an acer
Case Lian Li V2000
Audio Device(s) Echo Audiofire 2
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Windows XP pro SP3
first of all, let me apologize for advertising another site here,

but it might be usfull,

theres a guy whos nick is bluetooth who manages OCworkbench.com , hes on quite a friendly relationship with asrock since he use to review most of their boards even when no one else would, and he tends to get beta bioses for most asrock boards, he might have on site or in the forums a bios that could ease your problems for the 939dual-sata2,

theres also vmodding guides for the motherboard there done by some of the users

i´ve had a k7s8x and i know that some asrock boards might have problems with high end cards, so look if a beta bios or any special bios posted there might be a resolution to your problem

Ostsol

hi alltogether!

@Dynamic: the rare things about the problem are, that the freezes are coming only in 2D or then a change from a 3D application back to 2D take place and that also there are no freezes with the original X800GTO bios and oc wide above the frontier of 500/500 (XT!?), but then you are flashig the 16P mod Bios or an Powercolor XT Bios: FREEZE!

Isn´t in right, that in 2D the card doesn´t need as much electricity as in 3D?

For me it is defintely a MB problem. (I´ve heard that AsRock knew this problem...)

I don´t think that it is an temperature problem, because of so many member in HWLUXX in germany not having any problems with the C3D card@XT! (but also with NO AsRock Dual Sata II)

The second thing is that (my opinion) there is no difference between 12P and 16P in temperature. (my "old" 6800LE@16P has the absolutly same temperature with 12P and with 16P....only in addition of clock oc the temperature was rising...)

@Aevum: thanks for the tipp, but I know already three members who have tested out the ocw beta bios already, but it didn´t work... (and at the moment the relationship isn´t really such as good as it should be....there must be something bad had happened and so AsRock is a little p+++ off of that site....)

@all: has someone tried out the prog radlinker or radclocker already in combination with this card? (how locutus had mentioned)

-->or is there any difference in the Layout of an original Powercolor X800XT and an Connect 3D X800GTO?

Ostsol

Last edited:
D

Dynamic

Ostsol,
You're about right with what you've mentioned as far as the extra pipelines doesn't run any hotter. Mine crashes everywhere though, 3d/2d doesn't matter. I usually play Call Of Duty MP 1.5 on the net and it crashed big time, hey do you have your stock fan running at 100% controlled through Ati Tool? I heard some crazy noises the last time my system was crazy crashing on 16pp from the inside of my computer. Like throttling or little puppies barking, hehehehe. So you're buddies already tried other X800XL 2.0ns from C3D yet? I got it on my flash drive, but it's like 5am right now, heheeh don't really feel like going through anyother maze. ASRock knew about this, that's crazy! I hope they fix this shit, cause i'm pissed. I haven't used either one of Radlinker or Radclocker, always used Ati Tool .24.
Aevum,
I talk to him all the time, besides i'm not trying any of those betas, my system is running rock solid with the Official release 1.3 and the stock 12pp GTO running at 560/570 anyway. Yeah, i'm on that forum dude, look me up we have a whole thread about this card, the GTO. Come to OCworkbench.com and look into ASRock forums, really helps....

D

Dynamic

C3D GTO w/16pp 540/560 Stable...

Okay here is what i did, i left all of my overclocking back to default on the CPU and Ram. I have my 3000+ Venice E3 @200x9 w/auto voltage and my memory @200 2225-1t "High" 3.0v w/Ocz Booster. I have everything else like PCI-E/CPU-NB on AUTO. I can't tell at this moment if this is a PSU issue or the ASRock motherboard yet! What power supplies are your buddies running? I'm running the OCZ 520 Modstream which i thought could do the trick. Not until i got this card it started to fluctuate really bad dropping from 12.28v to 11.89/11.92v on the 12v Rail. I don't know if it was doing the same when i started the "Find Artifacts" in ATI TOOL before or just now since this is a more powerful car then my old 9800XT AGP overclocked from 412/365 to 437/384. I'm running Everest Home Edition 2.20 and SpeedFan 4.26 to tell the voltage/temps. So far i got the 16pp stable at 400/490. I just cranked it up couple of hours ago to 540/560 w/stock cooling. Thought i just saw something on the screen but that could of been my bad concious. I'm getting my Zalman VF700-CU tomorrow, so i'll do further testing later, for now i'll run Call Of Duty MP 1.5 patch to see if i have anymore problems. Let me know what's going on dude, thanks. :rockout:
Rig:
AMD64 3000+ @1.8g
OCZ EL DDR400 @200 2225-1T "High" 3.0v w/OCZ DDR Booster
ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 Bios:1.20
Connect3D GTO @16pp 540/560 w/stock cooling so far....
OCZ 520 Modstream
Aluminum 6 fan case...

D

Dynamic

Nevermind it just froze again, when i went to log back into this site to spell check something.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dynamic

y0 what forum are these dudes on that are having the same problem as me? Did they try the OCWBETA1 and OCWBETA2 also? This is probably a mother board issue, but it's so strange! I wonder if you get the Connect3D X800XT running on the same board would it do the same thing? How did you hear about ASRock knowing about this issue? There are no workaround bios revisions are they? This is the most gayest thing i ran too ever since i built this rig, this really blows hardcore! I really don't know what to do. I was going to try those beta bios' but i don't think they'll help since BlueTooth said it's from his site and not from ASRock, plus they might be unstable with my CPU/RAM overclock maybe? Let me know where these dudes are in which forum, i want to talk to them, thanks.

Ostsol

Hello again!

So you are really not lucky, are you @Dynamic? :shadedshu

It´s really a shame, that this problem only take place on the AsRock Dual Sata and NO other Board.... :wtf:

You want to know, who the other guys are, who have this problems too?

Here are the three links: (two have similar themes and one should be show you, that so many other users don´t have any problems with this card, but in combination with other boards!?)

1. http://www.forumdeluxx.de/forum/showthread.php?t=166551&page=3
2. http://www.pc-treiber.net/thread.php?threadid=1601&page=4
3. http://www.forumdeluxx.de/forum/showthread.php?t=163376&page=28

The forums are all in german, I hope you have no problems in understanding them! ;)

From the site pc-treiber they have also their bios: 0.4XX

One User there have no probs in running his card as an XT (16P, 500/500) without freezes at the moment! (he modified the original@16P Bios with Rabit 1.7 --> took the clockrates to 500/500 and changes the ID from original to the ID of an X800XT. Now the card is recommended as an X800XT by the Catalyst! And with the ATI Tool he changes his clockrates for 2D to 350/350 and let startup his Windows with this rates.....no probs so long..)

MfG,

Ostsol

D

Dynamic

Yeah no luck with 16pp 520/520 either, just froze in COD MP. I put all my overclocking settings back for my CPU/RAM. and reflashed back to my original bios for the GTO clocked at 560/580 to do further testing. I can maybe mess around with Rabit, but i probably have better luck just keeping the 12pp and overclocking it there. Anything new and exciting? :)

Ostsol

..I am back again:

just a little info:
the member in PC-Treiber net runs his system without freezes since last wednesday evening!

So he runs his system:
"Also nochmal das Wichtigste von mir zusammengefasst:

Mainboard Bios 0.3xx (0.4xx) dort PCI-E Turbo AUS

Grafikkarte: originalBios@16P@ID X800XT@500/500default

Treiber: Catalyst 5.10 CCC (nach ID Wechsel wird Karte dort als X800XT erkannt)

ATI Tool:at Windows startup 2D auf 350/350, 3D auf 520/520 gestellt"

Good night!

Ostsol

D

Dynamic

Ostsol,
So the guy that is successful is only hitting 520/520 on 16pp with the C3d GTO on his ASRock board? So let me get this straight, he flashed his card with the modded bios from Wizzard, then changed the ID/Freq to x800xt 500/500, then he's using ati tool to keep it at 350/350 on desktop/2d and he's using Radlinker for his games at 520/520 for now? What's the ID he's using on Rabit 1.7? What about the memory timing, no need since it's the same bios right? Hmm, i'm thinking about returning my card and just going with a GTO2 at Allstarshop.com @$255 w/o tax. Yeah, nothing helps keeping it at 16pp for me dude, i'm just leaving it at 12pp and sitting at 560/570 since it seems to be stable. Maybe little bit more mhz on the memory, but i can't hit 580 vpu errors in games and what not. So just let me know step by step what he exactly did, and what's his scores with the system @stock or o/c? Thanks man, you've been a great help to me dude....

3DMark03:12448
3DMark05:5889

Ostsol

...hello again...

I´ll try to give you a step by step lead:

1. flashing the mobo with the 0.3xx(0.4xx) Bios from www.pc-treiber.net
2. in the bios he disabled the so called PCI-E turbo
3. he opened the original@16P bios from Wizzard with Rabit 1.7 and changes the clock rates to 500/500 and changes the original ID to the ID of the Powercolor X800XT
4. after that he flashed his card with that modified bios
5. after flashing the card was recommended as an X800XT from the Catalyst (he uses the 5.10 CCC Version, but disables the CCC after the first changes in that fits for him for resolution and so on with the Autostart-Manager 2.5 from LAB1)
6. he uses the ATI Tool for changes the clock rates for 2D in 350/350 and for 3D in 520/520 (he don´t use Radclock!) and let start ATI-Tool with this rates at Windows start up.

After that: no Freezes any more since that!

I hope that helps you a little bit!

Have a nice day!

Ostsol

P.S: he uses no other vid-card cooler, so the card runs with its original stock cooler! (he has not posted any scores up to now, sorry!)

Sejanus

Hey folks, thought I'd post my results with the Connect3D GTO

Important note: I *am* using a ASRock 939 Dual SATAII motherboard, bios 1.20

I was pretty nervous reading about all the problems folks have had with this card, mysterious crashes, and this motherboard.

The important bits of the rest of my rig:

X2 3800+ (currently not OC'd--that's next!)
Connect3D GTO 256MB PCIe unlocked to 16pipes, running at 560/560, using powercable included with the Connect3D retail package, and stock cooling
XP Service pack 2
2x512mb of PCIq DDR400 memory
Ultra X-Connect 500watt powersupply
Ultra Red Dragon midtower case (nice big puppy for lots of airflow) w/2-4 80MM case fans
I do have some case fans and a cpu fan that are all positioned just right to blow on the backside RAM, and give the card some extra cooling.

3DMark05 benches:

Connect3D GTO 12pp 400/490: 4436
12pp 520/560: 5478
16pp 400/490: 4961
16pp 560/560: 6314

For kicks, 3DMark03 16pp 560/560: 12158

Well, overclock-wise, that's even better than the stock x800xt, and *so far* it seems stable (knock on wood).

Question:
I didn't really check temps before flashing to 16pp, but at stock speeds and 16 pipes, it runs at 76C under load. Is this good/bad/normal? OC'd, it doesn't seem to run more than 79-81C. I'm not really comfortable replacing the heatsink on the card, so I'd like to know what temps I should be aiming for. Update--I played with the fan control in ATItool, and if I want noise, I can set it at 100%, and it'll stay at 74C under load at 560/560. Still like some thoughts/advice.

Oddity:
I purchased my card from Newegg. It was supposed to be new, retail box. It came and was not in shrinkwrap. I opened it, and the antistatic bag and the manuals, none of that was sealed. The bag looked even like it had been untaped once already, and there may have been a fingerprint on that diagonal metal strip on the back of the board. I'm thinking I got someone's return. Of course, if it remains stable and those temps are good temps, I'll keep it, but it really kinda steamed me that I'd be paying for new, and getting used.

Thanks a lot Wizz and to the other posters on this board!

D

Dynamic

Sejanus,
Yeah, those temps. are high, you should keep them well below 70c at load. I got my Zalman VF700-CU and it does so much better in cooling then stock cooler. I idle @34/31 (GPU)/(GPU ENVIRON.) which is the best it gets i think. And when at full load it barely touching 60c. So you're cpu is not overclocked eh? How about your ram, which timings and MA TIMING (1t or 2t) are you running them at? How did you flash it anyhow?
Example:
ATIFLASH -f -p 0 (moddedgto.bin) from Wizzard and that's it? Did you use the -newbios command? Yeah, have your fan run at 100% on load dude, it's not good for it to hit 80, that's hot as heck. Nice scores, i did get my GTO @16pp 540/560 on 3DMark05 @6400 but just weird freezes so i had to bring it back to 12pp w/original bios. It actually crashed not froze cause it brought me back to desktop from COD2 on 12pp 560/570 so i'm running it at 560/550 for now, but i'm going to try the other power connector that came with the box and see what happens, i don't think that matters to be honest. This is so wack, i'm losing so much money in this crap.