1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Crashes to Black Screen While Gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheMailMan78, Jun 23, 2008.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright Iv updated all my drivers and defraged everything on the HD including the registry. However I keep running into the same exact issue. After a few hours of play of sometimes just after a few minutes my display goes black and loses the signal from my tower.

Now whatever ambient sound was playing at the time is still there but anything else like gun fire or people talking is gone. Most of the time when I play COD4 the last thing I am left hearing is a helicopter or the rain. The only way I can reproduce this every time is in the Lost Coast bench. Right as the cannon fires on the village I lose signal and everything but one sound. It always causes me to hard restart. I'm really lost as to causing this. Any ideas or advice is welcome!

2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    is this an issue on all games, or just cod4?

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I get it in Titans Quest and HL2 also.

4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure game is fully updated with latest patches. I believe they are up to 1.6 now. patch 1.5 covered servers issues and 1.6 covers sound issues. Most patches require you to have previouse patches installed first.

5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like your overheating your video card. Try ramping up the fan for 100% in RivaTuner. Report back with results.

6. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    sounds like it either the GPU or the powersupply. My bet would be your vid card. Maybe a heat issue.

7. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:

Lots of ATI users have had issues with the HD sound drivers from ATI(3000 series and up). Uninstall them from Add/Remove Programs and restore the realtek drivers. This may solve the issue.

8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah man like I said everything is up to date. Games and drivers.

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Im thinking it maybe my PSU as its not that great because I used to have an HD2900 and never had an issue with heat. In theory this is a HD3870 I'm using so heat shouldn't be an issue compared to what I had. But of course the PSU used to push the HD2900 without a problem too.

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I ran Rivatuner as JrRacinFan suggested and I got the same issue last night. Only difference is when she lost signal this time I got stuck with a looping sound that worked its way into noise. This is really pissing me off because with the exception of this one problem my system runs great.

I have a lot of services turned off for performance reasons. Could I have turned something off to cause this?

11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I get these same conditions when I OC my GX2 too far and temps go above 90'c. My first guess would be your gfx card is over-heating. Try opening up your case, ramping up the fan speed and see it that helps.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Your system specs are really very helpful to be honest dude.

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you being sarcastic? I'm asking because there listed right under my name. Is there something more you would need to know thats not listed?

As for over heating I agree it sounds like that but I had an HD2900 in there for over a year without an issue. I wonder if the 3870s are more sensitive. Also could a disabled service cause a bomb like this?

14. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    I a-beg your pardon, I mis-read who's specs. Sorry dude. It was Namslas' stupid specification that I thought was yours.

Sorry about that.

15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No pardon needed. :toast:
    However a solution would be great!

16. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Please choose more descriptive thread titles in the future. I've changed it to something more appropriate.

17. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe the on-board audio crapping out on you?

18. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Yeah like, intel igent suggested. Try turning everything that you don't need off in your BIOS. For example I turn off my non-existent floppy drive, disable any ports such as serial, firewire and so on. You get the idea.

Try that.

19. R_1

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like overclocking issue to me (hardware related too). If the card is on stock speed, then the easiest way to deal with it is RMA. The hard way is to improve cooling to the VGA card. First to start with is checking temps , then turn all fans in the PC case and VGA card to 100%. If the sound from PC fans is awful you may leave them in quiet RPM and just remove the rear cover of the PC case.
    This is basically all you can do without violating manufacturer warranty.

20. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    I get the exact same problem. I have done everything the OP has done also. I have an BFG 8800gts 320mb OC edition and even with the fan at 100% it still locks up. Funny thing is that sometimes ctrl+alt+del works, but then after that it just freezes and the black screen pops back up. I've even tried downclocking the card a lot and i am still getting the lockups. A few times it has came up with the 'windows has recovered from a serious error message' and it blames the Nvidia drivers., but even after uninstalling them it still locks up. Any help is apreciated.

21. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I know I had some issues with ATI drivers, ATI Tool and PunkBuster, but you are getting issues beyond that. And Rivatuner has a deal to mask so that PB doesn't cause that blank screen/looping sound issue, at least newer versions do.

What services did you disable? I usually don't mess with that stuff much anymore, because sometimes what a service does goes beyond it's general description and operation, and can have negative effects on things that may seem unrelated to that service. I'd rather have stability than a small ammount of extra speed or a little extra RAM anymore. Maybe re-enable them to see if anything changes.

22. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure Spread Spectum is "DISABLED" in your bios. Check your manual if have this option or not.

23. R_1

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem described hire with Nvidia VGA card , when I overvolted and overclocked it. Never use stock cooling when doing so, because electronic components becomes extremely hot! Even with heavily modified cooling (Accelero S1 + small Vram sinks on all mosfets and hot ICs + 2x120mm fans) there is a point when screen lockup's are inevitable and this is the overclocking barrier for the particular card.
    There was a IC controlling Vcore on the back side on my VGA card that was small and extremely hot. Putting a Vram sink on it helped me to squeeze some more Mhz from the core without screen lockup's. But be extremely careful with this particular IC , because it is low profile and aluminum sink can do some electrical shortage with nearby resistors.
    What I did was simply to get one ordinary Vram sink. Took off it's protective plastic strip. Made a exact square hole on the strip to match IC's body passing through it. Put back the modified strip on the sink and gently put in into place over the top of the IC.

24. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    I have had this same issue but not always while gaming. I think it is a driver thing as I have had it happen while just browsing the web and listening to music.

Black screen, still hear my audio going, but also for me my usb devices shut off.

25. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    I have downclocked the card to the lowest it can run at with 100% fan speed and it's still locking up. I'm sure it can't be my psu as it has quad 18A rails. Hmmm....