1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair AX1200i PSU & unknown TAICON capacitors?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by parzillum, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    My NEX1500 have NIPON CHEMI-CON Electrolytics and some others...
    No doubt all of them are good and known names but Chemi-Con are from Japan not Korea and Japan caps are know and famous in whole that industry like best.
    You know everywhere manufacturer when want customers to be sure in quality they put 100% Japanese Caps 105C...
    I believe CORSAIR at the end and quality of that unit, at the moment that is best on market, they know what they do... but this is not good movement. They need to write that in review and on site all information exactly like people buy, because this is top class and what is than with lower if people for 350$ buy look and wait weeks that review with money for PSU and they pay Chemi-Con and get TAICON.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
  3. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't read text in such broken English since hearing chinese gold farmers on WoW a year back :laugh: Totally legit forum marketing post?

qubit says thanks.
  4. Binge

Thanks Received:
    There's no need for wild speculation and stereotypes. This could be a really disgruntled enthusiast. I've dealt with enthusiasts who come from countries with street addresses that span two whole sentences.

Its just really poor form for the OP to be whining EVERYWHERE. He should have been banned from [H] TBH. A forum has no need for someone who is going to be so tactless with their product concerns. J-Guru basically tells him that the affected caps are a non-issue.

5. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    Well I paid a premium and got something else instead. Sure it might not affect the performance but its the thought of knowing that you were swindled.

6. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
  7. Binge

Thanks Received:
    That is an argument. Go ahead and test the results. Those filter caps do nothing to stabilize your rails or some such nonsense.

8. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    I did say im not concerned about the performance and how they achieved it but when a review sample is different from the real product there should be some notice of that. I think most would agree with me on that one.

9. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Then get mad at every DRAM rebrand. They change ICs ALL the time.

10. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Changing brand is fine. It's when the new stuff is inferior to the old stuff that it's bad. And in this case it's inferior.

11. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Yes so let's think about it. These are filter-caps with the exact same operating parameters and tolerances as the caps in the review. My ish with this is that many sources (other forums the OP has posted in) verified these caps aren't inferior by design.

12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Well, let's hope they aren't, but I don't have much confidence. When they replace known top brand caps with something one's never heard of and doesn't have a great reputation, you know something is wrong.

adulaamin says thanks.
  13. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Im not sure what the big deal is, caps are easy to replace.

14. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    I guess Corsair are confident enough with those Taicon Caps coz they wouldn't put them on such a high end PSU or offer 7 years warranty if they weren't... Although I wish the review samples they sent should've been with those same caps so things like this wouldn't happen... :)

RCoon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is a valid point, why would they openly allow themselves to lose money on PSU's popping because of cheap caps on that much of a warranty. I guess if they get the job done to a satisfactory degree. If you've paid the money for high quality products, return it and buy an alternative PSU brand.

16. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    As JonnyGURU said on this guy's post on their forum, the caps are only on the modular board (which regular PSUs don't have) so the PSU would likely do fine without them being there, and the only role they play is filtering whatever got past all the other caps in the PSU.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  17. Binge

Thanks Received:
    ^This.

You know they could have played it like the Antec 1200 and put that filter cap in line. That way you wouldn't be able to see what kind of cap it was and quadruple the width of the wire.

adulaamin says thanks.
  18. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    I'm big CORSAIR Fan and I am ready to forgive them all kind of little things, everybody around me know that, but this is not little things. They can't to this even for double better parts. END. What is next Main Capacitors,... Don't show details inside hardware anymore and that's...Why when maybe sometimes inside is something else...
    Thousand words in past to show why is some manufacturer better than other and than delete everything ....that is not important any more...
    I understand why people complain... You can say what you want I read many text when manufacturer try to explain why is Nipon Japan best on market and than when they need to change that is not important any more... You can say what you want I don't care only I know how people feel. I know one customer is small to fight with this because all kind of games playing and all kind of people support what they think in that moment, tomorrow they will change words, but this world go to hell long time ago...only because humans and because some people think you can show some parts, sell other and after that say that is same.
    But I don't care anymore and strong support customer. I would rather choose AX1200 Gold now without doubt and that's it.
    Choose Japan over Korea is simple.

And I read first reaction on problem from one guy on Johnny Guru Forum. That guy know lot of PSU and he is from my country. He know unimaginable things about PSU close to all them on Johnny Guru site he say that caps are not so important but reaction is not so naive like some people try to present(probably not AX1200i customers)same like conclusion where TAICON is not near to Nipon Chemi-Con but it's seem one day you can go on black list next time you go in top class.
    Because if someone ask for ban if someone talk about this and because this discussion I see that behavior only in people close to mafia or politicians.
    It's good because we see on motherboards who make them and when Korean show up I can cross on PS3 without opening hardware.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  19. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I ended up with two AX1200i.

One I purchased off of Amazon and another off of newegg because of the nice new 299.99 sale that they had.

The newegg (Lot #12349520) one is mixed bags. Has two taicon caps at SATA 1 and 2.

The Amazon (Lot #12359526) one is pure Taicon.

adulaamin says thanks.
  20. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    Something happen maybe in last hour, maybe shortage in Nipon, maybe bigger price,...
    I don't know I have PSU for long time and I strongly support CORSAIR but Platinum series not exist for me after this. I say Gold is somehow cooler for me, Platinum is little improvement better waiting that Titanium Standard for 2-3 years maybe with some new connector types and 90% efficiency in idle.
    I want always Japan Caps.
    But If I look in past I can't remember some CORSAIR bad move.
    That is everything HW on highest level than competition, they know what put inside but movement is not good at all.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  21. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I wonder why solid caps aren't used in PSU's. Is this from a technical standpoint or a price one? Massive solid caps could be very expensive if they even exist. But then again some would pay that premium.

22. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Because we all know you're getting a supernova...

23. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    No it's not because SuperNOVA. But I prefer PSU with Japan Caps and Sanoy Denki fans inside.
    They make better fans than Yate Loon. Much less complain about AX650/750/850 than AX1200 fan.
    AX series is for me most interesting series on market but not Platinum.
    I would choose rather AX Gold. Everything what die CORSAIR will change fast without complain and I would change always my X-750 for AX750 but not for AX760i.
    And yes its wonderful feeling when you know little sleeved power plant is inside case.

24. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    Solid caps is always used in a good PSUs. Not in the primary stage though, mainly in secondary stage, DC-DC converter, and modular connectors board.