• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU Cooling and Lapping: Stock Intel vs Zulman

In the Ether...probably eating cheetos atm.
System Name Surprising Mini Duece
Processor i3-550 3.2ghz/core (nice little gamer, 98% games = dual core code only)
Motherboard ASUS P7H55M-LE
Cooling Cooler Master Vortex
Memory 8GB Patriot Signature Series 1.5v DDR3 1333Mhz w/ spreaders.
Video Card(s) Old slugger ... EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb SC edition. Soon to be retired.
Storage Segate Sata II 64mb cache 1TB single platter.. fast but chirpy lol
Display(s) 1x Asus VS247h-p 2ms LOVE IT, 1x Sceptre 22" Naga 2ms, 1x 20inch Samsung Syncmaster
Case Aerocool QX-2000 .. my latest project
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD
Power Supply Seasonic x650 Gold! Primo 105Celisius Jap cap wonder.
Software Whatever I can pirate ;) lol jk .. Windows 7 legit license
Benchmark Scores LOL I still get rock steady 57-60FPS in Skyrim on medium settings no AA on this 5 year old video car

LOL that's awesome Brandon, I see you decided to get it out of the closet, dust it off and set it up. NICE! Bravo! Thanks for the picture. Put it up in the Vulcan thread I created. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...81#post2587081

I like that this shows a nice big card in it. The ones from NZXT with the dual Radeon cards didn't show it's distance from the front bay cages well. this one does show that there is still a couple inches room left. nice!

Good example of why modular power supplies are a blessing for small cases :p

Agreed, which is why my Seasonic x650 is on it's way ;)... but in all fairness to Brandon, he contacted me 2 days ago saying that Vulcan case was sitting in his closet unused and he was gonna try to sell it to me. I had one on the way so I declined. I'm guessing he threw/Frankstiened this together in couple of days/hours... good job Brandon! :rockout::toast:

PS I got the Vulcan case though I'm probably not going to go IB and instead wait for HASWELL. :( ... looks like you're passing on the legacy Brandon and my Vulcan will sit in my closet till it's time comes lol. I got an Aerocool QX-2000 on the way :) I'm gonna paint/powder coat it, cut some 92mm or 120mm intake holes in the top, a 60mm exhuast on the right side by the RAM slots and stick in a H40 push pull on the intake hole! lol
I'll create a thread for that one too.. The Vulcan project won't be dead just in a comma till Haswell! lol

Last edited:
In the Ether...probably eating cheetos atm.
System Name Surprising Mini Duece
Processor i3-550 3.2ghz/core (nice little gamer, 98% games = dual core code only)
Motherboard ASUS P7H55M-LE
Cooling Cooler Master Vortex
Memory 8GB Patriot Signature Series 1.5v DDR3 1333Mhz w/ spreaders.
Video Card(s) Old slugger ... EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb SC edition. Soon to be retired.
Storage Segate Sata II 64mb cache 1TB single platter.. fast but chirpy lol
Display(s) 1x Asus VS247h-p 2ms LOVE IT, 1x Sceptre 22" Naga 2ms, 1x 20inch Samsung Syncmaster
Case Aerocool QX-2000 .. my latest project
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD
Power Supply Seasonic x650 Gold! Primo 105Celisius Jap cap wonder.
Software Whatever I can pirate ;) lol jk .. Windows 7 legit license
Benchmark Scores LOL I still get rock steady 57-60FPS in Skyrim on medium settings no AA on this 5 year old video car
Final word

Well I'm pretty sure this post is dead but might as well finish it off with final numbers. I planned on doing a test for both lapped and unplapped stock intel vs. the zalman but as it turns out this thread went in a nother direction. Sorry for that.

As it turns out though I went for the Aerocool QX-2000 case and added a Coolermaster Vortex. I went with the vortex because when I switched to the Aerocool case i needed something smaller than the Noctua. The Coolermaster Vortex is only 80mm tall and fits PERFECT in the QX-2000.

Final numbers are that it decreased idel temps by @5degrees C per core and at load decreased over all CPU temp by 11 Degrees Celcius and that's with fans on optimal and not even full rpm. Not bad for only $24.00 upgrade :)

Attachments

• Vortex_temps.jpg
    Vortex_temps.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 346
Last edited: