1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crunchers Helping Crunchers

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL. So man, where's my free x58?:laugh: Nah, as I stated, I'm just looking for a really good price on one, and would like everyone to keep there eyes out for me. :D

2. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll: if thats the case, let me put my name up on that list too!!! free x58 boards everyone!!! :roll:

3. twilyth Guest

did you get a response on this?

I have one that is clear IIRC - color is silver from the shielding - but will have to find it to be sure. It's 40 pin/80 conductor. I think the connectors are blue.

4. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup. I'm sending him one or two with some other goodies. :)

Chicken Patty says thanks.
  5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Yup, looks like Paulie has me covered. Thanks for asking though :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    My server could use a faster dual core if anyone has one for cheap. Its a celeron dual core, I'll have to check what cores are supported by the motherboard when I get home, but its an emachines.

Also if anyone is interested, I'm wanting to upgrade to an i7. My current system is an e8500 with this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186153 motherboard. 3 Pci-e slots for folders too!
    If anyone is interested, I would like to trade my system plus cash for an x58 mobo and i7 processor. I would like to include the mobo, processor, ram, and hsf if possible (as these are all the parts that arent compatible between the two.) If the deal is good I would also pay shipping both ways. I dont game on my desktop atall anymore, so it sits crunching and folding 24/7, and i'd like for it to crunch moar. If the mobo has less than 3 pci-e slots I'd also put up an 8800gs in leiu of some of the cash (or as well as, if needed). Would make an awesome gaming rig for someone, or if maybe some of you people with multiple i7s want to share some of your pies with me :p

OR if anybody has some decent DDR2 for my main rig. Im running 667 now, and that board cannot seem to unlock the cpu clock from the ram clock like my old one could, so I cant get my e8500 to 4ghz because the darn ram sucks. 2-4gb of ddr2 800 or 1066 would help me get it to 4ghz.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  7. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    i'm putting up your request for the trade with a link to your post for details. good luck.

***NOTE***

For those wondering, this thread is about finding parts to help build crunchers or get them running. However, what Papahyooie is requesting is not parts. But still if he can go from a E8500 to a i7 then his output will increase a lot. You never know who comes in here to look, might just be that person that might want to trade :D.

Another side note, he does not meet the require average of 1000 points to be put up on the list (requirement explained in first post) however, he is not asking for anything so it does not matter.

@ Papahyooie

As far as the request for the replacement of the Celeron D, you are putting up some good numbers now and have before steadily, just your average is a bit low due to a few bad days recently, but your average is climbing again and fast. That's why I say also in the first post exceptions can be made :toast: Get us the specs on the mobo so I can specify what you looking for and i'll post it up in the list if you continue with the crunching you've been doing :toast:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  8. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry, i figured since it was pretty much exclusive for crunching, it was an appropriate post. Should I post it elsewhere? Feel free to move it, or i'll post it elsewhere, I just thought it fit in with the spirit of crunchers helping crunchers, since its all for crunching.

My average is down because 1: I cant seem to get everything to crunch consistantly. If you look at my graph its all over the map, and I cant seem to figure out why. Both my server and my main rig are on 24/7 as far as I know. I think my server may have not started back up crunching when I turned it back on after vacation, but its not hooked up to a monitor, so I have to see whats up. I also think maybe my roommates are turning them off while i'm asleep or at work. Also like I said, #2 is that last week I was on vacation and my roommates turned them off. The low spot on the 6th was because I had to reinstall windows on both machines, then updates, etc. If I can get them both to crunch consistantly at the same time i'll do around 1800 ppd. Its just a matter of time, and im trying. I thought I was way over the 1k requirement, but i just realized im not... which is frustrating and makes me want to get home and fix this crap even faster lol. Rest assured once it all gets ironed out though, you will def see the numbers level out.

9. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    don't worry bro, I explained why I think your request here is fine with me, I have already added it to the list. As far as the PPD average, I only explained so that people have an idea why and to avoid any possible discussions. Also, so that other members see more or less how I make my decisions when I make those "exceptions" I mentioned in the first post. So you are ok bro, just keep crunching.

Papahyooie says thanks.
  10. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Okidokey! I shall!

11. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    also try to give me a list of a few CPU's you can replace your Celeron D with. So I can add it to the list, at your rate you'll be fine as far as the average. You have over 1k points today :D

12. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    okay i'll take a look once i get home in the morning. I tried to find something in the net but without even a model number to work with atm i cant find anything.

As for my points, i know right? Why in the world do i have almost 1300 points today, but i have less than 700 yesterday when the same rigs were running the whole time... I just dont get it. And like i said i think maybe my server isnt even running, so that may just be the e8500. My roommates have to be turning them off.... heads are gonna roll...

13. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    :laugh::laugh:

did you put the CC file that dustyshiv provided? This makes WCG update after every WU is done, instead of every now and then. It eliminates inconsistency in points since WCG will be constantly updated.

Papahyooie says thanks.
  14. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    No i havent, is it in this thread?

15. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    i have attached the file for you. It goes in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BOINC

this is with windows XP, let me know if you have trouble finding the folder, then I will look for original post. Also make sure hidden folders are viewable as the "Application Data" folder is hidden by default.

Attached Files:

16. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY

Thanks Received:
    Kind of surprised there is no takers on this offer:( and i saw that stanhemi has no paypal??
    But if he has maybe a friend with paypal??? From what i could figure out,a pump will cost about $100.00 shipped canadian?So i will change my offer to $50.00 us (has to be paypal of some sort,because that's my computer play money)if any one OR some will match for the rest??

stanhemi and bogmali say thanks.
  17. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't mind helping out, but right now I can't. I am trying not to go into the shits again and come up. Sorry guys :(

GREASEMONKEY says thanks.
  18. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Folks-I am able to help him with the PSU issue but I am away from my dwelling ATM so I cannot ship it. Once I come back (which is next week), I will then ship him my back-up PSU. That would leave him without a temp GPU as he is RMAing it.

19. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Socket A motherboard with support for Barton core CPUs. IDE cables

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Things changed, YGPM :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    ???? :confused:

22. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Ive got a plain IDE cable (plenty actually) and an OE Socket A MB (no overclocking options, used to run Barton core Sempron, 8xAGP) that I would give up for just shipping. Worked the last time it was plugged in.

If that is what you need PM me, if its what you are offering- thanks for helping out the team!

PS- maybe this thread and the 'Pay it Forward' thread could be merged?

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    its what i need. theonedub i will pm you about it later. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    ^Ok, I will see about getting the MB out for the specific model and maybe snap a picture or two for you.

Big thanks to Twilyth who is sending me out a round IDE cable for free! My computer will be able to breathe :toast:

p_o_s_pc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    thanks POS for clarifying, and thanks onedub for the help. :toast: