• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Custom Hi-Fi Systems/Car Subwoofers for PC Speakers

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Audio Device(s) GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Benchmark Scores GET FUCKED
Amps Watts Volts Conversion Guide

Converting Watts to Amps

The conversion of Watts to Amps is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp
Converting Amps to Watts

The conversion of Amps to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1 amp * 110 volts = 110 watts

Converting Watts to Volts

The conversion of Watts to Volts is governed by the equation Volts = Watts/Amps

For example 100 watts/10 amps = 10 volts

Converting Volts to Watts

The conversion of Volts to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1.5 amps * 12 volts = 18 watts
Converting Volts to Amps at fixed wattage

The conversion of Volts to Amps is governed by the equations Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 120 watts/110 volts = 1.09 amps

Converting Amps to Volts at fixed wattage

The conversion of Amps to Volts is governed by the equation Volts = Watts/Amps

For Example, 48 watts / 12 Amps = 4 Volts

Explanation

Amps are how many electrons flow past a certain point per second. Volts is a measure of how much force that each electron is under. Think of water in a hose. A gallon a minute (think amps) just dribbles out if it is under low pressure (think low voltage). But if you restrict the end of the hose, letting the pressure build up, the water can have more power (like watts), even though it is still only one gallon a minute. In fact the power can grow enormous as the pressure builds, to the point that a water knife can cut a sheet of glass. In the same manner as the voltage is increased a small amount of current can turn into a lot of watts.

WOG-BOY

System Name V8 HAF 932
Processor Intel i7-860 O.C. @ 4.0ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master V8 LGA 1156, 6 case fans
Memory 4gb DDR3 1600mhz Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX460 1gb OC (GTS250 for PhysX)
Storage 2x 1tb Western digital 7200rpm RAID 0
Display(s) SONY BRAVIA 32" (main) ASUS VK266H (second)
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 MODDED
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Corsair HX-850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Thought I'd bump this thread again with some random audio information -

For maximum sound quality ala accuracy your not supposed to upsample things your supposed to have them outputed in whatever format quality the stuff is that your listenin to, i.e. most if not all mp3's are 16-bit, 44.1KHz so thats what i have my soundcard set to and if i play DTS its overrided anyways by my DAC through the passthrough directly :)

"If you're playing back 16-bit 44.1kHz sampled content without any processing, and the DAC is ideal, then increasing the sample rate or bitdepth will make no difference to the output quality. If the DAC is non-ideal, then upsampling in software can improved the measured performance. If the DAC is terrible, then ABXing this improvement by listening is possible (especially with torture signals!).

Increasing the bitdepth is only necessary to avoid a measurable decrease in quality if you're going to do any processing, e.g. EQ, ReplayGain, DSP, digital volume control, convolver etc etc. Most maths produces more bits, so it makes some sense to keep as many as possible. Otherwise you have to re-quantise the output of these stages back down to 16-bits, which is rather like dividing two by three, and then rounding to the nearest whole number! This is only ABXable on specific (mostly test) signals, but certainly improves the measured performance."

wow man u know way too much :p lol jks
im guessing u really love quality of sound?
im more for spl but still minimum distortion as possible

i was waiting for some1 to bump this thread :D dont know if ur alowed to double post or not

p.s. thanks for the coversions :)

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Solid-state VS Valve Amplification

The main advantage of a solid-state amplifier is that it uses "negative feedback" a feedback that literally fed back into the circuit - to stabilise the signal and improve gain (or volume). While this gives you plenty of power to drive massive speakers and hurt your neighbours, it does affect the characteristics of the audio signal.

Valve amps, on the other hand, use very little negative feedback and have very linear circuits. If your aim in amplifying an audio signal is to alter it as little as possible from the original , then a linear circuit has a good chance of doing that.

Something that baffles many valve n00bs is the apparent "weakness" of valve amps, in terms of power. An example of one called the PrimaLuna ProLogue FouR has only 35W per channel! What a piece of junk! But no: because valve amps are linear, their wattage "counts" for a lot more. About eight times more. So the ProLogue FouR can pump it with a 280W solid-state amp.

What is then true is that, dollar for dollar, it is much cheaper to get "valve sound" using a valve amp than it is to buy a very high-end solid-state system.

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
When you get lots of quality a usual bi-product, to me at least seems to be a lot of volume as well :)

WOG-BOY

System Name V8 HAF 932
Audio Device(s) stock
The main advantage of a solid-state amplifier is that it uses "negative feedback" a feedback that literally fed back into the circuit - to stabilise the signal and improve gain (or volume). While this gives you plenty of power to drive massive speakers and hurt your neighbours, it does affect the characteristics of the audio signal.

Valve amps, on the other hand, use very little negative feedback and have very linear circuits. If your aim in amplifying an audio signal is to alter it as little as possible from the original , then a linear circuit has a good chance of doing that.

Something that baffles many valve n00bs is the apparent "weakness" of valve amps, in terms of power. An example of one called the PrimaLuna ProLogue FouR has only 35W per channel! What a piece of junk! But no: because valve amps are linear, their wattage "counts" for a lot more. About eight times more. So the ProLogue FouR can pump it with a 280W solid-state amp.

What is then true is that, dollar for dollar, it is much cheaper to get "valve sound" using a valve amp than it is to buy a very high-end solid-state system.

im proberbly 1 of thoes noobs too.... dont know as much as most of these people here and there is a big difference with the amount of experience they have had to me...
im just guessing but i think my NAD amp comes into that value area, some1 said its 45W each channel yet can destroy my 3 way pioneer 90W speakers easy at low volume.

When you get lots of quality a usual bi-product, to me at least seems to be a lot of volume as well :)
haha yea proberbly but im thinking most of the high-end amps can only do that my Yamaha amp hasnt got as much quality as the NAD but the yamaha is newer.... cheap china products im guessing is the cause.

p.s. what do you think about kicker subs compared to rockford fosgate? eg build quality and correct rms

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Is your NAD a valve amp? otherwise, it's just the old factor of newer stuff is cheaper made having more short cuts made in manufacturing for cost cutting like *cough* Sony in their original PlayStations for example. I know someone who did mod chips on them and he said each revision they cut more and more cost out of it, and then on the Slimline one's they couldn't even run San Andreas without burning out the laser cos of the amount of data it had to keep constantly reading off the discs. Compared with the old days where products where made so company could make a name for themselves in supplying a decent product that would last for years to come, where as these days it's not about something being reliable unless you pay real top dollar, it's more about who can get their stuff out first with new technologies integrated and such, and rake as much money from it as possible. Well that's my opinion anyways.

WOG-BOY

System Name V8 HAF 932
Audio Device(s) stock
Is your NAD a valve amp? otherwise, it's just the old factor of newer stuff is cheaper made having more short cuts made in manufacturing for cost cutting like *cough* Sony in their original PlayStations for example. I know someone who did mod chips on them and he said each revision they cut more and more cost out of it, and then on the Slimline one's they couldn't even run San Andreas without burning out the laser cos of the amount of data it had to keep constantly reading off the discs. Compared with the old days where products where made so company could make a name for themselves in supplying a decent product that would last for years to come, where as these days it's not about something being reliable unless you pay real top dollar, it's more about who can get their stuff out first with new technologies integrated and such, and rake as much money from it as possible. Well that's my opinion anyways.

and a good opinion :toast:
i dont know if it is or not. i got it from my uncle not long ago, he has no information about it
and forogt the cost -_- ohwell it performes above my likings so i have nothing to complain about

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Yeah, sounds good, always liked the sound of the old NAD's and Rotels :)

WOG-BOY

System Name V8 HAF 932
Audio Device(s) stock
just wondering, can you wire a car subwoofer to a car amp using both front and rear channels bridged to gain the most power insted of using just 1 channel? im guessing it wont work but would be nice to know

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Yes you can, just make sure you read the amplifier's manual regarding bridging on your particular model. Also read this handy guide --> http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm

Processor amd phenom 2 x4 955 @3.8
Motherboard asus m4n68t v2
Cooling tx2 cooler
Memory kingston hyperx blu 1600mhz
Video Card(s) gtx460
Storage 300gb+320gb+500gb
Display(s) targa 19"
Case black
Audio Device(s) audigy 2
Power Supply 700 watt generic brand
Software win 7 64bit
just wondering, can you wire a car subwoofer to a car amp using both front and rear channels bridged to gain the most power insted of using just 1 channel? im guessing it wont work but would be nice to know

thats kinda what i randoly figured out with my dell sub. had to rewire it [rabits]
it was putting out no bass at all. also i have my stock pc speakers in ear output , amp in front , 1 day when i was tidying up the cables i ran a wire from back speakers to the amp . and then i had bass? it should have been working on its own but maybe it needed better signal /power? . i dont no that much about speakers/amps n sitch.

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
i think someone on here told me that if its line level (going into the amp) you cannot just put two channels together by splicing the wires together it makes the voltages too high or something. If it was speaker level (going out of the amp to speakers) thats fine.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
You cant join 2 diffrent line signals like that. Also connecting 2 speakers to one output changes their impendance depending if you connect them in parallel/series.
Bad configuration may fry amp/damage speakers.

Found some calc for that
http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
You cant join 2 diffrent line signals like that. Also connecting 2 speakers to one output changes their impendance depending if you connect them in parallel/series.
Bad configuration may fry amp/damage speakers.

Found some calc for that
http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

i new someone with better knowlege on the subject would be able to better describe what i was trying to say :p

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Ya, turns out you can do it if the sub is a dual voice coil, as you will be essentially using two internal amps from 2 bridges (ala bridging the 4 to a 2 channel) with somewhat changed impedances (as long as amp is bridging capable) to use one channel to power one coil then the other channel to power the remaining coil. If it is just a SVC sub which I have been informed it is, it cannot be done as double bridging causes too much impedance load on the amp, and will cause shorts and/or you will be left with a smelly mess of smoke and fire in the amplifier.

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Technically a double post, but hopefully someone will reply. I would just like some opinions on the subwoofer I now have on order. Looked around a bit at HSU, Dayton, SVS, B&W, PSB, Polk Audio, Wharfedale and Emotiva, but finally I decided to go with an Elemental Designs A2-250 subwoofer. Seems to go really low, be decently accurate, is really well built and has nice bit of power to boot. The product link is located here --> http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=406 . Tell me what you think, I'm personally looking really forward to my purchase :) [Edit: Went with the PSB SubSonic 5i, hard to order internationally from Elemental Designs]

Last edited:

WOG-BOY

System Name V8 HAF 932
Audio Device(s) stock
Haven't been on in a while and decided to update pics of my system, amps are still the same atm but have got a few more subs and other speakers. subs are very underpowered because of the weak PSU but investing in a 2 frad cap to keep up the voltages.

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Very good work, I think you have done quite well so far, keep it up, thumbs up :)

WOG-BOY

System Name V8 HAF 932
Audio Device(s) stock
haha thanks :) slowly the system will be as good as yours :p

Processor intel i5 2500k,atom280@1930mhz
Motherboard msi h61
Cooling i have cooler master V8 but now im on stock :P
Memory team group elite 2x2 1600 @1333 7 7 7 20
Video Card(s) sapphere 5850 toxic@900/1250
Storage WD 1TB green 5400 32mb ,WD 250gb 7200/8mb
Display(s) HP 22" 1680x1050 hdmi
Case asus vento
Audio Device(s) creative XFi fatality+creative gigaworksG500 5.1
Power Supply cooler master gx 750
Software win7,64bit
coool i have creative g500 5.1 with sub 130w rms and sattelite channels 36 w
my friend gave me his burnt creative s700 i used the soeakers rms 70w i didnt use the sub can i swich my sub with the s700 sub 130vs 230???

WOG-BOY

System Name V8 HAF 932
Audio Device(s) stock
coool i have creative g500 5.1 with sub 130w rms and sattelite channels 36 w
my friend gave me his burnt creative s700 i used the soeakers rms 70w i didnt use the sub can i switch my sub with the s700 sub 130vs 230???

so you want to change the driver from one box to another? if yes they would have to be the same size sub woofer to fit in the existing hole. you would be better asking SabreWulf69, he knows a lot more about it then me. the s700 sub doesnt have to match the g500 Watt rating just needs to be higher then the g500 rms

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
yeah just make sure it matches the hole size, your mileage will vary, alas it should work well

F1reFly

Processor Phenom 2 965 Black Edition OC
Motherboard MSI G65
Cooling H50 Liquid Cooling
Memory 6 gig DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 580
Storage Corsair Real SSD c300
Display(s) Sony 40" 3D LED TV
Case Fractal Design-define mini
Audio Device(s) Creative Sigma 3d
Power Supply Tagen 900 watt
Software Windows 7 x64
How on earth do you use car audio gear in your home and keep them all sounding clean? not to mention turn it on/off with convenience?
years ago, i remember i used a battery charger, battery and hooked up some Rockford punch amp and two 12's, freaking pounded, but very power inefficient and was far from the cleanest sound.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Haven't been on in a while and decided to update pics of my system, amps are still the same atm but have got a few more subs and other speakers. subs are very underpowered because of the weak PSU but investing in a 2 frad cap to keep up the voltages. http://img.techpowerup.org/101017/IMG00020-20101017-1648.jpg http://img.techpowerup.org/101017/IMG00024-20101017-1649.jpg http://img.techpowerup.org/101017/IMG00022-20101017-1649.jpg

Do NAD still have that very tight bass ?.

Processor intel i5 2500k,atom280@1930mhz
Motherboard msi h61
Cooling i have cooler master V8 but now im on stock :P
Memory team group elite 2x2 1600 @1333 7 7 7 20
Video Card(s) sapphere 5850 toxic@900/1250
Storage WD 1TB green 5400 32mb ,WD 250gb 7200/8mb
Display(s) HP 22" 1680x1050 hdmi
Case asus vento
Audio Device(s) creative XFi fatality+creative gigaworksG500 5.1
Power Supply cooler master gx 750
Software win7,64bit
yeah just make sure it matches the hole size, your mileage will vary, alas it should work well

it is the same size ohms too but the wattage is more for the s700 woofer also i noticed it is dual coil woofer :ohwell: mabe it wont fit>??