1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell is back to their old tricks. This is why I hate Dell!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by newtekie1, Jan 31, 2014.

1. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Some company will make a adapter before long and it will be easier to upgrade.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I own one of those machines, it is a standard laptop adapter. I'm actually using a Rocketfish universal adapter I bought at BestBuy to power it because it didn't come with a power adapter when I got it.

Yeah, it is different for a desktop, but at least it is still something standard that can be picked up off the shelf locally when it needs replacing.

I'm hoping that is the case, but not holding my breath.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    Why? Is there something I am not aware of?
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the world of capitalism, where greed feasts upon itself.
  5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i for one, am going to support this being a modder and all.

modern psus all are single channel units.
    so there is no need for a huge 24pin connector thats obsolete. if you want more connections for phases, divide them onboard. why waste space by routing so much copper around the case ??

obviously dell saw this and did accordingly. easier to make PSUs that way and to fix them as well.

if you want to fix the psu on this one, get a standard one. and match the wires with them.
    measure and note the colors and voltages of the lines now when they are okay.

then solder appropriate connections to proper lines on new psu and it will work.
  6. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Nothing really new here...3btech and Ascendtech both have vast supplies of OEM BTX boards like this for like $20...as in they have unique or just plan stupid connections.
    As PC's become more efficient so will psu adapters and sizes....since I've been building PC's I believe ATX is the 3rd standard I've used and the longest lasting... kinda hope it is near its useful lifespan and is replaced for something smaller.

EDIT:
    I think it was XT/AT then ATX but what was before that?...I can't remember
  7. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    You bought a dell and didn't expect it to be a cheap internet and word processing machine?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014
  8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    No, he repairs them. The client bought them. It's harder to repair something that you can only get from Dell.

Also, insulting members (ie. calling them dumb,) is against the rules. There is no need to go calling people names, even more so when you don't seem to understand what's going on in @newtekie1 's case. Read the thread and and re-read what you post before you post it.
  9. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it is buddy. :toast:

@everyone responding in this thread

Let's keep it clean guys. If you can't respond without name calling then don't.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    newtekie1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I worked in build at dell in TN and the optiplexes were on the backburner and low priority. Those were rushed the fastest, had the cheapest parts, and the least testing.Literally. People would drop a HDD and accidentally step on it, they did this to other parts too and put them back in the system. The floor was not very clean as well. and I would tell the supervisor and they would shrug thier shoulders and walk away. I wouldn't do any of that crap I tested them more then other people did and I actually did a good job. I didn't care if I spent too long and got yelled at I wanted the customer to have a better system and done right. Too bad others didn't feel the same.
    newtekie1 and TRWOV say thanks.