1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DirectX 11.2 Exclusive to Windows 8.1 and Xbox One

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jul 4, 2013.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    By that time Ill be dead, so I guess that's a good thing.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Get gamers to buy the PS4 and you'll get better OpenGL developement.:p

Seriously though, with the PS4 using OpenGL, I see a shift towards OpenGL as the game standard, since games will be extremely easy to port from the PS4 to Windows and OSX and Linux. I wouldn't be surprised if devs start developing for the PS4 originally, in OpenGL, so they can easily porting the game to PC/OSX/Linux, and then porting the game to Xbone.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  3. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think he meant that OpenGL can be had on Windows, too.

There was a time when most AAA games on Windows were made for OpenGL. Besides, there's nothing on OpenGL on Linux that you don't have on OpenGL on Windows. OpenGL and its ICD (client driver) are supplied by GPU makers (in their drivers), anyway.

Ah, people who can't read.
  4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    oooh, that is good news indeed!
  5. Mckertis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe, but honestly, DX10 STILL pretty much is, as if it didnt exist at all.

Power is the least important aspect of a console. Never was important. Never will.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It truly makes the most sense. Thing is, things that make the most sense in this world aren't usually the things that are implemented.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    There's no incentive for backwards compatibility on Xbone (e.g. fewer support calls).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. birdie

birdie

Thanks Received:
    Really?

An obvious lie. DirectX indeed brought new effects, but surely that wasn't Crysis that had them.
  9. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    The very fact that multi-platform releases have to work with the PS4 (and possibly the WiiU) means that DX11.2 will only be seen on Microsoft exclusives.

OpenGL FTW!
  10. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Bullshit, it was a small pile of boolean values, any retard with a hex editor could have figured it out.
  11. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    this, i know NOTHING about hex editors but was able to learn on the fly and easily modded my NHL 09 PC version to support latest rinks and jerseys
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. ice_v

ice_v

Thanks Received:
    "...and then port the game to Xbone" or just middle-finger the damn thing directly in the name of competition and stick with the PS4 and/or PC with win7 64bit :nutkick: :D

Seriously though I think it's just another way to patch the fact that the hardware of the xbone is somewhat inferior to the PS4's or at least it needs more working on it just to get the goods out...and these 11.2 are just that tool the devs could use to better do that. And like someone else said it won't be used on the first games... so only time will tell how much relevance the newest APIs will actually have :)
  13. Deadlyraver

Thanks Received:
    Simply put, Microsoft is in panic mode for the casual users and gamers. I mean I was fooled enough by DirectX 9 but DirectX 11 seemed to be a fairly good improvement. But now, they are just trying to get a selling point that could be any what meaningful for the industry. Its too bad that in order for the idea to really work, they gotta not only convince the gamers but the Dev community as well in one swift move.

To the gamers with half of our IQ, go ahead and purchase these products not knowing that the features are mostly pointless.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  14. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't have said it better myself, except to say 11.2 will be irrelevant for several years. The majority of games that have come out in the last several years have all been DirectX 9.0c.

It doesn't matter what is AVAILABLE, game developers will focus on the majority of the market, and like you said, windows 7 numbers are still climbing. So that means several more years of 9.0c (although in fewer numbers) and 11.0 games (not 11.1 or 11.2) are what we will continue to see.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  15. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Current mode where you have DX9 minimum and can turn "on" DX11 features in games will prevail in the future.
  16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    Also, I seem to recall making the same argument when you had to have Vista to get DX10.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  17. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Great, now if you'll want to use latest and greatest DirectX features, you'll have to go with the bullshit GUI design from Win8, its dumb Start menu, dumb touch crap, shitty control panel design and crappy task switching in the top left corner... Microsoft, just sod off with such crap... this could easily be supplied to Windows 7 but they just want to push the Win8 crap, don't they, giving us zero alternative to all the bullshit they are doing lately with their OS. Sure it's decently fast but that's about it as far as Windows 8 goes. Everything on top of it is garbage and i hate it. And i'm not the only one. But they just keep on sticking their thick heads through new and new layers of brick walls. I just don't get their moronic logic...
  18. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Except we already covered that NO games are using these features and they amount to absolutely nothing in the gaming world.

No games will be using these features within the next few years either. Most people aren't even using DX11 yet to it's full potential.

In short.. Who cares?
  19. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Help me wrap my head around this.

At the beginning of Vista MS introduced directx 10. This was supposed to move operating system sales, and be a feature integral to new games.

At the beginning of 7 MS said they'd introduce directx 11. Almost none of the newest games had feature support for directx 10, and those that did had them almost universally hidden because the consumer base had given Vista the finger.

Now people bought into 7, because it was a genuine improvement over xp. There were quibbles, but a functional 64 bit variant, better performance, and a smaller footprint had 7 beating out xp in almost every metric.

Windows 8 was introduced, with a ham-fisted attempt to unify the windows experience. People couldn't, and still can't, look past the UI for the incremental improvements. Rather than addressing the issue, MS gives people back a feature from the old UI without regards for what is actually being asked. People offer the same finger back to MS, that it offered them.

Knowing that OS sales are stagnating, MS introduces a new variant of directx just like the one packaged with Vista. They think that this time it will work, because their console will have it. Of course, the directx variant hasn't yet been released. This means that launch titles will not be able to use it, and the as yet unreleased OS won't see anything that uses it for a solid year.

So we have one of two situations here; MS hasn't talked to itself internally or they are raging idiots. The first conclusion is valid if the xbox arm hasn't been kept in the loop with the OS arm. If the struggles of the OS haven't been made clear, a person at the top could dictate the (for the sake of the Windows experience) inclusion of a new directx variant in the console to match the new OS.

This would be logical, assuming three things weren't true. MS has gone with slower RAM than Sony, so sharing that pool seems like a desperate effort to make it work better based on the aging directx standard. MS is giving away free upgrades to 8 users, basically saying that 8.1 is not bringing enough value to users to justify the cost of a new OS. Finally, the MS track record speaks volumes. They don't listen to customer feedback, crush dissenting views rather than understanding and addressing them, and developers are the ones being put in a tight place here. Who would spend valuable resources coding for 11.2 when the features can't be ported to another console, and only a small percentage of PC users might see the benefits? My money is on MS drawing a line in the sand, and telling the sea of change that they'll stab it if it crosses the line. In short, MS is being stupid.
    naoan, FYFI13 and TheLostSwede say thanks.
  20. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    In the 3 minute video on that page, the speaker says, "In fact, this is only possible on a Windows 8.1 machine or on a next generation gaming console, like the Xbox One."

So isn't it more-so a case of being a bit late with the news?
  21. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
    To add to the paragraph Microsoft may say that they will introduce the new DX update but developers will not cater to the small market. They will cater to the the largest market available at the time of making the game. Essentially making the new DX tech irrelevant for a while.
  22. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    One question , so far as tiled resources, doesn't id's rage do that via software trickery?.
    Anyway they should listen to some of the people and upgrade win7 instead of trying to strong arm the money off us , I paid a decent amount for win 7 ulty dont I deserve a bit of loyalty and service.
  23. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Users: Please put the start button back in Microsoft.
    Microsoft: OK we will put back the start button.
    Users: This start button you put sucks MS please fix it.
    Microsoft: Naaa you fix it yourself but you can take this, DX11.2 for the Xbox One and 8.1.:toast:
    Users: But most people don't care about that and most developers won't even use it.
    Micosoft: Someone will, and thats all that matters so you can eat a ****.:cool:
    rtwjunkie says thanks.
  24. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Megatexture?
  25. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    This just in, Windows 9 (name pending) will have an exclusive version of DirectX.