1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ESET NOD32 suddenly using A LOT of RAM

Discussion in 'General Software' started by PLSG08, Aug 18, 2013.

1. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    So earlier today I noticed that my PC went a little slower, and DOTA 2 suddenly started stuttering like hell.

I looked around the PC and noticed that ESET is using A CRAPLOAD of RAM (which of course is very unusual for me.)

I looked around ESET and it looks like its been doing a "Statistic Scan" and today seems to be a very lucky day because I've noticed it.

I uninstalled the damn program and the RAM usage went down from the normal 50% to 30-39%.

I installed it again and it went up 50%-77% (on some occasions it says to close all programs)

I'm thinking if Going with McAfee (It came free with my laptop, but I've never used it)

Is McAfee better? or maybe I can disable the damn Scan? Thanks for the inputs!
  2. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    DO NOT GO WITH MCAFEE!!!

RAM usage is much higher. Also fared bad in most av tests. Highest consumption.

Webroot is what I use and it's got the lowest usage and decent protection. Rated great on av tests. Works different than typical av.
  3. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    somethign wrong with your system. i use eset nod 32 as well.

best antivirus out there. cheap, and effective.
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    What process is using the memory, and is it using CPU time too? Be sure to show the Memory - Peak working set column (View - Columns). Could be it's searching something and gets "stuck".
  5. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
  6. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Well it seems that the ESET service (ekrn.exe) was using around 100,000 K yesterday.

I remedied it by disabling the "Automatic Startup file check" and now everything seems to be in place.

and Frick, about the Memory - Peak working; as of now its around 131,920k ( I have a total of 4gb ram)
    RemixedCat, its a very interesting thing to read, and ESET ranks around the middle

AND THANK GOD I DIDN'T INSTALL MCAFEE YET. maybe I could sell it to a poor sucker.....
    remixedcat says thanks.
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear you got the issue sorted! However that is still a LOT of RAM for an anti-virus client. It should never be more then like 20MB, if that....
  8. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Well as of now, its around 70 mb (still pretty big, i wonder why...) I'll observe it for the week and see if it still causes slowdowns
  9. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Do you know what happened around the time it started to bloat like that?

What programs were installed around the time and also was anything done system wise like major system updates, restores, etc???
  10. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Well all I know is that while asleep my sister used my laptop to transfer music (She didn't ask for permission... damn older sisters) and she did a USB scan.

Whilst waking up I opened up steam and the DOTA and got realllyyyy laggy. Closed it and even opening Windows Explorer would cause system hangs. No programs installed not updates....

just my sister using the laptop (it does have a tendency to go bad)
  11. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Just some FYI.
    This could be the underlying problem...

Quote From ESET FAQ:

Also, another tidbit that should have be addressed in updates; but, may have been overlooked or missed.

Increased program memory usage and decreased system performance using ESET Smart Security on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

And, if you are using version 5... you may want to upgrade to version 6 - reports on ESET forums of lower mem usage.

From reading around, 75Mb to 150Mb is normal usage per ESET forum posts. <-- no personal experience on this.
  12. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the help RemixedCat!!! I'll try and get my hands on a newer version (hopefully its available here)
    remixedcat says thanks.
  13. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  14. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    I have been using Comodo Internet Security for many many years without any problems of any kind. It's free.
  15. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
  16. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    You're welcome [​IMG]
  17. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Very good, ddd. Yes, it most definitely can... that was explained in the link "How do I upgrade ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus to the latest version?", that I posted so the OP would see that info, since the OP made the statement...
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  18. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it was using memory while it was scanning files. thats normal.

just tell it not to scan while gaming (if it can - i know kaspersky has that feature)
  19. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    there is a gaming mode on the new security 5.
  20. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Okay so After getting version 6...

ITS STILL EATING WAY TOO MUCH RAM.

I was watching a movie on my laptop and suddenly a window popped out saying that I need to close some apps. I checked resource monitor and Task Manager and everything leads to ESET's Ekrn.exe.

What's crazy here is that the Mem leak (i think) starts when it scans around 20k files. I downgraded back to 5 and it kinda settled down, but is still eating a lot of RAM.

I also noticed that there's a suspicious startup item that I have. I deleted it in safe mode and the mem consumption went down.

Should I give up on ESET? I've been using the damn thing for almost 4 years and this is the only occurrence it happened.

I'll be attaching some pics and show you what's going on. I've tried searching help on their forums and the only thing they suggested is update to 6 (which I've already done)

Attached Files:

• e1.png
      e1.png
      File size:
      168.9 KB
      Views:
    • e2.png
      e2.png
      File size:
      146.9 KB
      Views:
  21. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
  22. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    From what I can see in the screenshots I can guarantee you that the culprit here is Google Chrome. Uninstall it and you will see dramatic improvement in free memory. Also, it looks like both windows' and google's diagnostic utility is running because of some crash. Restart properly. Also, that ekrn.exe is part of your av. It is configured to run at startup. Go to your AV settings and disable that, or tweak it's scanning parameters. Lastly, do give Comodo Internet Security a try. It is the MOST tweakable and effective security suite for windows I have ever used AND it's free. You have nothing to lose here.
    PLSG08 says thanks.
  23. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Ok so after reading that RemixedCat, I think it time for me to find a new AV...

after a few googling I found out that Avast! is pretty good, and BitDefender...

Which of the two should I jump the gun for?

EDIT: okay so I'll try Avast for one week and see if it causes any issues...

It seem to me that the problem is that there's a Virus in my system that came from my sister's Ipod. ESET checked it and I cleaned it, but it looks like it left a mark. I need to do some deep digging here
  24. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    no need to jump to anything. just stick to eset. i doubt you will notice any difference.

eset is kinda like install and forget. all other ones will nag you about one thing or the other continuously.

have you run TDSSkiller and malware bytes? i once encountered a folder which was making eset crash, turns out it was some kinda smart malware/thing that was doing that. got caught in malwarebytes.

you may change your AV but it will probably not cure the reason for esets weird behaviour. its like changing to another medication just because something isnt working, without understanding why it is not working.

here is a google result of eset ram leakage. nothing specific though, which leads me to believe there is something wrong with your system.
    PLSG08 says thanks.
  25. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the help, but I think one dude nailed the coffin.

Nabarun's tips just fixed it for me. A clean uninstall of Chrome did the trick... although I'll miss it.

ESET still scans in the BG but not that much of a hassle anymore. (i'll still monitor it...)

and now its 3 in the morning and classes are suspended tomorrow... Thanks everyone for the help!

(BTW: I'll still try other AV's to see which suits me)
    Nabarun says thanks.