1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Extension cables question.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CDdude55, Jan 18, 2011.

1. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Kind of a newb question guys, but will using extension cables for my PSU's power cables alter the current in anyway that would potentially damage or degrade components?

Im planning on cleaning up my cables and ive heard in the past that you shouldn't use extension cables for very long because it can prevent clean and uninterrupted power from getting to your components.

Naturally i doubt that's true, but im still curious.

:toast:
  2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Any chance you could use a surge protector instead? I wouldn't trust a 800W power supply on a extension cable.

One question though, is it a wimpy cable or manly?
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the only real issue I see is resistance. The longer the power has to travel, the more resistance it will get from point A to B. If you were to use a heavy gauge (outdoor orange kind) extension cord you would have less issue, but still there would be resistance.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  4. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I think that CDdude means the internal power cables. Is that correct?
    CDdude55 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yep, im talking about the internal power cables.
  6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    lulz, sorry I just assumed power to the unit...same rule applies, but with the short lengths of cabling the numbers are less noticeable. It goes off the same lore that modular PSUs are inferior to wired PSUs. I run a 24-pin adapter in my rig, and it didn't change my OC ability or make my PC crash more often. If my PC crashes, its cause I raised the bar;)

Make sure the gauge of the adapters is the same or larger than your PSU wires. Thinner wires in the adapters will in essence make it the weak link/fuse.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  7. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  8. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aight, electronics 101 stuff here. :)

AC travels much greater distances without as much transmission loss (aka power lost to transmission) compared to DC. DC can, potentially, travel as far as AC but the cables would need to be very thick (perhaps impossibly thick) compared to their AC counterparts; this is due to impedance.

The electricity running to your PSU from the wall is AC (probably 110VAC) and out of the PSU it is DC (which I know you know but I'm reiterating anyway :)). The impedance of a properly made PSU extension cable with properly made contacts should be sufficiently low that transmission loss would be negligible in most (if not all) cases. In extreme cases the transmission loss might be substantial enough for stability issues to arise, perhaps due to exceeding the amperage rating of the extension cable.

tl;dr IMO, the transmission loss from a quality PSU extension cable (making good contact) should not be substantial enough to cause stability/component degradation except in the most extreme circumstances.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
  10. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. travva

travva New Member

Thanks Received:
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  12. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
  13. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look on e-bay for god sake :p 1.99$ including shipping from Hong kong lol
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  14. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  15. westom

Thanks Received:
    Low voltages are harmful to electric motors. Which is why utilities keep voltages so tightly controlled.

Low voltage is perfectly ideal for electronics. Normal voltage for any electronic appliance also means incandescent bulbs dim to 50% intensity. Low voltage created by long power cords is either more than sufficient. Or the electronic appliance powers itself off.

Problem with long power cords - human safety. Which is why wall receptacles are located every 12 feet. If a power cord is for anything but permanent power, then the extension cord must be replaced by wires as defined by the National Electrical code. Which is written by an organization whose purpose is human safety.

Separation between electronics and its supply creates major problems. To do that requires something called Kelvin connections. Your supply is not designed for Kelvin connections. Other problems also exist which is why utility power is provided in AC; not in DC.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  16. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    CDdude55 says thanks.