1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fallout 3 Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by OrbitzXT, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wasn't there a 460mb Bethesda HD pack?.....it wasn't as comprehensive as NMC's, but maybe they added that, as it looks friggin good:wtf:
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
  3. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    They must have included it by default now as things look hi res, although not as good as NMC.
  4. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
  5. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    okidna says thanks.
  6. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Fallout Vegas is better than FO3 in terms of immersion. Especially the "Hardcore" mode. But 1 and 2 still is better.
    Frick says thanks.
  7. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    From a tactical shooter POV yes, but FO3 on very hard is still very challenging and forces you to make better use of the game world and it's contents, but FO3 is a different game with it's own beauty, dialogue and appeal.
  8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    :toast:

It does have dialogue (bad). The other stuff not so much.
    Bjorn_Of_Iceland says thanks.
  9. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but I like FO3, Vegas and Skyrim.
  10. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I shouldn't really talk about anything made by Bethsoft. I get angry just thinking about them. So much potential, so much waste. :(
  11. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Funny thing is, some people seem to want to bag Bethesda, but IMO, they're the benchmark for RPG's, at least action one's.
    The latest bethesda RPG's come with positive and negative attributes, but the positives are huge, as such I find them good fun, especially given the constraints on being Mplatform.
    FordGT90Concept and phanbuey say thanks.
  12. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Loving GOTY, not so much for the skill points, but the perks as I'm playing on very hard and need all the help I can get.....30hrs in and I'm still not certain I can take down some area's, but I just got full AP replenish as a perk, so I could hit a tough creature with 8 doses of VATS hahahahaaha.

One thing though, WTF with Feral Ghoul Reaver....I laid 14 land mines and combat shotgun him a ton of times and he didn't dip below what looked liked 85% health, he was limping though, lol.
  13. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Ahh that's the problem right there. They are action/adventure games, not actual RPGs. More GTA than Planescape.
  14. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Bioware and Bethesda are seen in Japan as the leaders in western RPG.
  15. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    thats not a problem for me, thats a revival. In fact, bethesda and bioware (throw borderlands in here too) games are the evolution of the RPG imo. They did to RPGs what Half Life did to FPS. I would like to throw fable in there because it kind of started the whole kick.

The RPG genre was/is not perfect and nearly all other games have a severe case of diabloitis. Same on rails crap with the typical "omg something is wrong complete 100 sidequests to find things and fix it", with the typical "your friend/mentor is actually the enemy" twist.

oh and if you don't complete the sidequests some random boss that your rails take you to will kill you, and there is almost nothing you can do skillwise because, well, you didn't do the side quests so f*** you. Don't get me wrong, those games were great, Doom II was also great. But there are bigger and better things and the new RPGs are it. The new Duke Nukem game kind of proves that... If you release the same crap over a decade later, its going to be crap.

EDIT: to add to that, everyone always looks back at old crap with rose colored glasses... but when you play the actual games they are nothing compared to the games today. When you actually boot it up and start playing you remember the ... oh yeah... this was wrong with it. Kind of like going back to an ex gf lol. Always seems better than it actually was.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  16. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    They're kind of RPG/Shooter hybrids, and IMO, are the only type of shooters worth playing as normal run and gun stuff is claustrophobic and boring within a few hrs.

I can appreciate FO3/Vegas don't have the story/character depth that other RPG's might, but they've pretty much done everything else right.

These are action adventure games, and on hardest difficulty, they're proper hard, but the games leveling system is very good and rewards building your character stats as you need it.
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  17. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Strongly agree with this, most FPSers suck because they haven't evolved, but FO3/vegas did, and in fact, Vegas is one of the best shooters ever made thanks to great range of weapons, mods, alt ammo, and a good supply of ammo{unlike FO3}, also, Vegas ensured that scoped weapons were abundant, which is something I appreciate given the scale of the game world.
  18. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of which:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169475

The process will be very similar for Fallout 3.
  19. Frick

Thanks Received:
    You didn't play the proper RPG's then, only the action RPGs. Go and play Planescape Torment and Fallout 2 and tell me those have diabloitis. Or Baldurs Gate, NWN, Kotor, Anachronox, the old JRPGs for SNES, Arcanum, the old Ultima games etc etc.. Only the action RPG's were Diablo clones, saying otherwise is just ignorance (I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying you don't know what you're talking about). If anything, Bethsofts RPGs are more like Diablo.

EDIT: I should mention that it's in the latter years I've cultivated this view. I honestly think a lot of the games from the 90s ARE better than anything released today.
  20. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Its just my opinion. I have played Baldurs gate, Anachonox, and NWN, as well as Divine Divinity etc. Anachronox was a bit of a different twist, but the rest of them had a very similar feel to one another, and it got stale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSpdpTmtnKk - here is some gameplay of fallout 2, It was a good game, but I don't see what you find that special in these older games.
  21. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It was added by one of the DLCs. As was I think Super Mutant Behemmoths (between Masters and the really big ones). Both were damn near impossible to kill even on Normal difficulty. Reavers and Behemmoths are the hardest enemies in the entire game and yes, they can spawn just about anywhere you encounter normal ghouls/masters.

My best solution for you: nuke it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    my big guns suck...i built myself around small guns...
    I'll have to avoid the mofo:toast:
  23. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bloody hell....tried to go thru Murder Pass with 1200 5.56mm, 1000 or so shotgun shells+ the Terrible Shotgun and couldn't do it, ran out of bullets or my weapon degraded, lol, I felt like I needed another 3-4 combat shotguns and 500+ 5.56's to see me thru, anyway, turned down the diff and got myself the tri beam laser and problem solved.

Too bad the combat shotgun didn't make it's way to Vegas, I know the Riot shotgun has a high fire rate, but nothing kicks like the combat SG.
  24. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    This mod adds a combat shotgun, if you simply can't live without it:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/37002

or pehaps this is better for your purposes:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/40007
    Kwod says thanks.
  25. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG, The Pit sucked....onto the next one, lol.