1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fallout 3 Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by OrbitzXT, Oct 16, 2011.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was a big fan of Fallout 1 & 2, never really got around to playing Fallout 3 for a variety of reasons but now would like to. What confuses me is all the other Fallout 3 titles. Are all of these DLC that require the actual game? Are any of them standalone? Are they unique storylines that I can play in whatever order or are they meant to be played one after another?

2. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Fallout 3 is the game everything else is DLC

same applies to Fallout New Vegas anything else is DLC and needs the base game

if your going to get Fallout 3 just get the version that comes with all DLC.

OrbitzXT says thanks.
  3. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, how about storylines though? Are they meant to be played in a certain order or can I play them how I'd like?

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    $20 for the lot, why not?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BXKJA0/?tag=tec06d-20

The Brotherhood of Steel one is a continuation of the main plot. The other three you go to a location on the world to start so you can do them whenever. I recommend doing The Pitt and Anchorage Alaska one sooner rather than later because The Pitt, you get a silenced 5.56mm assault rifle and Anchorage, you get Chinese Stealth Armor. With 100% sneak, you can kill anyone and anything just by staying crouched.

OrbitzXT says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought it on Steam, time to have some fun =)

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    FO3 is worth playing and DLC's are just lame addons for the game. There not needed but like other said buy it with the DLC's. BUT play the area and don't hit the main quests hard as the game be over and you would of missed so much.

7. robal

robal

Thanks Received:
    I'm a big fan of original Fallouts as well.

The story line from FO3 and FO:NV are quite separate and independent, so it doesn't matter much which one you'll play first.

All FO3 and FO:NV DLC's are quite lame on their own, but if they're included in 'bundle' then, by all means, get it.

Despite what metascore says, FO:NV is a much better game than FO3 (at least from my "original fallout fan" perspective).

Have fun!

Frick says thanks.
  8. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was just gonna suggest you skip FO3 and go straight for New Vegas. It's the better game in my opinion. I never played the first two. They were a bit before my time (time being the time i got an interest in rpg's), and i'm to picky about graphics these days. Although I don't deny it's a great game [probably].

Not the latests DLC for NV, but the one before that was quite enjoyable. The one with the heist and the ghosts sounded good on paper but i never even finished it.
    edit/ Also, I agree with your last line in that quote!

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    OMG Skip FO3 FO3 pawed Fallout NV. Nv's story and depth of it sucked balls lol.

BumbleBee says thanks.
  10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Fallout 3 paws Fallout: New Vegas

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
    AsRock and blu3flannel say thanks.
  11. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    ZOGM LOLZURZ!!111one!!11 (AKA I disagree).

12. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    FO3 with the DLCs is great.

13. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    FNV has better weapons and a better companion system (to the point you want someone with you). Otherwise, FO3 is better. I don't think there's anything shared between FNV and FO3 story wise. They're kind of two unreleated stories happening at the same time from what I understand. About the only thing shared I remember is that there's some mention by the Brotherhood of Steel in the east (FNV) mentioning the BoS out west (FO3) and visa versa (but no details). Very, very minor.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    NV has better faction play, better weapons etc, but as I said before, no-one can like one without liking the other.
    I don't buy any silly DLC, either give me a new game every yr or "forgot about it"

15. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Fallout 3 alone has lots of quests and plus the main quest is also good. After finishing the main quest you will not be able to continue the game, you need broken steel to continue playing.(additionl storyline) after you finish broken steel. you can still continue playing.

the other DLCs are just additional quests/story/items/npcs that can be done any time

I would recommend playing Fallout 3 before NV.
    Fallout 3 provides you with some kind of Introduction on how Bethesda's Fallout plays. and the story is better IMO.

New Vegas is just a different storyline with improvements over FO3 in many ways.
    you'll have much more fun if you have played FO3 before

this is like Assassin's Creed 2 = Fallout 3 while Assassin's Creed Brotherhood = New Vegas (gameplay wise NOT STORYLINE wise)

16. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Coming from a neutral perspective as much as possible:

Fallout 3: Unique story set in DC wastes. Only utilizes names from previous titles in the series.
    Operation Anchorage - Unlocks unique weapons. Influences standing with the Outcasts. Play at any time
    The Pitt - No story influence. Introduces several new melee weapons, guns, and some clothing. Play at any time.
    Mothership Zeta - Unlock unique items. Changes alien rifle from god powered (limited ammo) to balanced weapon. No story line influence. Play at any time.
    Point Lookout - Introduces several quests and items. No story line implications. Play at any time.
    Broken Steel - You should play this. It expands maximum level, and allows powered armor equip. Continues story post original ending (no spoilers).

Fallout NV: Continues the story along the lines of 1 and 2. Utilizes same gameplay, engine, and mechanics (with relatively minor changes) as Fallout 3. Brings back character skill selection methodology from 1 and 2.
    DLC still coming, and I couldn't be bothered to play after the first half hearted release.

If you're just starting, go with NV. It is, to my opinion, a better match to previous story lines. The game engine, graphics, and structure was kept between the two games, so actual gameplay is very similar (though someone is going to bitch me out for saying this, due to the small differences) in both games. After 90+ hours of one game you'll likely be burnt out to the other.

Once you've gotten a taste for the game, check out the Nexus. They have tons of user created mods to do just about anything. I've currently got all of the unique NV weapons in 3, and well over a dozen extra fun missions. This fails to mention the enormous stability improvements, and fixes, that the publisher wasn't competent enough to release. Seriously thous, check out the Nexus for either 3 or NV. It will drastically extend the life of the game.

17. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    All I can add is that if you're not someone who is into mods or is strong(versed, knowledgable) at applying mods, then don't torture yourself by looking at what's out there.
    So many options, so little time, and it's not always straight forward.

This is going to be one of the few times I recommend a console over a PC, because you can't go insane in the head with mods on the console.

18. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    preffer mods they fix most of the bs and garbage that dosent get fixed otherwise, that and unofficial patches rock for small fixes that are annoying but wont get fixed, and games like New Vegas since its Obsidian user patches are kinda needed most of the time lol PS3 version still tends to freeze fairly often but Fo3 seems to be pretty solid on console these days,

19. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Lets face it Obsidian suck for high quality gaming. At least they did not make as much of a mess with NV than they did with NWN2.

20. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    But they kick ass when it comes to storytelling. Also I have never encountered problems with NV.

Fallout 3 feels a bit like a Fallout fanfic, whereas NV feels like an actual Fallout-game.

Oh, and turn on Hardcore mode. Seriously, it's a must.

And for some reason I never liked Fallout 3, but I love NV.

21. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Both FO3 and FO:NV are awesome titles. I might have to play through again and I rarely do that.

22. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Don't get me wrong i enjoyed them both Maybe with FO3 and the story line more closer to heart made the game better. Although FO3 felt like a bigger game was a real shame they made the main quest so short.

Which is why i am going to do what i did with both titles with Skyrim as the main quest in that is said it can be done in just over 2 hours.

23. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    I prefer FO3 to NV but they are both very addictive... when they don't crash or freeze. Never had more problems with a game than them two, mainly the former.

24. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does Steam version of FO3 GOTY come with HD pack loaded?....game looks good!!

25. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    "HD Pack" would be a mod so no, it isn't preloaded.

Crunching for Team TPU