1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Far Cry 3 - Island Survival Guide

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Flibolito

Flibolito

Thanks Received:
    Looks good I have much higher hopes for this than FC2. Looks like a proper sequel to FC1 even though it's not crytek doing it, which might be a good thing.

2. JNUKZ New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Awesome. Buying that for sure.

4. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna get it. I liked both the others. Far cry 2 was Great. I just hope they don't have all the crap weapons. Getting in a firefight and having your AK lock up was a total bitch. That and the Malaria always messing with you. The open world in FC 2 was the best thing and this looks to be even better.

5. JNUKZ New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad to see they're fleshing out the RPG elements much better than in FC2, but they don't address some key things in that walkthrough.

Can you pick up ANY weapon, or just weapons at caches? I noticed he killed a guy that appeared to have an AK when he had only a pistol and didn't pick it up, then later picked up a shotgun at a highlighted cache.

If you can pick up any weapon, are they degraded and/or degrade rapidly as in FC2?

Are repairs in general necessary at all? If so, do you self repair them or take them to traders to be repaired?

Do you have to buy everything with money, or can you trade and/or sell things at traders?

This looks like it could be fun, but I'm still a bit skeptical about some of the overly arcade elements. I also hope the PC version looks WAY better than that console version does.

8. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Eurogamer gave Far Cry 3... 10 out of 10.

9. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Only up until this morning have I really looked into the new Farcry3, I never played the first one, but I did the second game. I thought the story plot was entertaining enough, good graphics and overall I fun experience. However I never did finish the game cause I found myself driving around in circles doing what seemed like meaningless missions and never progressing forward.

Now FC3 looks to be very promising! I just stumble upon The Far Cry Experience which gave me a deeper look into this Vaas character. I feel Michael Mando did an excellent job in this game and now I am very interested in seeing where this story will take me.

Too be honest, the first thing that got me interested in FC3 was the Samsung 840 ssd deal on Newegg for about $170. At first I just wanted just the drive and didn't care much about the free game, BUT now that I looked more into it, think I just might fork at the cash for both.

This is the time of year to not be selfish I know, but man this seems like a really sweet deal.. so the question is.. Should I do it?

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Far Cry 3 Weapons Trailer

[yt]NXzAcKNS4Es&oref[/yt]

every weapon is customizable :twitch:

t77snapshot says thanks.
  11. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Customizable weapons AND tattoo ranks?? :twitch: Okay.. it's settled. I am getting this game.:rockout:

Edit: DONE!!! My FC3 and my new 840 should arrive this Tuesday:toast: I can't wait for my early Christmas present!:D:D:D

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Never liked tattoos until now. This is the most practical use of them I've seen, cool.

Does anyone know if fire propagates like in FC2 though? I've read a PC Gamer article that says it does, but I'd be more reassured if the actual dev trailers indicated so.

13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    dear god, lets hope it doesnt. it was craptastic in that game, with its hardcoded spread limits.

14. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I do not trust any 10 of 10 reviews. These days they hand out 10/10 scores like candy.

15. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    So long this game has heavy elements of the original and shares nothing with Parr 2, then I all in.

16. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I fail to see how fire that doesn't propagate at all is better than propagation with scripted limits. At least it was such that you could look at the wind direction and use it to your advantage if the fire was placed well.

There has to be at least some limitations. Otherwise it would be possible to burn entire acres of land and it would not only reek havoc with the AI, but a lot of PCs as well in struggling to render it it all.

I don't think you're seeing it from the dev's point of view, or even a practical gamer's perspective. Another problem with wild fire running a muck is it would be too easy to kill large groups of enemies.

17. Mussels

Thanks Received:

it just didnt work well. nothing about that fire was natural in the way it spread, or how. you couldnt reliably use it, since it was so irregular.

18. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I was able to use it effectively at least half the time I employed it. Sure there were times when it burned out before I wanted it to, but that just meant I had to improvise and use other tactics instead of relying on just the fire itself. I don't recall ever not getting at least some kills with it when I used it though.

Personally I thought it's randomness at times was part of the appeal too. Wind doesn't always blow steadily and predictably. Sometimes I liked shooting the edge of a propane tank and watching it spew flames as it spun just to see what would catch on fire and how it would spread.

Some of the best moments in the game were going into camps with a silenced weapon while staying hidden and commencing to create such havoc, then listening to the frantic Afrikaans banter. It was hilarious at times.

That said, it looks like FC3 overall will be much better, and I'm loving what I'm seeing of the RPG elements and all the nice spots to explore. Keeping propagating fire in the game will just further enhance the experience though IMO.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    dont get me wrong, i also want propogating fire. i just dont want it done terribly like last time.

20. Rockfella.killswitch

Rockfella.killswitch New Member

Thanks Received:
    FarCry is a game ahead of it's time. FC2 was way inferior in all terms! You are an optimist who'll always find the glass half full, good for you :toast:

21. irlandezul

irlandezul

Thanks Received:
    Me too . I will have an opinion after few hours of play . I hope it will be soon .

22. Rockfella.killswitch

Rockfella.killswitch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same here.:laugh:

23. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Been looking at some of the walkthroughs [mission 1] that are appearing on the www and can say that I am not keen on the HUD and Way Marker, they seem a little intrusive / distracting; No option to toggle these at this time; hoping they patch this at some stage.

nb: there is a poll on the Ubi forum under the heading; Far Cry 3 Discussion; sub heading "HUD still ruining the imersion level" [attempting to get this changed]

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  24. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Can you mention any games that actually do it better, because I can't think of any? I'd also like to know what your idea of proper fire propagation in a game would be, because for the reasons I mentioned, it obviously has to be limited. You don't see many games doing it really.

25. april90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, I want to ask.
    does AMD 6450 can handle FC3? 1gb ddr3 64bit digital alliance.
    I never play FC before. should I play FC1 and 2 or not?