1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Faulty brand new CPU? :(

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Melvis, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Hmm yea good point, i have spare ram i guess i could try but yea you might be onto somehing there.
  2. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    I think it has something to do with the BIOS. Because you once said that you reflashed the BIOS and it showed 6GB RAM. :p
  3. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Put the 965 back in the board and see what amount of ram it is showing. See if it changes to 6gb or 4gb etc...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the IMC is having issues. No POST with no signs of life can be a memory issue, likely the IMC doesn't like the RAM. The same goes for POSTing but showing the wrong amount of RAM.

What RAM do you have in the system, and is it running in spec?
    dhdude says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I will almost bet the cpu is indeed bad. If all was well with the first flash with the old cpu then you didn't have a bad flash. You just some how spike the cpu into somewhat working with the new flash. Or just by removing it and re-installing it. The memory controller is on the cpu and if you where having no problems with the old cpu memory wise then there is most likely nothing wrong with your memory or the board. Which leaves the cpu to be at fault. Try as stinger suggested and put the old cpu back in. I almost guarantee that your problems will go away. If it was the board or memory problem then they won't.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Just because the IMC on the new CPU doesn't like his RAM doesn't mean the CPU is faulty. The 965 only supported 1333 RAM, so that is what it defaults to when the system is first booted. Since the 8350 supports up to 1866 RAM, it is possible that it is just running the RAM too fast with too tight of timings, or that now that the RAM is running at full speed it the RAM isn't stable. Simply manually adjusting the speed and timings in the BIOS might be all that is needed to fix the issue, even if he has to adjust the RAM to run at below spec speeds and timings. I'd start by booting with the 965 and checking what the memory speed and timings are, then boot with the 8350 and manually setting the RAM to run at the same speed and timings as the 8350. Then, if that is stable and showing the correct amount of RAM, you can adjust settings on the RAM from there to either increase the speed or tighten the timings.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    The fx chips will run memory at 1333 or even 1600 without issues. Not optimal but it will run it. I would think if the memory speed was an issue the rig would boot and show all the memory, it just would be unstable or it wouldn't post at all. I could be wrong. He can try manually setting the memory to 1600 and boot it and see if it fixes it. It will run there. Also by his specs he has 1600 mhz corsair memory.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Nope, the IMC often drops sticks from being usable and does weird shit like that if the memory is running unstable or it just doesn't like running that certain memory at the default speeds.

If he has 1600 RAM, then it might have been running at 1333 on the 965 but is now running at 1600, which the RAM might not be stable at. That alone could be enough to cause the problems he's having.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. dhdude

Thanks Received:
    I share Newtekie1's sentiment, I doubt you've got a bad bios flash, I'm assuming you don't have access to any other rigs to test the memory? I'm still thinking it's more likely to be the IMC if you've had other problems with it
  10. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Im sure i did a few times and eaach time it read the correct amount of RAM.

Hmm ok well i do have some other spare RAM here so ill give it atry but i never used it as my system didnt seem to run stable with it so i went back to my older stuff. They are Corsair Dominators 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 made for Phenom II CPU's when i got it.

Yea thats true, when i put my old CPU back in everything went back to normal, soon as i put the FX in it all went weird :confused:
  11. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    The RAM was running at its spec of 1600 8-8-8-24 1.65v with the Phenom II installed, once i cleared the CMOS everything resets its self back to 1333 and some crap timings and 1.5v. When the system finally posted with the FX after i redid the flashing of the BIOS it was running at 1333 crap timings and 1.5v. So i thought maybe it will start working correctly if i uped the speed, timings volts etc to what it can do, back to 1600 8-8-8-24 1.65v and this didnt make any difference at all, still showing 6GB.

Now i did test to see what slot on the motherboard it doesnt seem to be reading from correctly and its the far right slot that doesnt seem to want to read the memory at all whilst the FX 8350 is installed. SO would this lead back to a bad IMC? or?
  12. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I would say bad cpu. If all works fine with the phenom II in, then the board and the memory are good. The Fx chip will run 1333 and 1600 memory without issues all day long as long as you have the bios set to what the memory is. Which you did this and still it crapped out. I would check into a rma for the Fx cpu.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Sigh =/ its looking that way hey. Ill put in my other ram which is G.skill 1600MHz 4x2sticks 6-8-6-24 at 1.6v and see what happens.
  14. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    tried rolling back to a previous bios (first that supports the CPU)??
  15. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    The latest one is the only one that supports the CPU F9, no other will support the FX 8350 far as i know
  16. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Well looks like it was the memory after all that, i put in all of my G.Skill memory which is actually made for Intel system and it is running all 8GB with out issues. Compared to the Corsair which is made for AMD system it doesn't like it at all, weird!!
  17. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I don't think memory is necessarily engineered for one platform or the other. Its all DDR3, just depends on which is less finicky with your system. Good job on figuring out the problem though.
  18. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    True, but the RAm i do have here says designed for Intel systems 1155 bla bla bla and Corsair is designed for Phenom II system bla bla bla, just found it odd that both CPU;s prefer one not the other
  19. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just depends on what the motherboard + CPU likes:)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    True that :)

So glad i bought this other set of RAM and now that it work in this mobo with the FX as before it hated my 965 lol
  21. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Well cool man.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    great you got to the bottom of it