1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fit's Mini Phase build log

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Fitseries3, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for sharing this experience with us!

Fitseries3 says thanks.
  2. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    hey! things are looking better. the condenser is fine. just extremely dirty. im cleaning it up right now. pics soon.

3. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
  4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    OMFG that thing is insane.

5. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    HEY!

i found a way to make phase's cheap! ROFL!!! im so excited!

$73 and i get everything except the evap/suction line assembly. there would be a good bit of modification but for the price, most of the parts that cost alot are there.

[​IMG]

this would not be super cool but it would be up to par or better than OCZ's Cryo-z that will never become for sale.

6. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    LOL I need to go take a night class so I can understand how to fully make them.

7. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    nice find. :) i forgot about this thread even. So how is it coming along?

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Estimate on what the total cost would be, and what kind of modifications would need to be made? I know pretty much nothing about phase-change cooling :eek:

9. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    it would still cost you guys about $350-$400 to buy one from me. it's mostly parts and labor though. not much profit at all. keep in mind... shipping is pretty costly on a phase.

i'll explain how phase works here in a bit.

10. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I was more interested in how much it would cost for the people that know what they're doing to do it. However, that is a tempting price.

11. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    i cannot really give you a cost if you were to build one yourself. it requires so many tools and equipment let alone know how. it also requires refridgerants to be readily available at your disposal. you should also have the correct evac. equipment.

it is not practical for each person to go out and buy a 30 pound can of r12, r22, r23, r134a, r404a, r407, r507, etc. because they average about $300 each and most require an HVAC/R license to buy.

it's just too hard to tell you even an estimate because everything depends on what you have and who you know. ;)

phase explanation soon.

theJesus says thanks.
  12. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    phase works exactly the same as an AC unit. you just use a different evaporator. instead of cooling your house/room... you're cooling a 2" x 2" CPU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vapor Phase Cooling.

Vapor = refridgerant - usually a gas mixed with some "oil" to keep the pump/compressor lubed.

lets start at the compressor...

the compressor compresses the refridgerant(a gas)... the gas is now under HIGH pressure and is HOT so it needs to be cooled so it passes through the condenser.

the condenser cools the HOT gas. as the gas cools though it may cool and return to a liquid state. on to the........

filter/drier... this is to remove the liquid from the gas to allow only the gas to flow through the capillary tube(AKA.. cap tube)

capillary tube... this needs to be a specific length depending on your heat load. there are different sizes of cap tubes and it is a trial and error process to find what you need to work best. a typical cap tube length is 9-10ft but the diameter of the tube itself can vary from build to build. the cap tube is wound arround the suction line for many reasons. for one, it keeps the COLD suction line from freezing and causing a blockage/failure.. HOW? the cap tube is still very HOT.

once the cap tube caries the HOT gas, that is compressed under HIGH pressure still, to the evaporator(CPU cooler)... the gas is released into the evaporator which allows the gas to expand SO fast it freezes instantly causing it to pull the heat from the CPU and immediately gets sucked down the Suction line to return to the LOW side of the compressor. the low side starts at the evaporator and continues to the compressor.

so really... just like an AC... your not cooling anything. you are simply pulling the heat from one place and releasing it in another place. however... the vapor changes from a HIGH pressure gas and expands rapidly to cause it to instantly freeze and remove the heat from the CPU. this is only possible with refrigerants.

NOTE ON Evaporators... there are 2 types of evaporators.
    1-maze- maze is just like it sounds... a maze. this allows the expansion of the gas to take place in a larger area therefore cooling more area needed to cool an entire CPU.
    [​IMG]

2-stepper- stepper is like a multi story building.... the gas expands more and more in each level of the stepper therefore causing it to get colder and colder on each level. this design works very well but is only a few degrees C colder than a maze design.
    [​IMG]
    NOTE: the stepper is enclosed by a copper ring/cap that encloses the entire design except for the base.

this info is just VERY BASIC and explains how it work BRIEFLY. this does not explain things like the flex line, electrical system, fan(s) monitoring gauges/LCD's, fill valves, and any advanced hardware that may make the unit to perform substantially better. THIS IS A SINGLE STAGE PHASE... NOT A CASCADE!!!

Cascade = 2, 3, 4, etc "stages"(of cooling).... each being the concept of a single stage phase, but cooling another "stage" of the unit. more on this if i get any interest.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
    jbruneau and theJesus say thanks.
  13. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    ok, well thanks for the info anyways, and for offering to build units for people :)

edit: Are you going to explain what each part does? Granted, the names of the parts are self-explanatory enough to be able to get a vague idea, but I think it would help to have a more in-depth explanation for those that are really interested in doing this and have access to some of the right stuff.

14. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ updated

15. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    dude you are a frucking geniouse!!! are you gonna buy me PEE or what? now only $55 per pint!

Fitseries3 says thanks.
  16. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    ok phase confuses the hell out of me.. :eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    remeber.... as with any form of cooling that cools below room temp... YOU MUST INSULATE VERY WELL! the computer WILL DIE if you dont insulate. insulating for a phase is very time consuming to do the right way.

18. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    meh after the first time you insulate it is real easy but the first time, DAMN it sucks!

19. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    not to mention.... it's a PITA to resell your board after it's covered in foam, dielectric grease, and other insulating materials.

20. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    lol agreed. Definitely interesting though, and definitely something I'd like to try my hand at someday if I ever find myself having easy access to some nice refrigerant and a buddy to help. Well, maybe I could be able to convince one of my friends to split the cost of refrigerant so we can both make phase units (after significant amounts of research acquisition of licenses) :D

You could always just sell the whole system with the phase unit installed and everything. I imagine that would attract some people. Or maybe advertise the board as "phase-cooling ready" or something similar. idk

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  21. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    where you get these , im really interesting , from now i want do something like it , i want know where i can find like this cooper plate

22. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    PM piotres or teyber on XtremeSystems

23. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:

24. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    both piotres and teyber make them. the one in the pic is piotres' but teyber has some new designs that look promising. just look under the vapor phase section on xtremesystems' forums. there's a few threads named suction lines/evaps.

you can also ask chillyone as well.

25. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    really good work , now i call you ac coller engineer