1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Formated the wrong drive...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ChaoticBlankness, Aug 11, 2007.

1. ChaoticBlankness

ChaoticBlankness New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, ever have one of those days where you accidentally format the WRONG hard drive..? I'm having one of those days...

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I was preparing for my 4th attempt of installing Mac OS X on my PC, something I've been tinkering with the last couple of days.. I went to the disk utility to do my pre-install format of the desired hard drive, a spare 80GB Maxtor I own.

Typically speaking th Maxtor is the first drive selectable on the list (like in the past 3 times it was).. so I clicked the first drive on the list, then clicked erase, and then format. Immediately after I realized what I just did and fell out of my chair ready to cry.

Guys I'm in a really bad spot, I'm seriously ready to cry and "crying" isn't something I do. I'm begging you, any of you... help me. Is there a way to undo the damage!?! :cry: :banghead: :cry:

2. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well you can use 4 top programs for that.

R-STUDIO 4
    O&O FormatRecovery
    O&O DiskRecovery
    Acronis Recovery Deluxe

Cant tell you were to find them but they exist in many places :)

3. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Never done that but i can imagine... :(

4. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    First: Don't do anything to the drive, second let me dig up information and see what you might be able to use for recovery. BTW, did you need the data on that disk, or can you just re-install?

5. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly right but err i'm not sure where you could possibly find those programs :D :roll: :toast:

6. ChaoticBlankness

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah.. I need it badly... 10GB+ music 4GB+ pictures things like homework.. irreplaceable files.

please help... (lol.. *tear*)

7. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    We helped , find and use the programs , we cant even do the recovery for ya :)

8. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try this I'm not going to say it's good or bad because I haven't used it. It would also require you to install xp somewhere (and probably have a drive to move stuff to that's big enough). That's the best I could find, if you don't feel safe because I haven't had experience with it (I would be iff to) go with something someone has tried, not just recommended. I find things that people have used worked best. If you're willing to try that, go for it.

Edit: @Hellas: I'm confused by the last part are you saying we're not able to do it for him? lol if so, that makes sense. I'm just confused, maybe it's cause it's too late at night.

9. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been using the above programs with 100% success most of the time...Depends on if he has used the HDD.

10. ChaoticBlankness

Thanks Received:
    I think I'm going to use one of the those 4, but which one to use. Remember, the new partition is a Mac OS X partition that overwrote an NTFS partition.

So I'm not sure which program can help me.. any ideas?

**Edit: if it's any consolation.. I actually just now manged to get Mac OS X installed on the maxtor drive... shame my Hitachi (Windows Drive) didn't live to see this. *bursts into tears*

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  11. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even if he hasn't, hopefully he didn't pull the plug as it was formatting. Ok....go with Hellas' programs btw. One last thing Chaotic, don't do anything to the drive until you're ready to rescue it, I'm talking about taking it out unplugging it, the whole 9 yards to make sure you don't accidentally install windows onto that drive.

EDIT: @ Chaotic's last post: Hellas which one can be used with the Apple file system?

12. ChaoticBlankness

Thanks Received:
    Just an update for those on here that actually care.. I'm using R-Studio 3.6 (couldn't find 4) and happily recovering my lost files.. I'm not sure in what condition they are.. but they all appear to be there.

I really appreciate the help all of you have offered my tonight.. it means allot to me. TPU is my home away from home and I'm glad I have this site to post on when I seriously F#%k up my system like I did tonight.

It has been a learning experience for me, not just on how to recover lost files.. but for the love of god READ BEFORE I CLICK. lol

13. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I like that.... 100% Success Most of the Time! LoL! :rockout:

I've never used one on my PC, but a buddy of mine used the O&O recover software with success.

14. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Graci :toast: It is a truly great site :toast:

15. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Youre welcome Chaotic :)

Kursah with time some info on an HDD cant be recovered thats why i said 100% Most of the time :)

16. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Woot reading before you click:rockout:. But a better method is to backup constantly (I do it weekly in the school year where my data is really important) so if you do wipe your drive you just copy over the back up.

17. ChaoticBlankness

Thanks Received:
    I used R-Studio 3.6 to recover before you got back to me with 3.8.

Windows boots again... but it's really slow loading some things.. most programs work. Chkdsk fixed some things but loading "My Computer" takes for ever (but not my documents), start menu freezes sometimes, and rightclick/send-to will freeze the menu.

My OS loads now, but it's crippled... any ideas?

18. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Copy all necessary data to a hard drive or burn it to dvd's. Then re-load windows, best advice I can give. I believe these problems are too much for windows repair (on the os disk to handle), but if do go for the repair option, backup your data some where.

19. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    luckily you didn't do the SLOW format which 100% removes files. Formatting only make the HD recongize itself as how much space it has. Quick format makes the entire HD "re-writeable" which means it would just record any files it can on its "spinning-disc" (dunno what's it called). Anyway try re-installing your OS.

20. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually from what I understand, a quick format just deletes the file index and all the fancy things to show where files are. A slow format, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), checks the disk consistansy and does the same as a slow. But that's from wikipedia (if I interpreted it correctly) so idk how trustable it is but usually it's right.

21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Quick format rewrites the partition table only. Full format does that, and writes over the whole drive.

22. ChaoticBlankness

Thanks Received:
    I guess I'll be reinstalling windows... again....

In my life I've installed windows more times than I can remember, this is a bad thing...

23. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reinstalling windows isn't that bad of thing. You're comps not going to die if you install windows again, lol. Well hopefully not anyways. Just remember to set everything to stock so it has less of a chance of messing.

24. ChaoticBlankness

Thanks Received:
    I've been down this road before is all.. (for some reason needing to reinstall my primary OS)

I'm actually a fairly competent guy when it comes to computers. I'm even in college for Network Administration (which is way over glorified title for a Data Center gnome).

However I've never needed to do a recovery before.. and therefor didn't know how. I was just stupid and didn't pay attention to what I was clicking on.

I felt almost ashamed going on here for help. I go on here to help other people.... not the other way around. :roll:

25. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol forums work both ways man. Glad that your recovery worked :toast: