• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Freesync, G-sync done "right"

Status
Not open for further replies.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Well if you'd been following at all, they've had their hands full with restructuring their workforce and production goals after some severe budget cuts, improving frame pacing on their Crossfire drivers, not to mention developing Mantle. That they're even trying to offer their own free version of this is pretty good considering pretty much all of that they are doing lately is striving to improving actual gaming performance, vs FaceWorks, Shadowplay, etc being extraneous crap Nvidia is indulging in that has no bearing on actual game performance, as usual.

This thread just got awoken by Xzibit, I made that post a while back - man I hate replying to old threads.

But yeah, I had been following but it's still a big company with different sections, so this stuff could have been brought forward earlier if there was a need for it. However, I'm not dissing AMD, I have no problem with them. But, like I say, both Nvidia and AMD, and Intel for that matter tend to sit on stuff until someone says, "a-ha!, let's do this cool thing now!" and they jump in too.

Big business is still big business, it's all about the benjamins. Or the whatever currency you prefer. It's never about being charitable to us.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
This thread just got awoken by Xzibit, I made that post a while back - man I hate replying to old threads.

But yeah, I had been following but it's still a big company with different sections, so this stuff could have been brought forward earlier if there was a need for it. However, I'm not dissing AMD, I have no problem with them. But, like I say, both Nvidia and AMD, and Intel for that matter tend to sit on stuff until someone says, "a-ha!, let's do this cool thing now!" and they jump in too.

Big business is still big business, it's all about the benjamins. Or the whatever currency you prefer. It's never about being charitable to us.
Yup Hence a business.

I was just replying to the miss informed thread spammer.

Somehow he thought G-Sync is a new concept when it has been in the works to be carried over to stand-alone monitors for years and not by a video card company but rather display vendors.

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
Cooling Deepcool GAMMAXX S40
Memory Kingston HyperX Beast Black 8gb @ 1600 cl8
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 670 POWER EDITION
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Caviar Black 500GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2420T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3
Power Supply FSP 650w
amd homelesses are boiling. In the end of the day they'll get as always... some shitty unusable crap, will cry and think about another so-called "amd savings". :laugh:

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
amd homelesses are boiling. In the end of the day they'll get as always... some shitty unusable crap, will cry and think about another so-called "amd savings". :laugh:

Most cases you get what you pay for.
I've never been let down by Intel/Nvidia. Back in 2002 when AMD lead for a super brief moment in $/performance my amd athlon xp 3200+ along with a Nvidia GPU served me well for several years.

That was the only time AMD had it's brief moment. I'm glad they're around to keep the other players in price check.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I was just replying to the miss informed thread spammer.

Somehow he thought G-Sync is a new concept when it has been in the works to be carried over to stand-alone monitors for years and not by a video card company but rather display vendors.

You know it's pointless to argue your completely valid points against some of these people. Invariably there are some very misguided and 'objectionable' trolls that abound these here places. Frankly I think we need a slippers and pipe gents lounge (ladies welcome, pipes mandatory) for us sophisticated folks to discuss things clearly and let the trolls fight it out in a muddy ditch.

Which they haven't done much to help. Hence the creation of the $1000+ videocard market.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
You know it's pointless to argue your completely valid points against some of these people. Invariably there are some very misguided and 'objectionable' trolls that abound these here places. Frankly I think we need a slippers and pipe gents lounge (ladies welcome, pipes mandatory) for us sophisticated folks to discuss things clearly and let the trolls fight it out in a muddy ditch.

Yah I've grown to ignore the trolls n haters.

Last edited:
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Probably because it's AMD that actually need to make those improvements.

And with nVidia having zero intention of supporting Mantle let's hope AMD don't waste too much time on that either, we'd hate for them to spread themselves too thin. :p

It's not like Nvidia is without need for constant improvements. Their drivers have been hit and miss lately, G-Sync is showing 25-30 FPS dropouts, and this is while they are spending much of their time working on features that have nothing to do with needed game performance improvement. Which is what I meant by Faceworks, Shadowplay "crap". The latter may add race game -like replay convenience, but it's not a necessity compared to gameplay performance.

And while AMD ARE having trouble with Mantle's launch, mostly due to DICE's problems with coding BF4, they WERE the ones that motivated MS to finally get up off their corporate arses and finally make a more efficient API, vs stubbornly plodding along with this Metro UI gimmickry that many wanted them to make a toggle off option for.

Meanwhile Nvidia plays MS' lapdogs with DX12, while most forget that AMD said from the beginning that their intent with Mantle all along was for the industry to have a more efficient API, regardless of where it came from. They were only responding to developer interest, and at least they DID take those devs seriously in the first place, like MS finally is now after AMD convinced them there could be something to Mantle.

It seems all the hype keeps a lot of people on the net from putting things in perspective. Money (vs goal) driven companies easily cloud people's judgement.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Status
Not open for further replies.