1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming router

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by freaksavior, Oct 20, 2007.

1. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=643

is that worth $229? i like playing xbl (on accasion) and i lag really bad with my current router and it's only 54mbps so i was thinking about that one, but after seeing it was $230 i thought, well is it worth it? i don't game on the pc much (besides steam based apps, CS:S, half life all of em, and tf2 soon) so yes or no?

btw my xbox is about 200ft away and up stairs. so i'm going through about 4 walls.

i also thought about this one http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=530 its $169.

side note. all my pc's have gigabit will that increase my dl on torrents and web surfing?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    i reckon it looks cool,and its the new "n" spec.The display looks cool and useful.

So i say yes.
  3. JacKz5o New Member

Thanks Received:
    The LCD thing on top definitely looks cool. $200 on a router seems to be a lot though.
  4. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    would i be just as good to get a http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=530 ? i can get it for like $119....i'm going to do a price check when i go to work and see how much my discount is at best buy.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    unless you absolutely need 802.11n, I would just get a buffalo whr-g54s or other compatible router and flash it with dd-wrt or tomato firmware and setup a qos.
  6. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    huh?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    If thats the quality of service thing,mine has it but i dont have a clue how to set it up.
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    It's the same principal of buying a Fatal1ty product--no.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    ok, prices are

DI-655 - $120
    Gamer $144
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    All you need is a router with QOS capability. Same thing as this $144 router.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  11. Nicksterr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think you guys actually know what QoS is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

For your applications freaksavior, QoS would not help you. You also DO NOT want QoS active when torrenting. That enables ISPs to see exactly what you are downloading without any investigation because of all the requests to verify/receive data.
  12. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    so then again which one? or would y'all suggest something completely different?

all my pc's have gigabit will that increase my dl on torrents and web surfing?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    QoS determines bandwidth by port and therefore by application. CounterStrike for example you would just set a high priority on the port range CS uses.

QoS is strictly Router side, not server side. It is nothing more than a port based packet allocation. By priority. Example, say you have a Voip phone service, and you like to talk ont he phone while playing WoW. You set the port range of the Voip into your router and set it to priority 1 or highest. You then set the port range of WoW to 2 or just below highest.
    Now whenever you are on the phone and WoW at the same time, your router will send the Voip packets first, then WoW packets. Voip is highly dependent on latency while WoW isn't. Without QoS on voip your phone conversations while doing high bandwidth tasks would be of horrible quality, and would probably drop.

Freaksavior- I use a good old Linksys WRT-54G router with QoS. Gigabit ethernet has no affect on torrent transfers or web surfing, only on PC to PC transfers on your network, such as your pc to your dads. At 54mb/s you will not be limited by your wifi speed unless you are a long way away from the router, and get a poor signal. Only file transfers will be increased by going wifi N, but that carries the requirement of all devices have to be N.
    Find a solid router that is supported by DD-WRT firmware. With the new firmware my routers signal strength can be increased 100fold if I have the proper cooling. Do some research and we will help as much as we can.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
    DRDNA says thanks.
  14. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    a WRT54GL + DD-WRT should do him fine ...
  15. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    no thanks....108mpb minimum, and gigabit (if it will help me out in downloads and web surfing ((and gaming)) )
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If they make 108mbps adapters for your 360 then sure.

As I said in my above post Gigabit only affects your home network, it has nothing to do with your modem and connection.

Why do you need 108mbps?
  17. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    You honestly don't need more than 54mbps unless you transfer files over wireless often. Gigabit ethernet, as Kenny stated, only affects your home network because your internet line cannot reach those speeds.

If you need more range, your best and cheapest option would be to get 2 routers, flash with dd-wrt / tomato and use 1 as a repeater. Spending anything more than $50 for a home router is a waste of money in my opinion.
  18. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    While the wikipedia link is nice, the rest of your information is incorrect.
  19. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree, unless you're experiencing low transfer rates on your home LAN, and would like to be able to transfer files at a greater rate than 54Mbps between computers than you don't need to upgrade. Getting a new router won't increase your internet speeds, there is no way you have transfered anything close to 54Mbps over the internet. Spending more than $100 on a home router is ridiculous in my opinion. I probably wouldn't spend more than $60-70 personally. My two home routers cost $34 and $49. The $49 one is a Linksys WRT54G flashed with DD-WRT firmware, and is absolutely amazing.
  20. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    WRT54 + DD-WRT = sex
  21. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My point exactly, I still need to get mine flashed...
  22. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    lol, ok ok. but remember how far and how many walls i'm going through here.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    From what I've read a wrt54g with the ddwrt firmware you can adjust the xemit power or range to well over a half mile. With active cooling and modifications who knows what kind of signal strength is available.
  24. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Dlink routers have fantastic range. I would go for the gaming dlink...or save some bucks and just get the non-gaming (dir-655), which is gonna be the same thing more or less.
  25. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    no need to spend 200 bucks on a router when 50 bucks will do the same thing without the flashing lights. just find some modded firmware for your current router which will most likely allow you to manage traffic the same way that 200 dollar "gamer" router will.
    freaksavior says thanks.