1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H BIOS versions

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Meizuman, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    [10-10-2009 - Notice I don't have this MB anymore, I've switched to UD4H,
    so I have no reason to follow BIOS updates anymore for DS4H, hopefully this thread still helps someone]

Originally I posted this to XtremeSystems forums, and as it got some attention, I'll post this here too.

LINK for available BIOS versions from GIGABYTE

- F1 First release

- F2a Updated CPU ID for Phenom 9950 125W
    -Also slight naming changes in BIOS (Memory Controller Freq. -> Northbridge Frequency)

- F2

- F3h Updated CPU ID for Athlon X2 7750
    -HT Link speed setting now works also updwards, earlier versions could only drop HT Link.
    -C1E support option disappeared
    -DCTs Mode disappeared (no option for ganged/unganged, defaults as unganged with 2x sticks)
    -New type of BIOS settings saving option with baby blue background, supports saving to / loading from HDD, FDD, USB

- F3i
    -Nothing special changes (I did only a fast test)

^ All these have cold boot issue with ACC enabled.
    -----------

- F3m Mentioned here
    -Unreleased version that should have better compatibility with Phenom II's

- F3o"Update CPU ID (for AMD NPRP)" (?)
    -C1E support option back
    -No cold boot issue with ACC enabled (I tried only once)
    -SLOW posting when ACC enabled
    -MUCH harder to get any overclocking stable
    -This is the worst version, but still it has some promising fixes. Not recommended for any overclocking.

- F3t "Update CPU ID (for AMD NPRP)" This version has the same description as F3o. Could be an improved version.
    -Date is 2009/02/25

- F3 "Update CPU ID (AGESA 3.3.20)"
    -C1E support option disappeared again
    -Cold boot issue with ACC enabled still there* but now it can be passed with simply pressing reset. After that POSTing is a flash compared to earlier versions.
    -(01/13/2009).
    -Officially supports Deneb

*EDIT: I have had problems with booting and now it seems that after shutting down from XP, and powering up after, the reset button will do the workaround but when shutting down from Win7, I have to cut the power before getting it up again.

- F4a
    "-Improve Phenom II CPU compatibility" - Most probably cannot unlock the 4th core with 720
    "-Improve Audio compatibility"
    -No C1E option
    -Ganged/Unganged option back
    -BIOS backup to HDD option
    -Highly recommended for benching
    -Gives good OC
    -No cold boot problem with ACC enabled
    -PCIe speed has a weird issue in AOD, keeps bouncing to high values when setting it. It's recommended to manually set the PCIe speed from bios.

- F4 "Update CPU ID (Support AGESA3.3.2.3 code / AM3 CPU)"

- F4V "Update CPU ID (for AMD NPRP)"
    Might just add support for new CPU's.

- F5 "Update ACC code and CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.3.2.4 code for Phenom X3 CPU)"
    -Added EC Firmware (Normal / Hybrid) to ACC menu for core unlocking (Hybrid mode)
    -Now resuming from S3 works ok.

- F6
    -"Update CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.5.3.1 code / AM3 C3 CPU)"
    -2009/09/16

- F7B
    -"Beta BIOS"
    -"Update CPU ID (AGESA 3.5.3.1)"
    -2009/12/14

F7E
    -"Beta BIOS"
    -"Update CPU AGESA 3.7.0.0 for AMD 6core CPU"
    -2010/04/26

--------------------------------

If you need some of these, I could send them via email or msn. The versions that I don't have, are F2a, F3m and everything after F5.
    Updated 02-05-2010

*Note that these changes and functionalities have been tested with Phenom X4 9950 BE. Experience can be different with other CPU's*

I haven't noted ALL changes of the different versions (haven't tried F3m, F3t and F4V), so feel free to make comments and additions.

--------
    Offtopic: AOD 2.1.5 will most assumably NOT work with this board, so get version 2.1.4 instead. I have tried both 2.1.5 versions (0218 and 238) and they will not even recognize AMD CPU. The newest 2.1.6 seems to work ok.
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
    tong, Keefa, 3dsage and 1 other person say thanks.
  2. Paintface

Paintface New Member

Thanks Received:
    i ordered this mobo and a phenom 940, which bios would you advice me to use? also is ACC needed when only upping the multiplier?
  3. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    F3 ;)

I have no info about ACC and Deneb. There has been rumours that the ACC is "integrated" in the chip itself. And I have seen reports saying they can't get ACC to work with Phenom II. A little mystery to me. If someone has definitive information about this, it would be appreciated!
  4. Jaska New Member

Thanks Received:
    First post on techpowerup forums :toast:

RAID doesn't work on F3o.

Also in F3 when CPU multiplier is set auto it boots up correctly but it starts to bounce back and forth from 5x to 15x ( if cpuz everest are showing it correctly, when set manually it sticks with the set multiplier...)

E: There is also a strange thing when the system boots. after the normal short beep it gives a very short blip sound... don't know if it matters :\
  5. Frenchie New Member

Thanks Received:
    One more thing I wante3d to add is that 1066 is only supported in single channel.. Quote from Gigabyte tech support..

"3. Its AM2+ CPU limitation. When using memory of 1066MHz speed it can only support 1 dimm per channel so total of 2 dimm’s.

Channel 0: DDRII_1, DDRII_3
    Channel 1: DDRII_2, DDRII_4

To support DDR2-1066, please insert to DIMM 1 & 2 or DIMM 3 & 4."

Wish I'd known that before I put them in dual channel and fried my chipset.... :banghead: :mad:.
    Touch wood they'll run out (3 left) before it gets back to the seller and I can pick a new one ...:p
    (any recomendation for something similar budget welcome!)
  6. Paintface

Paintface New Member

Thanks Received:
    i put both the ram sticks right next to eachother , and set them to 1066 in the bios , does this mean they arent running dual channel now ??
  7. Jaska New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes they are, there is "two" dual channels.. so its either 1&2 or 3&4

from 790GP manual...
    " When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand speed and chips be used and installed in the same colored DDR2 sockets for optimum performance"
  8. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    CnQ enabled? It would explain it. I have never seen any change in clock speeds even with CnQ on auto and everything else on auto/default...
  9. Jaska New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could it be CPU related? I have Phenom II X4 940.

the thing is on auto, it doesnt go over the default multiplier (15) but it does go as low as 4x which I think is not possible to set on bios.

CnQ is enabled.
  10. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    That is the whole point of CnQ, it lowers the clocks and voltages in order to save power. And it seems that the F3 has fully functional CnQ with PhII. Just disable it if you feel that it's frustrating or you dont mind the higher power consumption on idle.

Btw, now I have seen a change in clocks... Under Win7 beta 64-bit. Minimum multiplier is x6.5 = 1300MHz voltage drops to 1.04V. I haven't used my rig with auto/default CnQ enabled -setting under XP for extended times, so I just thought that there is something wrong in CnQ. But now it seems to work, at least in Win7.
  11. Jaska New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought the CnQ feature only changes the CPU fan speed.

also doesn't it strain the cpu if it bounces every 1-5seconds from 800mhz to 3000mhz? Even when doing nothing or running some software :S I don't think it works correctly... Might run some tests today...

E: works fine the multiplier changes are rough though :)
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  12. tong

tong

Thanks Received:
    Same board, Same bios "F3" and a am2 6000+x2 with no problems, waiting to buy a 940.
    Geil ddr2 1066 2x2 gig

No problems so far. wish i could make it run the full 1066 fsb of the ram but...... will wait for new cpu
  13. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    So is F3 the best bios for this board? I'm gonna be getting it very soon.
  14. tong

tong

Thanks Received:
    Seems to be dependent on which series of processor you will be running.
  15. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well right now I have a 4200+ but I plan on getting a PII 720.
  16. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    Many review sites have been awarding this board and some reviews of Phenom II's were made with this board, and the reviewers said that it ran really nicely and with no problems. I am pretty sure the reason is in the CPU... 9950 BE. Maybe that is just one of the CPU's that this board doesn't like.

So it should work well with newer (or older) CPU's.
  17. 3dsage

3dsage New Member

Thanks Received:
    So far i'm liking this board.
    I'm running a 9950 B.E with it and the F3H bios.

Do you guys recomend another bios for this chip?

Also i'm guessing that Cold booting this board is an issue.
  18. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    I did some testing again... Now I'm sticking with F2 Bios. Of course if they'll release a newer version, I will try it. But for now, I am back to 3.3GHz at 1.4V with F2 bios. Its been a while since I could get 3.3 out of my rig. ACC is now +2 per core. And it seems it has no noticeable effect when raising it. I will try to get 3.4 but that's a far fetch on air.

I have been testing the other bioses (F3h and F3 mostly) and my head was almost exploding with the problems. Now I am quite releafed. :D

So I would use F2, search the maximum stable OC, then try if the newer version works with those setting (I highly doubt it).

I did some extended testing yesterday with Linpack Intelburntest (5 runs per test). Seemed to be that HT link can't go much over 2.2GHz or x11, Northbridge at 2.4GHz was stable.
    But I am trying to decide wheter I will go:
    HTT 200 - NB 2.40 - HT 2.20 - RAM 1066 5-5-5-15 - CPU x16.5 3.3GHz
    or
    HTT 207 - NB 2.27 - HT 2.27 - RAM 1100 5-6-6-15 - CPU x16.0 3.3GHz
  19. Noob@work New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I never actually did anything with bios, never OC, never did anything other than, assemble a computer, I was happy with that =D. Now however I know this doesnt matter, and it must be an error, however, i have ph2-940.. with a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4, was jus wondering why my computer doesnt read it at 3.0ghz, rather 2.3
  20. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    CnQ?
  21. Noob@work New Member

Thanks Received:
    Noob@work! what is cnq?
  22. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool & Quiet.
  23. Noob@work New Member

Thanks Received:
    Possibly, like I said, I have no real knowledge on this area. If I can be helped, as to, is 2.3ghz the correct number? and is 3.0ghz just something I have to OC to?
  24. Troubled

Troubled New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am currently using this board with the F3 BIOS...It would not POST properly with the F2 Bios on the Phenom II 940, had to get BIOS update using my wife's computer (hearing her nag the whole time even though i built her computer too...*sigh*) I have OverClocked quite nicely without changing the FSB at all...Hit 3.8GHz yesterday, however was not pass stability test (although it would boot and run just fine) Soooo....Backed the Clock down to 3.6GHz (200mhz x 18 @ 1.5V) HT@1800mhz x2 = 3600Mhz...Everything is stable....
  25. Noob@work New Member

Thanks Received:
    Having some issues after i formated, i am running Ide harddrives, and it doesnt boot correctly. I would have to go into Boot, and into the correct harddrives, i checked the right pins, any help? Is there a way to set it up so it knows which hard drive to read first?