1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE GTX 680 SuperOverclock WindForce 5X Pictured Some More

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Apr 30, 2012.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I think it's a clever design. I've thought of it myself in various versions. Looks ok i just wonder if those fans deliver enough air when under heavy load. Noise is not really a problem imo. I have few 40mm and 60mm fans from Noiseblocker which are very silent. The tiny 40mm runs at 3800 RPM and i can't really hear it. It's attached to my chipset cooler. So these shouldn't be of any problem.

2. function69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Need a real review with sound and heat levels.

3. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Okay they want to use the blower fans .... I can see that... while at load it will work very nicely for air cooling. But they should of pointed them this way..... Out the back.

[​IMG]

I know I performed a mod a long time ago like I am showing and ... while it was ugly as hell.... I saw temps in the max of 56c highly overclocked with a gtx 280

Attached Files:

4. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    I wonder when w1zz will get one for review? ;)

5. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    server/ghetto mode style cooler... This card is made just for some test bench

6. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Looks noisy.. and it looks like it would heat up the memory instead with the GPU conducted together with the mems on the coldplate.

7. chodaboy19

Thanks Received:
    The fins and heatpipes are not designed for rear exhaust. If you look at the heatsink design it's basically like a CPU heatsink, which forced them to go with the side fans, unless they just copied ASUS and put 2 large fans on top.

8. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    20mmrain, at first I didn't get what do you mean. But now I do. Yeah it's a great idea combined with a focused air-flow in the form of the honeycomb of CM X6 looks really efficient. But such a layout would be more appropriate to a vertically positioned GPU (like with Silverstone cases) it seems to me though. Can't w8 to see someone experiment with that. (they should announce a modding competition for GPU cooling system among the Hardware enthusiasts. I think some great ideas will pop up)

9. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    Yuck, I hope they have another version with a different cooler. This will disrupt the airflow so much in vertically aligned cases like the Silverstone FT02.

10. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g

Thanks Received:
  11. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
  12. ColdRush

Thanks Received:
    Haters gonna hate but I think this card is badass.

13. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I agree, this card is beautiful :)

14. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure if it's noisy they'll just say that most people don't overclock that high so it doesn't matter.

It was a good business decision to use several noisy fans.

15. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    i've read all the comments and they're pretty interesting, but let's get some stuff staright from both side:

1. This card is not advertised as "silent"
    2. those 1U fans are screamers, that's true now as it was 5yrs ago, you simply cannot generate a lot of airflow and pressure without going into the upper 6K rpms on these fans. In fact, modern 1U RM server fans are ~5cm deep and push 8K rpm at full speed and they drill your mind(but have a lower speed of less than 1K rpm)
    3. Gigabyte has the "bling" factor with this, noone has tried anything like this, and they put FIVE of them, so yeah, that's quit the bling bling factor(massive vapor plate, HUGE 9mm heatpipes, 5 x full-PWM screamers, unconventional cooling flow, BIG heatsink and exotic power delivery)
    4. in a open case this thing will perform great, or if you have enough clearance between the card and the side panel to exhaust the heat (probably a side panel 200mm fan in exhaust mode)

16. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Bling or not, if it's really noisy people will get something else.

Fortunately in this case there are plenty of alternatives.

17. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    you're mistaken in that aspect, people will buy it even if it makes more noise than a 747 taking off.

Same reason as people bought the dustbutser in the past: because it's fast

and same reason people buy cases with 10 mind-bending fans like the CM HAF series, noone in their right mind would buy that for accoustics, yet it's one of the most popular "high end overclocker" cases

18. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I disagree.

19. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if you're right, but from experience: I have a Thermaltake Extreme Spirit 2 on my SB. This cooler has a 40mm bugger, that runs at 4200rpm and is literary dead silent. I have to put my ear 1cm close and there is no 'swoosh' what-so-ever. I've run it at 5200rpm and then the noise is barely audile. It's true, that it pishes very little air, but jusy enough to get the job done. And there are some really quiet 40mm fans out there (Scythe for example.) If you are gonna spend 900 euro on a card, I don't think a couple more for a set of 5 small fans are gonna break the bank. I'm just saying it could be moderately loud card. Not silent, but moderately.

20. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    well as an addendum to my posts, they seem to be 1cm thick fans, those won't be loud(nor push much air either) even at high rpms..
    i'll tell you more, searching in Delta(pretty much the only good fan maker) yields interesting results:
    for 40x40x10 fans the mightiest one can barely push 0.55 CMM(~9CFM) @8000rpm and the noisiest one is no more than 35.5dBA....

the fans i thought it had where 40x40x48 and those are server fans that work at 13000rpm and those push .850 CMM (30 CFM)

lZKoce says thanks.
  21. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    its better add 1 big fan than put several small size fan
    but for design (minus the fans) it looks OK for me

22. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    If you want a card with bling, the Palit GTX 680 JetStream just reviewed has far more than this one. And it's extremely quite for this powerful of a GPU. Though it still takes 3 slots, which sucks.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_680_Jet_Stream/27.html

This Gigabyte card is just a curiosity to me. Will be interesting, but I will be surpised if it doesn't have a server whine to it.

23. TurdFergasun New Member

Thanks Received:
    they could be loud, but this design sure looks ideal for a cramped SLI setup which allows proper ventilation.