1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Android users clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by crazy pyro, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Canzara New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a quick question.
    When installing a rom, most instructions say to ensure you have a 100% charge on the battery. I have a dock for my GS2 and I'm wondering if its safe to just leave it plugged in while installing roms?
    After 6 months or so I've finally started messing with roms, AlienRom was pretty special, except its based on Gingerbread instead of ICS and the camera doesn't work, so about to try another one (my third since yesterday) but its a drag to wait for the battery to fully charge everytime. If I just left it on the dock, wouldn't need to wait...but I'm not sure if this can affect anything?
    Thanks
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Well some things like CWM recovery do not have battery charging capabilities so even if its in the dock, the battery will not charge.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Canzara New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your telling me software is necessary for charging?
    I'm not sure this makes sense, the phone charges while shut off completely, what relevance does the software have?
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yea, maybe Jr can explain it more in depth. I would PM him and see what he thinks

*edit*

This thread may shed some light on charging while in recovery. Some do some don't

http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/for...tery-charges-while-clockworkmod-recovery.html
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Canzara New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm just being a whiner anyway, I'm an impatient guy. Its not a big deal to wait 5 min I suppose.
    If someone else has thoughts on this I would love to hear them. I'm just interested in learning.
    My concern is when the phone boots the computer see's it and tries to mount the drives and I'm not sure how that will affect the update process if at all.
    I would be surprised if the PC even initialized it in CWM, but I haven't tried.
  6. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Not everyone wants to or knows how to root their devices, and some people don't want to lose functionality by going to a custom rom. I hear you though - my phone is stock but my Touchpad is rooted and running ICS (CM9).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Canzara New Member

Thanks Received:
    Geez I am just overwhelmed here. There are SOOOOO many mods available for the GS2, just when I find one I like, I find a dozen more that I need to try!
  8. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    That's the first step I guess. Don't get overwhelmed by the number of mods. :laugh:
  9. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    @Canzara

If you don't flash while 100% and you can charge while phone is in a completely powered off state(something that some smartphones don't do), wip battery stats when your phone DOES get to 100% or you may have battery calibration issues. Say "shortened" battery life so to speak.
    Canzara says thanks.
  10. Canzara New Member

Thanks Received:
    if I turn my phone off and put it on the charger after a second a battery indicator comes on and the phone charges
    Or am I reading what you said wrong as from reading that this shouldn't be happening.
  11. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    I am just saying, some of them don't have this ability and needs to be in a fully booted state to charge. Some of them have a custom recovery that allows charging while in recovery.

Say my Rezound for instance, CWM 5 is incompatible. While having CWM5 flash one the pohone I can't let the battery get to where the phone will kick off or it won't charge again unless i have an extra battery with at minimum 25% charge on it. That's just a plain out scenario though.

Flashing while 100% helps more than hurts, even though not needed still preferred.
    Canzara says thanks.
  12. Canzara New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, thanks.
    Thats what I've been doing anyway. My question was will leaving it on the dock while flashing have any affect? Will my computer initialize it in CWM and affect me in any way?
    I've already decided its more of a curiosity and convenience then a necessity anyway, but....
  13. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Shouldn't. Most it would do would be mount your SD/Internal storage, and you wouldn't be able to flash. Wouldn't hurt anything, you would just need to take it out of the dock. Try it out.
    Canzara says thanks.
  14. Canzara New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I'll try it next flash.
    Just installed Resurrection Mod and liking it so far.
    I wish that AlienRom was ICS. Although when looking on the xda forums under that thread title, there is some controversy and its been LOCKED...so maybe a bad rom to use at this point regardless of how cool it was.
    Thanks for your info Jr.
  15. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Welcome. Yeah, again you shouldn't run into a problem flashing in the dock though.
  16. Canzara New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to update, in case anyone else wondered I just flashed while in the cradle and it went fine. So it does work and is no risk as Jr suggested would be the case.
  17. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    anybody tried "fast charge" enabled kernel yet? I have, but my biggest charger is only one amp. supposedly, it can handle 1.5 amps. thoughts?
  18. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone now how to install games to my EXTERNAL sd card? I bought a 32GB sd card for my games, but it seems it will only install to the phones sd card memory. :(

Using a GSII 4.0.3 stock.
  19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i go to settings -> apps and theres a button 'move to USB storage' (which i take it to mean SD card)
  20. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I go to settings, applications and I tap the downloaded tab. On my games I have the setting of move to phone and that's it. The game install themselves on the 11.5GB "SD Card" which is the phones own storage. I can't get it to install onto my external sd card :(

For example if I go to task manager and go to storage theres System storage which is 2GB, USB storage (the phone) 11.50GB and SD card 31GB with no memory used on it.
  21. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    i'm trying that dropbox app to backup my pics automatically.... it's nice...
  22. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Manually move the apps to the SD card. Check each app and press "move to SD card"
  23. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Still goes to USB storage
  24. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah. You mentioned your phone. The Galaxy SII supports 16GB max.
  25. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I've tried it with a 2GB sd card and still didn't work. I have some screenies if you want to see?