1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU stress testing

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Octopuss, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    What else are people using besides Furmark? I figured I should probably use more than one program, just like with CPU (currently combination of Prime95 and LinX).
    I never cared for GPU much, mostly because I never overclocked my cards more than a little bit, but as I am currently doing more or less the opposite (undervolting), I think I need to be at least half sure everything is working correctly.

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Gaming, at least you aren't watching paint dry like in canned benches!

3. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Folk don't use Furmark anymore. The synthetics like Valley and Heaven are good for testing stability.
    So is a good long gaming session. Some folk say Far Cry 3 is unforgiving.

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Gaming. The Wargame RTS series, BF 3 and 4, Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, Far Cry 3, are a few I have used.

I also use OCCT, I do a CPU stress, then GPU stress then a PSU stress. Very handy utility to have. :toast:

5. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    PSU stress? What?

6. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    F@H seems to find problems with GPU's that pass everything else. (and you get to do something useful at the same time) I have a GTX 560 Ti that games okay but it can't complete a single F@H work unit.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    It stresses the CPU, MCH, loads RAM, and stresses the GPU at the same time...it's called the PSU test. Check out OCCT.

8. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Furmark does that as well. And basically anything that uses CPU and GPU at the same time. I wouldn't really call anything PSU stress test, because nothing does anything to it directly (and can't anyway).

P.S. OCCT, is that the program that hasn't been updated for like... 3 years or something?

9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Id think it would be a good way to do an overall performance load test along with loading more than any game I've ever played. Stopped using furmark years ago.

Not sure on OCCTs development cycle but I can attest that it works very well at testing PSU load, cooling capacity, the same goes for system stability and cooling capacity and it monitors my z87 just fine..temps, volts, etc. It has found failures where others were testing good.

The other nice thing is all the separate tests. CPU testing has a few flavors including avx testing. Even the stand alone GPU testing is solid..can do artifact scanning.

I don't believe there's another single program that does all that OCCT does in a single package nearly as well. Use it or don't...that's up to you. I prefer it and build dozens of PCs a month from business grade to high end gaming.

This is one of the few utilities I depend on because of its overall usefulness and ability to seek out failures. I have yet to have a PC fail in the field that passed its volleys of tests. Quick and simple install, easy ui, and its effective.

Use it or don't. Simple as that. :toast:

10. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I use OCCT and it was updated in the middle of last year IIRC until the guy had twins.

11. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Really? That's not so bad then.
    I'll see what's it about.