1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTA V for PC?

Discussion in 'Games' started by twicksisted, Sep 16, 2013.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If "a while" means five years from now, you're totally wrong. WRONG! I said it here first. Take a note. :p

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    well, the time frame for the PC release is irrelevant to me because I will be playing it tomorrow :roll:

i havn't been this excited about a game since L4D2. i hope another PC game comes along to give me a reason to build a gaming machine. After playing The Last of Us on the PS3 I really am having a lot of fun with console games.

v12dock says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think we'll see it after or with the new consoles, but if I had to bet then probably 3 months after the new consoles. I'd like to see it with them, but they don't want anyone buying it over a console. It's not a bad business decision on there part.. I mean who wouldn't want to get a few more paydays out of it and that's exactly what it will be to them after the xbox360 and ps3 release.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I'm not having any issues at all. I'm around 13% into the game and I have not noticed any slow down at all. It runs perfect on my PS3.

I actually thought this game was going to look like GTA4 and I wasn't excited about it at all but it looks quite a bit better. I'm so totally impressed with the visuals and the voice acting is great.

Normally I'd be bummed it didn't release on PC but the game is so damn good that I'm more than happy to play it on my PS3.

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    How do you have it early in CA?

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    The bolsheviks had a word for the likes of you: CLASS TRAITOR.

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I see people say this a lot.

So many people say the PC port "wasn't optimized" or was "a crappy port" just because maximum settings overpowered high end PCs at the time of release. However, that isn't how you measure how well a game is optimized. A real measure of a games optimization is if it can play on a wide range of hardware, and GTA:IV could. When GTA:IV came out for PC in Dec. 2008, I played it using an HD4670 and an Athlon X2 4400+. The GPU at the time was pretty new to the market, but it was also a mid-range card, the processor at the time was several years old, in fact the CPU was bought all the way back in 2006. The game ran just fine and looked good too, in looks significantly better than the console version that's for sure. To me, being able to run on a mid-range-ish system and look better than the console translates into a pretty good port.

The sad thing is that most people would have never complained about the game "not being optimized" if Rockstar had just limited the maximum settings to half of what they did, but instead Rockstar gave us the option to crank that shit up knowing it would bring hardware to it's knees, and I applaud them for that.

ViperXTR, digibucc, grunt_408 and 3 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Like Easy Rhino, I won't be waiting for this game to release on PC to get it. Ill get it on Xbox first, and then if it does end up releasing on PC, ill probably get it during a Steam sale.

9. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    If we got it on PC now, it would just be so superior on PC that no one would buy it for consoles. Which is why they wait to release it a while afterwards. That's totally true right? :p

10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Bottom line is people will always bitch and moan about something. I think bitching and moaning that a large customer base has to wait 8+ months to get the product takes precedent over mocking the product that arrives. If the former doesn't happen, nor does the latter.

Case in point: I'd rather be able to complain that Saints Row 2 has poor performance on dual core processors (a genuine but fixable grievance) than complain I couldn't play the game at all because they skipped Windows (like they did with Saints Row).

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Must we go over this again and again... They always release GTA for PC after they release it for console

GTA3 - 211 days
    GTA VC- 197 days
    GTA SA -224 days
    GTA4 -217 days

GTA5 should be release for PC within 212 days of release for console

grunt_408, digibucc and erocker say thanks.
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    That's a good thing, as if it's like thee video that some one posted on TPU not to long ago the cars seem to of gotten worse not better.

13. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Still waiting for RDR to come to PC....

14. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    I just really hope that they optimize it better than GTA IV was for PC. IV(a game from 2008) still runs shit on my PC. If it ran smoothly like other AAA games such as BF3(60fps constant) I would be so happy

15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    your comparing GTA to BF3 :shadedshu

And surly the car truck crashes and physics of BF3 are any thing a like GTA 4.

16. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    If this game will ne on next gen consoles i will maybe buy it otherwise its waste of money its same gta4 game core anyways

17. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Some games are more like smoke and mirrors and some are more like simulations. GTA is latter. All cores of a cpu are utilized and there is motion and AI simulation for every NPC on screen (euphoria/ephedrine engine) plus vehicles and that's what eats frame rate. It's like making your pc run need for speed, sims and gears of war at the same time :laugh:

18. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    err.. no. it runs like shit because its ported from a console.
    even the AA and all that stuff didnt work properly.
    fortunately a lot of mods are available that make things look a lot nicer.

19. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    All games are developed on PCs, and then optimized for the target platforms (all target platforms, in this case consoles, are derived from PCs). Bad port means just not being optimized for the target platform.
    Now, GTA 4 may be CPU hungry from lack of PC specific optimizations, but it is not port just because released after console version.
    You see, euphoria/ephedrine is third party engine that needs to be integrated with another third party physics engine - doing that on console bears much less performance penalty because on PC you have to go through bunch of API layers for that. BTW they managed to optimize it pretty good with latest patches.

20. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    latest patches? guess ill need to reinstall and see.

21. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    I'd say the PC release would be around next year or the year after. My guess they'll release the PC version last because they want to see how it Performs across all the platforms, then after testing it on the console they'll fix bugs and codes for the PC.

So yeah consider the PS3/Xbox360 versions a lab rat for GTAV. For now enjoy Ironman in GTAIV :D

22. lyndonguitar

Thanks Received:
    well, you're making it sound like GTA IV is a PC exclusive much like Total War or Arma. which is really comparable to "making your pc run need for speed, sims(console version though) and gears of war at the same time"

Remember consoles had GTA IV too, and they handled them the same as any other console game, would that mean that console can run NFS, sims and gears all at the same time too? NO. they all ran at ran low-medium graphics with 30 FPS max

Consoles, machines from 2005, handled GTA IV and BF3 the same. and assuming they are maximizing the hardware potential on both games, That would mean the consoles couldn't run anymore higher settings in both games or the FPS will drop below 30.

come the PC version, GTA IV was really that bad. BF3 with ultra settings runs and looks better than GTA IV at low-medium settings, especially with that night shadows turned on. (this is on my current rig btw, both games are installed atm)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  23. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to say that yes, you're right, for the most part it was not the porting but the technical demands on the hardware at the time, coupled with problems on some GPUs that was eventually patched. The former if anything is an indication they DO somewhat separately develop the PC versions, vs them running easily at max settings. Most if not all PC systems at the time could not max shadows due to insufficient VRAM.

Sometimes I forget that. I went through a lot of frustrations with my X1950Pro waiting for a patch to fix all the problems I was having with the game, but they finally came through.

Part of what gives me confidence GTA V (and maybe even RDR) will come to PC, besides GTA traditionally always having been put on PC, is that Rockstar Leeds ad posted some time ago looking for a programmer to bring their latest console titles to PC. It was all over the net on several sites very quickly.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/09/rockstar-job-listing-hints-at-possible-gta-5-pc-release/

24. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Patience young grasshopper, Patience.

25. lyndonguitar

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna get it tomorrow wednesday for Xbox 360 and i have exams on Thursday!! wish me luck