1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 580 crashing in BF3 only, weird symbols on screen

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by lwgnlseven, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    Edit:
    I have a Sparkle reference 580 and the max volt at load is 1.01v "at stock clocks" so you have a higher volt than me, is your's reference too? for curiosity could you provide a GPU-Z shot of your card and what version of BF3 you have.
    i'll install BF3 later and see if it runs stable

on a side note thnx gopal

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. gopal

gopal

Thanks Received:
    Patna, Bihar, India, Asia, Earth, Terron System, M
    @Doc41<Please don't talk about "P"software here you can take it to PMs.
    if any mod see you then you will pay the ultimate price

Doc41 says thanks.
  3. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    Yes its a reference gtx 580 1.5 gb. I'll take a GPU-Z screenshot after work and find out what version of BF3 I've got.

4. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

For the GPU in BF3 section, the VDDC was at 53A when playing and my PSU has a 12v amp rail of 70A, so it should have plenty of headroom. It dropped a bit when I tabbed to desktop to take the picture. Does the VDDC fluctuate during gameplay? Sometimes I see it at 57A at 1.014, other times its at 49A at 1.029 etc. The default is suppose to be 1.038. Does everything look to be where it should be? As far as the BF3 version that I have, I bought it directly through Origin and have downloaded all updates/patches through them so I would assume that I have the very latest version of BF3.

**edit**
    Just crashed again after playing for 10 minutes.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  5. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm the card seems to be normal and the fluctuation you see is related to usage, e.g. when you play its at full load and draws its maximum power "i think" and when load drops such as in cut scenes or less demanding situations it will reduce power usage as it is not needed.

That said IMO i think the problem is either with the game itself or something is conflicting (but whether its software or hardware i don't know) as you said it's not crashing with anything but BF3.

It's troublesome but you'll have to do more troubleshooting if you want to pinpoint the problem, for now if you can try using the card in another slot if your MB has more and trying the game with different settings, btw i installed it and played for 1 hour+ and it ran without any issues so far.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    now u talking specs of ur PSU have u tired to confirm it gives the right amp?

but still tired giving ur GTX 580 some more power through MSI Afterburner or something to see if that fix ur problem?

7. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    I realised now that when I played BF3 originally, I used driver 296.10 and had no issue. During my time off from the game I updated to 301.42 and have crashed since coming back. I've installed 296.10 again so I will give it some playtime and try it.

When I would crash in BF3, I would get the symbols on my screen and then when I tabbed to the desktop, the bottom right corner was a message that would say something like "Nvidia driver has crashed and recovered" Could a faulty driver cause a demanding game to lock up? Or would a faulty card cause a driver to fail? Which one would make more sense?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  8. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    a quick fix to try when u get "Nvidia driver has crashed and recovered" go in to Nvidia Control Panel --> Configure Srround, PhysX and than set PhysX Settings to ur GPU not Auto or CPU normally fixes the issue for alot of ppl.

lwgnlseven says thanks.
  9. Desert Eagle

Desert Eagle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I was gettng weird artifacting with my GTX 560 Ti and I used compressed air to try to blow the dust out but it made no difference so I removed the shroud and blew it out and no difference so I left the shroud off and the side panel fan blows directly on the heatsink. No more artifacting.
    GPU-Z reports the GPU temp but the artifacting is caused by the vram getting too hot I think.

10. revan67 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey... 100% correct answer:
    Not enough default voltage in certain scenarios- the damn Nvidia partners didn't test enough the cards before selling them... I have this problem too (same picture with green dots) from more then one year with my MSI GTX580 in BF3 (and also in some areas in Crysis 2, in Deus Ex 3 - China level and in Just Cause 2)
    Be happy :) - your card is not dying!.
    Solution: before you start BF3 (or another) use Nvidia Inspector to raise the voltage with one step (from 1.01V to 1.025V in your case) and that's all... enjoy..

PS: you own me a beer dude :)

11. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    you really should not be needing to push 1.038v though it it *SHOULD*
    run at stock speeds if not I would return the card for replacement anyway :shadedshu

12. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking the voltage is fine as it is. I've been playing BF3 on and off for 3 days now without a crash since going back to the previous nvidia driver. I googled the newest driver and issues with BF3, and while people weren't necessarily getting artifact freezing, they were freezing up and crashing to desktop a lot. Others were not affected. So it seems hit or miss, however maybe the newest driver just doesn't want to be compatible with my setup. I'll keep testing on these older drivers and hope for the best. I'll post back in a week if I have no issues.

Law-II says thanks.
  13. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    It just crashed again with the old drivers.... :-\

I've found this topic somewhere, same exact problem, he's flashed to the newest bios, did not fix it....

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=153926.0

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r27310514-BF3-EVGA-card-freezing-possible-fix

Is it completely safe to change my stock vcore from 1.038 to 1.050? Seems like a very tiny increase but some are saying it stopped their BF3 crashing....My friend told me changing the voltage can cause permanent damage so I'm unsure about doing it...One of his friends added voltage to his GPU and now if he tries to go back to default values, the card crashes, he is forced to add voltage in order to keep it stable....Not what I want to do...

**Edit** I've changed vcore to 1.050 from 1.038. Is this safe to try?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  14. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    Anybody have experience with adding some voltage and how safe it is?

15. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    adding voltage is perfectly safe so long as you don't go adding huge amounts
    start with adding +0.050 but don't go beyond 1.135v(total)

16. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    I have started with going from 1.038 to 1.050 and have not crashed yet in BF3. I use 1.050 for BF3 only and 1.038 for everything else to play it safe. Hoping for the best! :D

17. lwgnlseven

Thanks Received:
    *Update to those who were interested*

Played 6 weeks at 1.050 voltage and crashed only once. I have since received a gtx 680 now so I can no longer test with the 580, but increasing the voltage helped dramatically with my game artifacting/freezing. Thanks to all :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    Crap Daddy says thanks.
  18. Mike89

Thanks Received:
    I too have had this "green dollar sign like" dots on screen at times with Deus Ex 3, Crysis 2 and Assassin's Creed 3. Curiously I've never had them in BF3 though I only play it in single player (I'm just not a multiplayer type dude).

I also believe it's a voltage issue and maybe inevitably something not quite right with the card. The maximum voltage is somewhere around 1.15 so anything below that is safe to use. My EVGA GTX 580 (which was max voltage of 1.038) is now in my daughter's computer and I have the EVGA GTX 680 now that doesn't "green dot" in those same games.

Anyway the GTX 580 is doing it the most in Assassin's Creed 3 (as that's what my daughter is playing right now). It got to the point of not even being able to play that game more than minute or so without either the "green dot" thing, ctd's, or freezing at stock voltage. I've raised it twice now, once to 1.0.5.1 which improved it where it only crashed about once every half hour or so. Raised it again to 1.0.6.8 and it seems stable so far at that voltage. I'm not even worried about that voltage being too high as it's still quite a bit under max.

The 580's are a bit temperamental and maybe have some inherent flaws. If it gets any worse I'm going to rma it with EVGA since I still have a lifetime warranty with that card.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012