• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have had 4 980gtxs g1 gaming coil whine on all

rrangel88

Hi guy's,

Just had a question I've had 4 g1 gaming gtx 980s in the past few years all had coil whine at 50+ fps even heard one of them when scrolling on the Internet. My PSU is the Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 - 850W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Silver. I have had this Psu since 2012ish. Could it be this power supply that is affecting it? I have heard coil whine from the power cord at the back of it also. Should I get the EVGA 850w supernova. Would this change of psu maybe decrease the coil whine from my card's or any psu that may decrease the coil whine. I recently baught a new 980. I have replaced it once already and it has the same coil whine as the one I currently have. So may it be the Psu? I just hate RMAing them again and again, so maybe it might be my Psu instead. Idk what to do I'm a bit lost as I want to sli them but my current one that I own also has coil whine and he new one has it also. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated thanks. It's this card http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814125696

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I'd definitely go with the G2 850W unit. Damn good units. Failing that the Superflower Leadex platform is relatively awesome too.

If you can specifically hear coil whine behind your power cord, I'd go about replacing that PSU. Sometimes coil whine is simply inevitable though.

rrangel88

I'd definitely go with the G2 850W unit. Damn good units. Failing that the Superflower Leadex platform is relatively awesome too.

If you can specifically hear coil whine behind your power cord, I'd go about replacing that PSU. Sometimes coil whine is simply inevitable though.

I can only hear it a lil bit from behind the pc but the main issue is the cards coil whine. I just recently found my receipt for my 1 yr old gtx 980 so. I am probably going to rma that card and this card I have also.... till I get 2 without coil whine or at least get them to test the thing's before they send me a new one's pre tested or change it to a different brand... maybe asus trix I'm not sure which has a less % chance that it won't have coil whine on it.

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Not all retailers/manufacturers will replace your GPU because it has coil whine. They may just be returning you the same card. Coil whine is rarely covered by any kind of warranty.

A better PSU can improve things though.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
Well mine 980Ti G1 is okay, no whine... funny eh?

The coil whine also could be caused by poor motherboard grounding, economy of layers. I had problems once with GTX280 my X58SO... I solved it by using the additional headers PCIE supply on board, it reduced the whine a lot, but not completely, those cards such suffered from it.

PSU also can cause it, especially multi 12V rail ones.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Last edited:

rrangel88

Hrmmm what's the difference between "group regulated, and not a VRM (voltageregulator module) based design"? also 12v multi rail ones isn't a good thing? Would it be better if I got them to try the evga supernova g2 psu? I'm also using the z77 extreme 4 gigabyte mobo atm.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Hrmmm what's the difference between "group regulated, and not a VRM (voltageregulator module) based design"? also 12v multi rail ones isn't a good thing? Would it be better if I got them to try the evga supernova g2 psu? I'm also using the z77 extreme 4 gigabyte mobo atm.

1. Group regulation is a design usually for budget PSUs and older models. It just doesn't do as well as newer designs in just about every aspect of a PSU's performance.

2. The # of 12V rails usually has no correlation with performance. In lower-end PSUs, however, having more than one 12V rail usually signifies that it's a piece of junk though there are exceptions. What matters is the build quality and actual design of the PSU.

3. The G2 PSUs are good. Go with any of them; I'd recommend the 750 and 850W models simply because they've been around longer.

4. Z77 Extreme4 is not a Gigabyte motherboard. Do you have an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or a Gigabyte Z77-UD4H?

rrangel88

1. Group regulation is a design usually for budget PSUs and older models. It just doesn't do as well as newer designs in just about every aspect of a PSU's performance.

2. The # of 12V rails usually has no correlation with performance. In lower-end PSUs, however, having more than one 12V rail usually signifies that it's a piece of junk though there are exceptions. What matters is the build quality and actual design of the PSU.

3. The G2 PSUs are good. Go with any of them; I'd recommend the 750 and 850W models simply because they've been around longer.

4. Z77 Extreme4 is not a Gigabyte motherboard. Do you have an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or a Gigabyte Z77-UD4H?

Sorry meant to say Asrock, and how about the rm850i psu? And should I get the psu before I do the RMA again on both card's?

Last edited:
System Name Main/DC
Audio Device(s) on board
Oh crap. Just spent more time reading over at JG. It seems like coil whine can come from the GPU, the PSU, the GPU and PSU bouncing off of each other, and even the outlet you plug into. So the "Oh crap" is that there is no guarantee that replacing any one part will fix the problem.
OP, what case do you have? One person mentioned using a quiet case, like a Fractal Design Define R5 to trap the sound.

rrangel88

Oh crap. Just spent more time reading over at JG. It seems like coil whine can come from the GPU, the PSU, the GPU and PSU bouncing off of each other, and even the outlet you plug into. So the "Oh crap" is that there is no guarantee that replacing any one part will fix the problem.
OP, what case do you have? One person mentioned using a quiet case, like a Fractal Design Define R5 to trap the sound.

I do in fact have the define R5 case that I bought recently but even then I can still hear them through the case and over the fan's noise.... with it capped at 60 fps vsync on still noise. I'm getting annoyed ahah maybe I'll just rma them both again...... or change the brand of the gpu from gigabyte? Would that even work idk which brand is less likely to have no coil whine. Maybe I can just get store credit and then get a different card's or single card. I'm stuck in a dilemma it's just that why should I spend so much money on 2 card's and having them have coil whine and have to put up with that sound that makes me want to cut my ears off ahaha.

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11

rrangel88

I could change the power outlet tomorrow to the slot next to it. I'll give it a shot before I do RMA the card's again.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
The coil whine also could be caused by poor motherboard grounding
this ! placing some plastic washers between case and motherboard can really make a difference on this problem, i have never gotten coil whine with my videocards,

agreed....

or change the brand of the gpu from gigabyte? Would that even work idk which brand is less likely to have no coil whine
you dont have too... check other things first.... i have been using Gigabyte cards and no coil whine...

di you at least use a surge suppressor in your outlet? or is connected just to your home power?

I could change the power outlet tomorrow to the slot next to it. I'll give it a shot before I do RMA the card's again.

as many others said... not al retail take coilwhine in warranty

rrangel88

this ! placing some plastic washers between case and motherboard can really make a difference on this problem, i have never gotten coil whine with my videocards,

agreed....

you dont have too... check other things first.... i have been using Gigabyte cards and no coil whine...

di you at least use a surge suppressor in your outlet? or is connected just to your home power?

as many others said... not al retail take coilwhine in warranty

I do have surge protection, the retailer did do an rma on it. I believe the other retailer said they can also rma it as well if it does have coil whine. If they can do it again I'll do it. Any picture of the plastic washers between the mobo/case like any specific point as to where they should go? If I don't reply I feel asleep it's nearly 3am in Australia :)

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
any plastic washer could help... you just need motherboard not making contact directly on case, you can also make them ...

take a watch... also as a personal comment, i use double washer....
order: golden screw>washer> moberoard> washer>black screw did you get it ? pretty simple....

rrangel88

any plastic washer could help... you just need motherboard not making contact directly on case, you can also make them ...

take a watch... also as a personal comment, i use double washer....
order: golden screw>washer> moberoard> washer>black screw did you get it ? pretty simple....

Okay I think I got it, but I need to replace the current screws of the mobo correct woth the modified one's yeah?

System Name Main/DC
Audio Device(s) on board
@rrangel88 , I want you to know that I see your PSU as the "weakest link" or "most likely culprit," but there is no guarantee that replacing the PSU will solve the problem.
or change the brand of the gpu from gigabyte?
I don't see lots of coil whine complaints in the reviews at Newegg. If you were using PNY or Zotac, then I might agree. (just realized that those are bargain brands and that those who buy them may have lower end PSU's which might be causing the problems)
I do have surge protection
Is it a quality unit? Does it actually say "surge protector" on the bottom?

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Okay I think I got it, but I need to replace the current screws of the mobo correct woth the modified one's yeah?
well .... if you got the washers... just use them ...if got a complete kit replace everything....

@rrangel88 , I want you to know that I see your PSU as the "weakest link" or "most likely culprit," but there is no guarantee that replacing the PSU will solve the problem.
this give me an idea, try a different psu maybe from a friend... thius may show you if the problem came with the PSU and you can try out the card on other computer... to see if still coil whines there....

Regards,

rrangel88

I don't see lots of coil whine complaints in the reviews at Newegg. If you were using PNY or Zotac, then I might agree. (just realized that those are bargain brands and that those who buy them may have lower end PSU's which might be causing the problems)

Is it a quality unit? Does it actually say "surge protector" on the bottom?

Yes it does say "surge protector" on the bottom and the gigabyte card is a fine brand then? And I will most likely get a new PSU and I do believe I need a better one as it does have a bit of coil whine also.

rrangel88

well .... if you got the washers... just use them ...if got a complete kit replace everything....

this give me an idea, try a different psu maybe from a friend... thius may show you if the problem came with the PSU and you can try out the card on other computer... to see if still coil whines there....

Regards,

Alright I'll give that a try to. Cheers I think im gonna pass out now.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Yes it does say "surge protector" on the bottom and the gigabyte card is a fine brand then? And I will most likely get a new PSU and I do believe I need a better one as it does have a bit of coil whine also.
there are better PSU's and also you can change or switch yours with someone else just to try out the video card... maybe any of your friends.... that will let you know if its a psu fault....

Alright I'll give that a try to. Cheers I think im gonna pass out now.
take a rest! we will see tomorrow!

rrangel88

there are better PSU's and also you can change or switch yours with someone else just to try out the video card... maybe any of your friends.... that will let you know if its a psu fault....

take a rest! we will see tomorrow!

Thanks man I'm gonna test it tomorrow on my mate's system the card. Also the psu I'm looking at is the EVGA supernova g2 850w and also the RM850i how are they and which would you recommend if it is the psu?

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Thanks man I'm gonna test it tomorrow on my mate's system the card. Also the psu I'm looking at is the EVGA supernova g2 850w and also the RM850i how are they and which would you recommend if it is the psu?
i like mostly thermaltake craps... have been using then without problems for mostly half of my life... but i truly recognize that EVGA supernova [seasonic made unit] works perfect, i installed one to a customer like 4 months ago, gaming and overclocking without problems, those PSU's are so overpriced here in my country, despite that the Seasonic units aren't that overpriced, ironic!

try out the card in another system, is possible add the washers too, let us know lad, we are here to help each other!

Regards,

rrangel88

i like mostly thermaltake craps... have been using then without problems for mostly half of my life... but i truly recognize that EVGA supernova [seasonic made unit] works perfect, i installed one to a customer like 4 months ago, gaming and overclocking without problems, those PSU's are so overpriced here in my country, despite that the Seasonic units aren't that overpriced, ironic!

try out the card in another system, is possible add the washers too, let us know lad, we are here to help each other!

Regards,

Thanks again I'll let you know how it turns out later today after I sleep and to to my mate's place.