1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have you got pie today?

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by A novice, May 9, 2009.

1. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, since the ground rules for the Chimp Challenge appear to be improvement over your PPD average(based on the last 4 months), I have a proposition for my WCG brothers. The F@H team can move hardware over to WCG for the next month or so and in return, the WCG Team can help us during the 2 weeks of the Chimp Challenge(starting May 5th). We would need as much participation from the WCG team as possible. What do you say guy's? I have 4 -i7's that will be switched over to WCG within the next 24hrs if you find this arrangement satisfactory.
  2. twilyth Guest

I'm cool with other team members switching, but I won't. I have 5 rigs running and I don't want to screw with the 3 that are dedicated crunchers. On the 2 that are my primaries, I have them set to suspend when I'm using them and since I'm on one or the other pretty much all day long, they don't tend to produce much. You can check my host stats on BOINC stats and see what I'm saying.

Also, I'm too much of a points whore to do anything like that. I know it's selfish, but I'm being honest. I'm sure a good chunk of the other team members will be down with that suggestion so don't regard my response as in any way representative.
  3. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Buck I'm in, however I have nothing to switch over. All my cards fold except my 5870 which for the CC I will put to fold like I put my 5770's last year. I got no CPU's worthy of F@H. :(
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  4. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Before the big advance (AKA -bigadv) work units came to surface, GPU's had the upperhand. The bonus completion points for the -bigadv on top of the normal PPD gives it somewhere in the 65K-75K PPD range which is something a single or dual card PPD wise cannot match.
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  5. twilyth Guest

Thanks man. For while there I thought I was hallucinating. I could have sworn that the CPU's didn't contribute much, but obviously my info was seriously out of date.

It looks like people who do switch over can make a major contribution to the Folding team's ppd. My sincerest wishes of good luck there. :toast:
  6. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't that artificially lower our average 4 month PPD that is used as the baseline for improvement? I might be looking at it wrong, but it seems like that is the equivalent of tanking.

On another note, I will revisit SMP folding on my i7 for the duration of the CC.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. twilyth Guest

That sounds like a valid point to me since it doesn't start until May 5th and in the meantime the folding team's ppd avg would be artificially depressed.
  8. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but in love and war..

Some other team, no name, did something similar for some weeks now.

Your i7 will be most welcome.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    We are using the averages prior to this month. This method was chosen so that there would be no intentional tampering with PPD.
    Chicken Patty and theonedub say thanks.
  10. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for clarifying that :toast: I knew there had to be something I was missing :eek:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. twilyth Guest

Today sees MW with cherry pie and 30k, MJK with lime and 28.8k and Metal with 23.5k for blueberry pie.

[​IMG]
  12. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Finally got my i7 920 up and crunching again (been waiting on a motherboard).
    Can't keep up with Mindweaver, MetalRacer or mjmike though:respect:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Every bit helps. :) You aren't far off!
    HammerON says thanks.
  14. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll get my GTX 285 ready! I got a 9600 gt i'll try to get going! :toast: I got your back! :rockout: just shoot me a pm on the 4th and i'll crank them up bro! :toast:

It's hard for me to keep up as well..hehehe :toast: they are really stepping up there game! :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    You know it's not just GPU you can use for folding right?

Some of you with multiple i7 rigs can convert those to F@H as well. We have a lot tutorial resources in the F@H sub-forum that can help all of you who are interested in switching;)

Remember it's only for two weeks (also voluntary) and you're back to your normal routine after that.
  16. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    err yea.. do you not recall that I started out folding for tpu with just cpu's? I remember having around 22 cpu's folding and my GTX 285 folded more than my 22 cpu's folding. Our crunching program uses gpu's as well. :toast: I don't expect our folding team to turn over there gpu's to crunch, because it would hurt the folding teams daily out put. But putting my GTX 285 over to folding doesn't hurt our crunching team either. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    I think that we were hoping for a small return favour...anyway my two hexs are now crunching.
    Mindweaver, stinger608 and bogmali say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    Getting old bro :banghead:The latter part of my reply was never meant to insult you in any way but rather as an FYI for everyone who is interested.

Hmmnn, I did not know that you could crunch WCG with GPU's:confused: I thought you had to do this via another project:confused:

One i7 is crunching now, one more later when I get to it (at another location), and the rest by tomorrow.
  19. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    New to me as well...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    WCG doesn't give any work to my GPU... are you sure that you can crunch for WCG on GPUs? :confused:
  21. KieX

Thanks Received:
    WCG doesn't run on GPU (not yet at least).

What Mindweaver was saying is that the BOINC software (which runs WCG and many other projects) supports GPU. But he doesn't expect folding GPU's to be switched over to BOINC
    BOINC GPU supported projects

Projects with NVIDIA applications:
    GPUgrid.net
    SETI@home
    Milkyway@home
    AQUA@home
    Lattice
    Collatz Conjecture

Projects with ATI applications:
    Collatz Conjecture
    Milkyway@home (coming soon)
    Mindweaver and stinger608 say thanks.
  22. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    PrimeGrid also supports the GPU for BOINC.
    Thanks for clearing up that confusion! :)
    KieX says thanks.
  23. twilyth Guest

MW is in first with 27.6k but dusty makes a surprise showing in second with 22.2k. MJK rounds it out with 20.9k.

[​IMG]
  24. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Ah i wasn't insulted bro.. :slap: :roll: I was just saying brotha.. ;) KieX said it best. He got what i was saying.:toast: I was just saying helping is great, but i didn't want to take away from either of our teams. I don't know but how many PPD do you get with the i7 860 folding?
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    If you do -bigadv between 60-70K;)
    Mindweaver says thanks.