1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have you got pie today?

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by A novice, May 9, 2009.

1. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah man, they run hot but the safe temp is also pretty high if I recall from my 920. So there's still a bit of room for youi.
  2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    What workload do you run with the 8150? They seem to run best when the load is balanced (i.e. lots of the same WU's). I'm running a mixed load (all projects) on my 8150 atm and I'm still getting over 4k ppd at stock clocks.

When it cools off a bit I will be balancing the load on it and going up to at least 4.2 on the o/c.... should get it over 6k ppd then ;)
    [Ion] and Daimus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    Accurately noticed.
    I'm also trying to make sure that FX has the same tasks for all cores. At least for a day.
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I have all my machines set to do everything, so I guess that's where the difference lies. If I look at the last 7 days, the 870 has a small lead over the 8150.

And yes, my 870 runs at around 70-75c on a CM 212 EVO at 3.8/1.325v core/1.275v VTT in an air-conditioned (but ~30c) room.
    Daimus and Norton say thanks.
  5. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    That's a big high, but not extraordinary. My 875k did ~95c @ full load @ stock on the stock cooler....the Kuhler 620 dropped that to ~55c IIRC.

The SB CPUs are really an incredible improvement in temperature/power usage for stock & OCing
    6k PPD from a 4.2GHz FX-81x0? :eek:
    That's rather incredible...at that PPD, I might have to get one of those instead of a 2600k or other i7 :cool:

How much of an impact does balanced WUs have? That's generally the way I like to run things anyways (focus on one project at a time)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Norton

Thanks Received:
    6k ppd is a goal. Reachable.... I believe so :) Daimus' 8120 can post some pretty good ppd with his o/c so an 8150 should produce the same or better ppd.

Load balancing/running the same wu's should allow the most efficient use of cpu cycles, similar to tuning/balancing a car's engine to fire even on all cylinders.;)
    Daimus says thanks.
  7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Impressive! That's pretty amazing, really! And can this be reached with the Biostar 880G board?

I actually figured that non-balanced WUs were best, particularly on HT-enabled CPUs. I figured, that way, each WU would use different features/resources of the CPU, and the CPU could be more fully utilized than just running 8 of the same thing.
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Norton

Thanks Received:
    The 8150 is on the ASUS M5A99X Evo. I'm not sure how hard I would push the clocks on the 880G boards (running the 6100@3.6 and 6200@4.0 on them atm w/o issues)

You may be right on the wu's, you have more experience with crunching than I do. I do notice improvements in output when running FX with batches of the same wu's though .... as always, YMMV :)
    Daimus says thanks.
  9. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    The pending results stay that way because WU's are issued to multiple computers and their results are compared. So when you have a WU pending it's because they are waiting for the same WU to be completed by other computers on the grid for comparison and to verify accuracy. If you're WU has a different result than the majority of the results returned you get an error. If it matches then you get a valid. The points you get are based on completion time in comparison to other return times as well.
    ThE_MaD_ShOt and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  10. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    That's pretty high ambient, at least for me. If you had that down some your temps will improve drastically. But I say those temps are fine.

I'm itching to build a 8120 based rig. They are giving them away at the price they are at now I say. Gotta love AMD's pricing for sure though.
    Daimus says thanks.
  11. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Thats why me love Amd. :toast:
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I love AMD too, more than intel. Just that I chose Intel because I got a crazy good deal on my 2600K and because at the time it seemed like a good choice, which it still is. But I'll probably go back to AMD for my main rig at least.
    Daimus says thanks.
  13. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    AMD Rocks, they run cooler just like their GPU's. I would never want a GTX in my rig while gaming in the summer. I'd sweat my balls off!
    Daimus says thanks.
  14. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I've always had AMD/ATI. Maybe when I get around to building an FX rig I'll slap on a beasty 7000 series card as well. :)
    Daimus and ChaoticAtmosphere say thanks.
  15. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    You will not regret it CP. I love my 7970 and hope to get the 2nd in September. :D

Which reminds me, it's time to suspend operations and enjoy some fast framerates!!! :rockout:
    Daimus and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  16. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I have been strickly with Amd/Ati since I built the k6-2 system I had way back when. I never looked back. Went from it to a Slot a then to the socket A's, to what I have now. I have 1 out of my six systems running that have a Nvidia gpu. I got that card almost free and it is in one of the linux boxes. It's is also a passively cooled card so I don't have to worry about a fan going out on it.
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Time for Pie!.... :)
    [​IMG]
    Are you in our Top 20?
    [​IMG]
    An old Favorite from another time!:)
    [​IMG]
    Congrats to All of our Cruncher's!!! :toast:
    Daimus, [Ion], ThE_MaD_ShOt and 2 others say thanks.
  18. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I am pretty positive I'll be building an AMD rig soon.

And good job pie eaters!
    ChaoticAtmosphere says thanks.
  19. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    IMO, AMD CPUs are cheaper, slower and more power hungry while Intel CPUs are more expensive, faster and less power hungry. I'd rather have a 2600K over an FX-8150, but everyone knows that the initial investment cost is higher. However, if you are running something at 100% load and hang onto it for a long time, the more efficient but more expensive CPU will win simply because it will repay itself in saved energy costs.

Same thing goes for air conditioners. High SEER units cost a ton but are much more energy efficient than cheap bargain units, and will pay for themselves with saved energy costs.

And about the AMD CPUs running cooler, that's partially true/false. For one, AMD's sensors at idle have read below room temperature on most of my Phenom or newer chips (like, 19c in a 30c room). Intel's CPUs seem to have more accurate sensors, but remember, most of Intel's newest CPUs are built on more advanced process nodes with smaller die areas, and physics tells us that something with less surface area compared to its mass has a harder time dissipating heat compared to something with a huge surface area and the same mass (which is why we add huge metal devices called heatsinks to our CPUs and attach them with thermal paste to provide optimal heat transfer, since thermal paste fills in all the microscopic pits in the metal surfaces and makes the CPU/heatsink combo more like one big solid). The real life analogy here is the fat guy who is always hot versus the skinny chick who is always cold.

Unfortunately, I run 12 rigs at work and the conditions are not perfect of course. We have 3 tons of cooling capacity, but it's an office area built inside of a steel warehouse strip, so the ambient temp surrounding the office is always 80-100F+ in the Summer. Winter (if we actually still have those thanks to the possible "global warming") will be much better for my operations. :)
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  20. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I totally agree. I just personally like AMD better and love how snappy and well try run. But Intel does run cooler and more efficient, at least comparing a 8 core FX to a 2600K.

And that explains your temps :laugh:
  21. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Great work fellow pie eaters. :toast:
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    I disagree.

While Intel chips might use less power they run hotter. Same for Nvidia GPU's.

The max temp tolerence for Intel chips are much higher so yes they are more efficient in that sense, but in the reality of it all, with an AMD CPU and an ATI (AMD) GPU my temps are lower on all rigs on full load. and in the summertime when I'm fullscreen gaming and my 7970 is pumping out at 80 F Nvidia cards are pumping out much more which requires more A/C

95w to 125w? Pfff

I'll buy AMD.
    Daimus says thanks.
  23. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Well in this room which is around 80f (shut the a/c off for the night) this x6 system under full load is hovering right around 47c. I can't tell you what a intel system would be running temp wise. But I also have this system in an old case with only 80mm fans.
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Admittedly, the difference does increase more when they're OCed....still, given that an AMD X8 is only slightly over half the price of an i7, there's a lot of price difference to overcome. Yes, the Intel is faster, but I'm not convinced, at least for dedicated crunchers, that it is worthwhile.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    An Intel system would run way hotter than an AMD system.
    ThE_MaD_ShOt and Daimus say thanks.