• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Heatware Still Needed for B/S/T Section?

Should TPU still require Heatware for the B/S/T section?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I cannot fathom how anyone takes offense from using a free tool as it is advertised, for its intended purpose.

me either I don’t use eBay at all so that makes no sense to me. I also know heatware was a big help when we had known old member’s scamming people. Thankfully no longer with us, but blindly trusting people by post count makes no sense.

even if heatware was 0 it’s still upto the member to decide; I think it is good to have a glimpse into trade history though even if it’s been years. I don’t care about your eBay feedback, Facebook marketplace or Craigslist at all.

heatware was great because I recognized user names from other forums doing trades with you so it was pretty tight knit.

which was the purpose; to protect the tech forums.

I cannot fathom how anyone takes offense from using a free tool as it is advertised, for its intended purpose.
You might be reacting a bit strongly here. I'm not taking offense. I'm just not willing to jump through unneeded extra hoops when the needed hoops for general seller/buyer safely have already been worked out and provided. If Ebay & Paypal consider someone safe to do business with, so should we. And if something does go wrong, the standard(and quite effective) Ebay & Paypal protections apply.

Put another way, Ebay & Paypal both are regulated entities that have to follow laws and regulations. Heatware is not regulated and there are no meaningful assurances that it or anyone using it can be trusted.

I simply don't see any benefit to rolling out a custom integrated reputation system when the one in use has not changed in utility or function. Maybe W1zzard is up for the challenge and can somehow find time to build it up, but it seems like such a massive waste of time.
Agreed. That is not something he needs to devote time to, especially when a working system already exists. But again, I feel the same way about heatware. It's just not needed and is a waste of time. Which is another reason I've never used it.

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
in other words; working as intended.

I simply don't see any benefit to rolling out a custom integrated reputation system when the one in use has not changed in utility or function. Maybe W1zzard is up for the challenge and can somehow find time to build it up, but it seems like such a massive waste of time.
If you want to look at it that way. Sure, it may be beneficial to some capacity, but that also means that it's inconsequential to others so they just avoid using it and not post here on TPU. Always two sides to everything and just thinking that it's doing it's job without seeing the other side isn't helpful to the situation.

I don't think there's any worth for w1zzard to spend time making something similar for TPU and there is nothing wrong with use what's available, but not everyone wants to use it for whatever reasons they see fit. Me, I greatly dislike ebay and I don't use it (I have my reasons), but others probably think I'm crazy and they love ebay and enjoy using it.

If w1zzard were to make it a requirement to link ebay accounts isn't going to be any better over heatware, but at the same time not having it may also be a reason that people avoid selling on TPU. Always two sides, those it benefits and those it doesn't.

With whatever stipulations are put in place for selling on TPU, you're going to alienate some people in the end. Is heatware required to sell on TPU really beneficial to everyone? Maybe, maybe not. But it's not my decision to make, all I can do is offer my opinion. If it stays it doesn't bother me, if it's not a requirement it doesn't bother me.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Indeed eBay has a way better verification system than heatware has like Lex reminded why bank/ paypal setup.
Now eBay links to your bank without paypal fees !

I mean all I had to do is make an HW account and verify it with link to email used done
No other info was asked lol

Only relevant feature at that time was link to eBay or riddit account and the ebay linking is either broken still or has a delay for new accounts.

Forget creating a reddit lol what type of verification does that site do beside basic create account protocol same as HW used or any website like TPU uses.

Point is times change HW is not the only website on the planet.
So if you allow heatware why not eBay is all I'm saying.

That reply was not toward you.
I didn't say I was offended I said if I were the heatware site owner I would of been lol
Pretty wild post you did.
I saw it before you added to it.
Not to be rude or anything, but I don't care how the site owner feels. If the site owner wants to raise hell over the rating system being used for free, he'd charge a subscription fee to use the service, no?

This is how things have operated for the better part of a decade since their marketplace opened. Nothing about this has been a problem for anyone as far as I have seen. From their "About Us" page:

HeatWare is a 100% free site and has helped over 100,000 users in over 700,000 transactions.​

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
So if you allow heatware why not eBay is all I'm saying.

But they arent the same. We arent talking about heatware market place. We are talking (and the forum currently requires) the ledger, not the trade platform.

What benefit is ebay? or craigslist? or FB marketplace? The last time I used ebay you cant leave adhoc feedback on peoples profiles. You have to actually purchase something that was for sale....on ebay.....(we dont allow ebay links as per the rules)

So if I cant leave feedback on ebay because I walked down the street and bought your GPU, then what benefit does ebay provide? What protection? Atleast with heatware you can leave adhoc feedback without using there platform and gain perspective into the kind of trades a user deals in. If there is no feedback that is a flag in itself.

But they arent the same. We arent talking about heatware market place. We are talking (and the forum currently requires) the ledger, not the trade platform.

What benefit is ebay? or craigslist? or FB marketplace? The last time I used ebay you cant leave adhoc feedback on peoples profiles. You have to actually purchase something that was for sale....on ebay.....(we dont allow ebay links as per the rules)
And all of those are the reasons why it's not worth using, which is why it's rarely used. Few care enough to jump through all of those hoops.

So if I cant leave feedback on ebay because I walked down the street and bought your GPU, then what benefit does ebay provide? What protection? Atleast with heatware you can leave adhoc feedback without using there platform and gain perspective into the kind of trades a user deals in. If there is no feedback that is a flag in itself.
If it's a transaction that did not happen through Ebay, why should anyone be allowed to leave feedback on Ebay? However, your point is people being able to leave feedback on personal transactions. But that opens the door for fraud and dishonestly because if two or more people club together and leave each other a bunch of positive feedback to lure others into a false sense of security, the system has broken down without any measure of recourse.

So no, not a great system.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor i5-12600kf @ 5.3 P and 3.9 E (1.28v)
Motherboard MSi Z790 Pro Wifi
Cooling Frost Commander 140
Memory 32gb (4x8gb) 3200
Video Card(s) XFX MERC310 7900 XT (oc'd)
Display(s) NZXT Canvas 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) Jade Audio JT1, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W Gold
Mouse Naga X
Keyboard Akko Fairy Switch
me either I don’t use eBay at all so that makes no sense to me. I also know heatware was a big help when we had known old member’s scamming people. Thankfully no longer with us, but blindly trusting people by post count makes no sense.

even if heatware was 0 it’s still upto the member to decide; I think it is good to have a glimpse into trade history though even if it’s been years. I don’t care about your eBay feedback, Facebook marketplace or Craigslist at all.

heatware was great because I recognized user names from other forums doing trades with you so it was pretty tight knit.

which was the purpose; to protect the tech forums.

I agree with this, also as you scroll Heatware feedback for someone, I noticed since we are a tight knit community across sites, I recognize names I had long forgotten! Then I was like ok, if they have done business with so and so, I feel confident in this, and the deal gets made.

It's more personal, and the trust is greater because of it.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Keyboard G710+x3
You might be reacting a bit strongly here. I'm not taking offense. I'm just not willing to jump through unneeded extra hoops when the needed hoops for general seller/buyer safely have already been worked out and provided. If Ebay & Paypal consider someone safe to do business with, so should we. And if something does go wrong, the standard(and quite effective) Ebay & Paypal protections apply.

Put another way, Ebay & Paypal both are regulated entities that have to follow laws and regulations. Heatware is not regulated and there are no meaningful assurances that it or anyone using it can be trusted.

Agreed. That is not something he needs to devote time to, especially when a working system already exists. But again, I feel the same way about heatware. It's just not needed and is a waste of time. Which is another reason I've never used it.
Hi,
Man that is just so spot on
Heatware all you need to do is create an account and you can say what ever you want to on a seller profile review :eek:
No product advertisement there or transaction made there wow.

No evidence at all that a transaction ever occurred with the new user lol

At least eBay shows post edit history on all adds people create and all correspondences between buyer/ seller or just inquiries
So yeah think what you want about eBay it is far superior than heatware.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
And all of those are the reasons why it's not worth using, which is why it's rarely used. Few care enough to jump through all of those hoops.

If it's a transaction that did not happen through Ebay, why should anyone be allowed to leave feedback on Ebay? However, your point is people being able to leave feedback on personal transactions. But that opens the door for fraud and dishonestly because if two or more people club together and leave each other a bunch of positive feedback to lure others into a false sense of security, the system has broken down without any measure of recourse.

So no, not a great system.

idk heatware seemed to work for everyone else. If you need to sell and buy on ebay then just go do that? Why make a fuss here? or OCN? or any other tech forum? Ebay doesnt offer anything over what the BST section already does.

I guess if we removed the no ebay links rule and heatware we could rename the section spam?

Sorry I might just not be getting it, but this makes no sense.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Memory 32gb (4x8gb) 3200
Mouse Naga X
idk heatware seemed to work for everyone else. If you need to sell and buy on ebay then just go do that? Why make a fuss here? or OCN? or any other tech forum? Ebay doesnt offer anything over what the BST section already does.

I guess if we removed the no ebay links rule and heatware we could rename the section spam?

Sorry I might just not be getting it, but this makes no sense.

Agreed, those of you who want to use ebay just use ebay, and those of you who want to sell here use heatware. I don't think anything needs to change, its working fine, so don't break it please.

Keyboard G710+x3

You just made a case for eBay showing they have far better safeguards for seller and buyers so thank you
The point is heatware is dated and very flawed as you state why.

Craigslist was just an example of a local selling place where cash rules and you get what you get.
On that note heatware could be the same result with totally false reviews.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
You just made a case for eBay showing they have far better safeguards for seller and buyers so thank you
The point is heatware is dated and very flawed as you state why.

Craigslist was just an example of a local selling place where cash rules and you get what you get.
On that note heatware could be the same result with totally false reviews.

I dont see it, but if you want ebay fine, why does it need to be here at TPU though? So you can.....? what? spam your link? what is it your actually trying to solve?

This entire thread reads like someone wanted to post an ebay auction and got mad the forum stopped them. So im curious.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Ebay is the last resort to sell stuff, its just a ripoff. But to buy from anywhere else I need to know you have history of satisfied buyers. Doesn't matter is you haven't sold something in 10 years.

I don't see where Heatware is dead.

Keyboard G710+x3
I dont see it, but if you want ebay fine, why does it need to be here at TPU though? So you can.....? what? spam your link? what is it your actually trying to solve?

This entire thread reads like someone wanted to post an ebay auction and got mad the forum stopped them. So im curious.
I don't do auctions so wrong.

You are really quick to throw accusation at me about spamming eBay
But man if you don't understand the fundamental differences by now you never will.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Ebay is the last resort to sell stuff, its just a ripoff. But to buy from anywhere else I need to know you have history of satisfied buyers. Doesn't matter is you haven't sold something in 10 years.

Agreed, even if by some miracle ebay links were allowed and we somehow tied ebay into the site or god forbid made it a requirement. (RIP mod duties) this offers no benefit to the consumer.

Instead of selling to a tech forum of like minded people, you want to allow ebay links so the people on this forum......have to compete with the rest of the world? What benefit does that give me the buyer?

But man if you don't understand the fundamental differences by now you never will.

No need to get upset, but saying "heatware bad" isnt an argument. You havent sold us any gains. So far......its nothing. I dont see what you benefit in taking it personally. Im challenging your idea. There are like 4 people total id ever do a transaction with on this forum.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Memory 32gb (4x8gb) 3200
Mouse Naga X

as a long time user of several forums, heatware just works for us and doesn't need replaced imo

you can alternatively use heatware, and if someone is interested in buying from you, you can mention in PM here is my ebay too - no need to change the entire system though

Agreed, even if by some miracle ebay links were allowed and we somehow tied ebay into the site or god forbid made it a requirement. (RIP mod duties) this offers no benefit to the consumer.

Instead of selling to a tech forum of like minded people, you want to allow ebay links so the people on this forum......have to compete with the rest of the world? What benefit does that give me the buyer?

not only that, but we give each other good deals here on this site. at least i try to. ebay doesn't care about good deal and helping each other out

If you need to sell and buy on ebay then just go do that?
And I do. TPU's policy of not being allowed to post Ebay links is kind of silly.
Why make a fuss here?
Because I was tagged to this thread and the questions were posed. Open forums and whatnot..
That is an expression more of your bias and less objective impartiality. Ebay is not the wild west. Esty is the same, they have great anti-fraud measures in place. CL, FB Marketplace and others are effectively the wild west of buying and selling.. I lump Heatware in with those.

Agreed, those of you who want to use ebay just use ebay, and those of you who want to sell here use heatware. I don't think anything needs to change, its working fine, so don't break it please.
Ok, but this rule about no Ebay links is silly and always has been.

This is why you don't see me in the B/S/T section. It's not because I don't have stuff to sell, it's because I sell on Ebay/Etsy and ONLY take Paypal, and I'm not willing to spend extra time jumping through the hoops of heatware.

Yeah, that seemed like a personal jab to me too.

Keyboard G710+x3
Hi,
With all this back and forth I closed my heatware account.
It's dated and protections are nonexistent for sellers.

Oops I also spammed the heatware account here to sorry.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
But that opens the door for fraud and dishonestly because if two or more people club together and leave each other a bunch of positive feedback to lure others into a false sense of security, the system has broken down without any measure of recourse.

This is a detailed hypothetical with no supporting evidence of occurrence. This would require quite the cabal to orchestrate given how HeatWare includes timestamps and account information. So you would need accounts with varying sign up dates, different transaction dates, matching accounts on a spread of forums to validate the claim of those trades happening on those forums.

All to setup for one successful scam per account before the scammers are publicly named and shamed by their targets.

Alternatively old eBay seller accounts with high ratings are relatively easy to hack and autofill with fake listings. I report dozens per week myself.

1708639891253.png

Keyboard G710+x3
I dont sell things here I could care less about the BST rules it doesnt affect me.

This might speak to your bias though.
You have strong objections with eBay obviously can we call that your bias ?

I don't see where Heatware is dead.
Yeah guess we can all go to amazon market right.

eBay and amazon are more similar than heatware is.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
You have strong objections with eBay obviously can we call that your bias ?

No its not a bias, I have an ebay account linked to my paypal too. Bias would be disliking it for personal reasons. We could allow it and like in the past when the forum got flooded with scammers and spammers before the BST/ implimentations were put in place, I could perm ban people all day. The work load isnt high so its not a moderation duty either.

Its also not personal, @Fouquin could have posted this thread and I would ask the same questions, and they atleast appear to agree with me on this. If you want change you have to be prepared to defend it.

I am asking, why does TPU needs to stop using heatware, and instead allow ebay links and rely on it for validation, why is that better than the current system, and if things go wrong how much worse is that for TPU, the consumer, or the seller.

So far to me anyway (and there are others reading this thread) it doesnt look substantially better or atleast not enough to warrant the lift.