1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do I clone my old HDD --> new HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by basblplayr, Jul 25, 2007.

1. basblplayr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Seagate 80 gig 7200.7 series old hard drive that had been through about 4 computers during its lifespan. It has seen several OS's and now desperately needs to be replaces as it is running out of room very quickly. So, to rectify the situation I bought an OEM 320 gig Western Digital HDD off of Newegg. It arrived and I promptly installed it...and it wouldn't work. I bought Acronis True Image Home version 10 to clone the disk and it won't complete the task.
    Every time I start a new cloning process it reboots the computer and then proceeds with the cloning. Most of the time it wont even complete the cloning of the partitions before it reboots into windows off of the old drive. I have tried formatting the drive in windows but it is first, insanely slow..4 hours for 3-4 % and it won't even do a complete format; I have never gotten past 10%.
    Are there any suggestions?
    I am running Vista 64-bit (yes, i know, I regret it...damned drivers...) with a very modern setup. Both drives are SATA and I un-overclocked everything to make it super stable and still no results....help? please?
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    First up, I assume you meant 320 gig? Either way it sounds to me like your new drive is a dud. I've had similar problems before (drive won't format) and that was the problem. I say send it back and be glad it failed on you now before you started relying on it. And buy a Samsung next time.
  4. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    you should have purchased Norton Ghost....It runs almost 100% when run via floppy......very easy interface.....if its not rated number 1 it should be,imo...srry about your situation.
  5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Hey wait a minute you have vista....why dont you use the disk back up feature?
  6. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does Norton work with Vista? I heard it doesn't, but have not tried it.
  7. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I would think via floppy would still work as then the menu and every thing is run from floppy to ram to disk the OS is not involved..Now from the OS I think your right.I would web refrence before purchase.
  8. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
  9. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would highly suggest you check if the hard drive is damage or not before you begin dumping files on it.

personally i always test and check on new hard drives i purchase to make sure is not DOA before i start using it.

go to seagate site and download the Seatool for Dos or Window ( i recommend for dos ) they have it for CD version or USB key or floppy which ever you prefer. ( this tool works for all hardrive brand name wont matters WD have their own tool as well but it's sucks)

after you burn a CD or create a floppy of the file you boot it up from the disk and run the long test for your new HD.

as for cloning. i personally flavor acronic over ghost. if your window is installed on the seagate 80gb hard drive and you are trying to clone in the window acronis will prolly reboot you to do the clone. but i would suggest you try to create a boot up disk for acronic and do it in dos mode instead.
  10. balls New Member

Thanks Received:
    What I did with my old system was I installed the new hard drive as the master and the old one as slave and just copied the files over. Worked fine for me.
  11. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    You can always use G4L if you don't feel like buying something new. G4L is Ghost for Linux, however it has nothing to do with Ghost. It can boot from CD.