1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How much will this cost?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Monkey_Business, Apr 4, 2010.

1. I am building a new PC, and recently discovered I might be able to spend close to, or perhaps a tad bit over $2,000 on a new system. I was building AMD to keep the price down, but I might be able to pull of an Intel i7 machine. How much will this cost? Minus the cost of the case, because I already own it.

*Motherboard Foxconn FlamingBlade GTI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

*RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH -

*Drive LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDP118-08

*Power Supply Thermaltake W0319RU 850W ATX 12V 2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

*Graphics Card SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100281VX-2SR Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

*Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

*Processor Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

*Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

*Case Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower Case

2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Looking at the way you listed the items I'm fairly sure you copied and pasted the links off Newegg so I don't see the point of your question. If you wanted prices retail just add everything to your cart and check the total. If you're looking at used I'd say about 15-20% off retail.

My advice to you is get a BluRay drive, swap your dual channel kit for a triple channel kit RAM, a better power supply (I'll recommend one from the Corsair HX line), a low capacity SSD as an OS drive, a better motherboard, and a cheaper end CPU... the 960 is a waste of money really. Try finding a cherry picked 920 on the used market, some clock to 4.2 under 1.3v.

3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    get the i7 920/30 :eek: It Overclocks like a champ... easy 4.2ghz on air

where do you live?

This is definitively not cost 2k lol

you beat me to it Kantastic lol

4. Overclocking can completely destroy your computer if the slightest mistake is made. Not to mention the entire warranty on your PC goes down the drain the very instant you make any changes to the speed in BIOS.

I have absolutely zero overclocking experience. I only a few months ago discovered how to enter the BIOS. I would end up really screwing things up if I attempted to do so. costing Hundreds of dollars to fix.

Overclocking is like trying to move a toothpick through a straw without hitting any of the edges. The slightest mistake can destroy your whole rig, or possibly even cause a fire. I don't have a degree in computer science or electronic engineering.

And overclocking ANY CPU past 3.8 GHz demands water cooling.

5. richjordan255

richjordan255 New Member

Thanks Received:
    completely disagree with everything you have just said, most if not all bios, if you make a mistake during overclock either don't boot and require a simple bios reset (3 seconds thats all it takes), and you do not NEED watercooling, yes it can do a better job, but not alsways, and there are some awesome air coolers out ther, all you have to do is look, as for price go on newegg, and use the shoping cart on there to add up your price

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  6. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    +1 seriously u dont need to com scie or eng try this

7. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking isn't as dangerous as people make it out to be. My first ever system build was an i7 rig and I clocked it to 4GHz in 3 hours. It ran for a few months before I tore it down, sold it, and built a Phenom II rig which I clocked to 3.8GHz right from the beginning.

Both systems I was on air cooling. Actually the i7 rig was cooled by a Corsair H50 which is worse than some of the higher end air solutions, the Phenom II rig was cooled by a TRUE.

I don't know where you heard all this electronic engineering crap from. Even a 16 year old kid like me, who's never built a computer nor overclocked anything before, could clock 2 high end rigs by reading 5 minute tutorials on the internet than so can you.

Oh and as for the warranty issue, again, you're wrong. I won't bother going into detail, I'm sure every member here would love to have that honor. C'mon, this is TechPowerUp, all we do is overclock the living hell out of our systems.

8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    :eek:

Alright...

1. Overclocking is easy as hell nowadays, if you aren't extreme out of your mind, the worst that can happen is you have to clear your CMOS (take out a battery for a bit)... PRACTICALLY NO DANGER!

2. 3.8ghz does NOT need watercooling. If you happen to have a X5677 Xeon, it can OC at 4.8ghz ON AIR!!! an i7 920 can do 4.2 ghz EASILY, at least 4ghz

3. I'm 17, didn't know much about computers until I joined this forum (in 2009), and I overclocked CPUs no problem, and I just built a computer for the 1st time 3 weeks ago

Nowadays, it is IMPOSSIBLE to make your rig catch on fire by OCing xD you could, maybe 10-12 years ago, with a sucky power supply, but you can't now... Besides, you have TPU to help you

A slight mistake cannot kill anything in your computer lol...

It you are building your own PC, OCing will not void your warranty (even though it says so, they can't know you OCed) unless you run your rig so hot that it melts lol

You don't need to know squat about pcs to learn to Overclock

EDIT: beat me again Kantastic :laugh:

9. richjordan255

richjordan255 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol good old google.

In all seriousness, if you need help overclocking all you had to do is ask and not have the attitude you seem to have, and anyone on here would have gladly helped you

10. Is it true that a Phenom II X4 965 BE is only 1/3 as fast as a Core i7 @ stock speeds?

This is off-topic, but what kind of computer could you build for $5,000?

11. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    No need to be rude

For what its worth, you can easily destroy something by overvolting in the BIOS. I can recall at least 1 situation where a novice made a mistake like that which does/can kill hardware.

A lot of what you said isn't exactly accurate MB. You admitted you have no exp in overclocking- def read up some more about it in the future so you can better understand.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. richjordan255

richjordan255 New Member

Thanks Received:
    $5,000 it depends on what you are using the pc for, if you are using it for internet then you spent about $4,500too much

I apologise if i came across as rude, not long got up

13. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I have a degree in C.S. I can tell you no part of it has anything to do with OCing anything.

If you really believe all you just typed, you are clearly severely misinformed.

Overclocking is easy, it gets results, it is safe if you ask/read before you go wild with your settings and if you have decent hardware. Killing a modern system while overclocking it is quite difficult unless you're specifically trying to kill it or going way beyond the red line. 99% of the mistakes you can make will simply result in it no POSTing and require a CMOS reset via a jumper setting. Heck, if you only play with frequencies and do not touch the voltages, you'll still get results (Most chips will give you a nice boost even on stock voltage: My Q9650 does 3.7Ghz on stock volts, for example) and there's no more risk in it for your hardware than there is in powering your system on in the first place.

Overclocking doesn't void the warranty for the simple reason that it is next to impossible to find out you even overclocked something, anyway - Unless you set the voltage to 200% of what they are supposed to be and your CPU bursts into flames or something (Which is also about as likely as getting struck by lightning, too).

I've overclocked dozens of systems over the years, from Pentium 3s with voltage mods to my current i7 975, and I've never killed a piece of hardware I wasn't willing or aiming to kill (Suicide runs are called that for a reason, after all).

Finally, watercooling is not required to clock "ANY CPU" past 3.8Ghz. In fact the need for watercooling has nothing to do with frequencies at all, it has to do with voltages and the type of chip you are running. A frequency increase does not increase the heat output all that much, whereas a voltage increase does. I ran five different chips on air at 3.9Ghz or beyond (E5200, Q9650, i7 920, i7 975 and an older P4), and with a good air cooler there is absolutely no need for anything more to get to the 4Ghz mark today. Heck, I got a friend running his i3 530 at over 4Ghz on an older Scythe Ninja.

14. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Man overvolting has nothing to do with hexadecimals, octals or things like that...

15. richjordan255

richjordan255 New Member

Thanks Received:
    with most bios i have seen its very difficult to completely mess up, worse case scenario he could use google and find one the millions of OC guides out there to ensure he is doingit right and like i said any one on here im sure will gladly help if he asked

16. Indra EMC

Indra EMC

Thanks Received:
    That definitely will breaking your bank:laugh:

Hmm... i guest about $2500 to $3000 depends on where do you live.

17. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    You can build the best for the buck computer only at 1000$
    1TB HDD
    4 GB ram
    Phenom II x2 555 BE
    For the mobo, wait for crosshair IV extreme
    Graphic card 5870 (it is much better than gtx 480, but not in performance)
    PSU 650W 80 plus certified
    Blue-ray driver
    That is all you need to spend... for now, save bucks for the future

18. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    i think it's about 1500-2000US$
    but it's not very optimized..

I recommended these:
    i7 920 D0
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD4P<< Correct this
    3x2GB DDR3-1600 Mushkin/Corsairs
    Radeon 5870
    30GB OCZ SSD
    1TB WD Black
    Corsair HX850
    use a Megahalems / Thors hammer / or even a NH-D14
    HAF 932
    blu-ray drive

those just cost around 1500US$-1750US$

those just my personal preference..

19. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
    My suggestions for you ... with the extra $300 you've got ... either go with a 5970 or crossfire 2 5850s (better option) ... :) .. GL with the build :toast:

EDIT: and get a CPU cooler to OC your 930 .... a Megahalems or a VenomousX would do great ... ;) ... can easily hit 3.8GHz +

[​IMG]

20. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    -$159 he already said he has the case.

21. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
  22. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    get a gulftown!

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    What for ?

24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ill be happy to sell you my rig with warranty for 2k :)

25. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    well for 5000$ limit why not?

Crunching for Team TPU