• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To: Enable SLI on pre-i7/i5 hardware

aXeL_UK

Processor Q9650
Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula X48 S775
Cooling H20
Memory 8Gb Dominator X
Video Card(s) 2x GTX 480 SLI
Storage Various
Display(s) Dell 30", Dell 22" Multitouch, Samsung 24"
Case Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Coolermaster 1250W
use safe mode to boot and uninstall driver

Yup just done that thanks. Now back into Administrator mode and about to re-install 260.99. Then I'll reboot and re-install patch 0.91. After that I'll go back into the previous routine of booting into the Administrator account and then logging out and logging in as my normal user account. Cumbersome but worked flawlessly all week with one exception where I played Evochron Mercenary while still in Administrator mode. The next time I powered up the system - Freeze. Could just be a coincidence but it was the one and only time I broke the routine all week and after the reboot it was fine again.

Yup just done that thanks. Now back into Administrator mode and about to re-install 260.99. Then I'll reboot and re-install patch 0.91. After that I'll go back into the previous routine of booting into the Administrator account and then logging out and logging in as my normal user account. Cumbersome but worked flawlessly all week with one exception where I played Evochron Mercenary while still in Administrator mode. The next time I powered up the system - Freeze. Could just be a coincidence but it was the one and only time I broke the routine all week and after the reboot it was fine again.

what you windows version is?
I sent you PM

K.S.

Processor Core i7 3930K C2 4.4 GHz
Motherboard ASRock X79 Extreme4
Cooling 120mm, 140mm, and 80mm Silent Fans, H80 Liquid.
Memory PNY XLR8 16GB, DDR3-2133
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Storage SATA3: 62GB SSD + 2TB HDD
Display(s) x2 Hanns·G HZ251HPB Black 25"
Case CM 690 II Advanced
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC898, NV HDMI
Power Supply CM SilentProGold 1200W
Software Windows 7 x64, Mountain Lion, Linux
Just wanted to say thanks on the 1.0 final patch, it works great! Running 265.90 in SLI mode. Note: Upon installing 1.0 my system froze on first boot, so I reset the system and tried again, hasn't frozen since, and the 1.0 patch performs best by far (for me at least). Thanks again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Just wanted to say thanks on the 1.0 final patch, it works great! Running 265.90 in SLI mode. Note: Upon installing 1.0 my system froze on first boot, so I reset the system and tried again, hasn't frozen since, and the 1.0 patch performs best by far (for me at least). Thanks again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

how your system froze? and on which step?

buttkick

System Name Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Motherboard Asus P5Q3 Chipset iP45
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) 2x GTX 295
Storage 4xVelocyRaptor RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung P2770
Case Coolermaster Cosmos
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Zalman 1000W
Hi!
I also have problems getting system booted with sli patch 1.0

First try:
Was in SLI Mode with 0.91. Then I updated to 1.0, reboot.
System came up in VGA. I looked into the device Manager and it says 2GTX295 with no Error and the other 2 with the Error "... can not be started...error on starup"
Then I reinstalled 260.99 directly with booted SLI Patch 1.0 - Driver installed, but System froze with black screen when setup starts the drivers. The Cards were powered on (I here that, because the fans go up) but there was no picture.

I booted into save mode and removed all nvidia components.

next try:
Booted into NonSLI and installed 260.99 again. It ran through the setup WITHOUT a try to switch cards on and ask about a reboot at the end. Reboot to SLI. Now the system froze the moment the driver switched cards on, fans go up and black screen. Back to non SLI, picture came up with no errors.

Now I will try some different drivers, but they are all unofficial for GTX295.

Hi!

First try:
System came up in VGA. I looked into the device Manager and it says 2GTX295 with no Error and the other 2 with the Error "... can not be started...error on starup"
Then I reinstalled 260.99 directly with booted SLI Patch 1.0 - Driver installed, but System froze with black screen when setup starts the drivers. The Cards were powered on (I here that, because the fans go up) but there was no picture.

next try:
Booted into NonSLI and installed 260.99 again. It ran through the setup WITHOUT a try to switch cards on and ask about a reboot at the end. Reboot to SLI. Now the system froze the moment the driver switched cards on, fans go up and black screen. Back to non SLI, picture came up with no errors.

do you have problems with 0.91b patch?

aXeL_UK

Processor Q9650
Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula X48 S775
Cooling H20
Memory 8Gb Dominator X
Video Card(s) 2x GTX 480 SLI
Storage Various
Display(s) Dell 30", Dell 22" Multitouch, Samsung 24"
Case Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Coolermaster 1250W
Hi!

First try:

next try:

buttkick, NVidia cards have a quirk where if something kicks them into an 'error state', you sometimes see one/both of the cards reporting an error in Device Manager whereby they cannot start. To reset them, power off the PC and disconnect from the mains for a few seconds. When you switch back on the errors should be cleared and you won't need to reinstall the drivers. This has worked for me so far....

buttkick

Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) 2x GTX 295
Display(s) Samsung P2770
Case Coolermaster Cosmos
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
do you have problems with 0.91b patch?

Hi Anatolymik,

yes, freezing when switching 3D from full to windowed - but only with drivers higher 257.21.
I have no problems booting my system with 0.91 and also no problem with detection of quad/three way sli by the drivers.

Now with patch 1.0 I can´t boot.
If other driver won´t work, I will go back to 0.91/257.21

Hi Anatolymik,

yes, freezing when switching 3D from full to windowed - but only with drivers higher 257.21.
I have no problems booting my system with 0.91 and also no problem with detection of quad/three way sli by the drivers.

Now with patch 1.0 I can´t boot.
If other driver won´t work, I will go back to 0.91/257.21

"freezing when switching 3D from full to windowed" perhaprs it's not slipatch problem
your system freeze at boot time? tell everything
you can't boot with sli at all?
which drivers you use with latest patch?

Last edited:

buttkick

Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) 2x GTX 295
Display(s) Samsung P2770
Case Coolermaster Cosmos
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
"freezing when switching 3D from full to windowed" perhaprs it's not slipatch problem
your system freeze at boot time? tell everything
you can't boot with sli at all?

Hi Anatolymik,

I think my system is someway other then the others, I use 2xGTX295, the driver allows only one card in SLI (MultiGPU) without patching, but your patch allowes me to use full QUAD Sli or ThreeWay SLI.
Everything worked fine until 260.99 came up.

First, please go back a few pages, I told everything about the switch Problem (full to windowed or starting directly in windowed). You answered, that i should reinstall my system - I did twice, with no luck, and posted everything again.

With 257.21 and patch 0.90/091 everything works!
So I think it´s a problem how Nvidia reacts on your patch.

You asked me to wait for your new version.

Now - with this new version - I can not boot with sli patch.
Every driver 260 and above crashes on boot (Display goes black after Win7 Startlogo,system non reactive, can´t even shut down with power switch). The "Black screen" occures directly after Windows activates USB devices - I think its directly at display driver starttime. Only ONE time it started without crash, but with Nvidia Devices in Error (Device Manager Code 43) - This happens when I installed Patch 1.0 the first time. At this time there was 0.91 installed and booted. I updated to Patch 1.0 and rebooted. It came up with Std. VGA and Code 43 in Device Manager.
I started non SLI, but drivers won´t start either, so I had to reinstall the drivers.

I found a new thing about your 1.0 Patch. It does not work with 257.21 on my system, but 0.91 works fine! System boots fine with 1.0 patch, but SLI options are missing in nv control panel, only Physics is available.

I´m now back to 0.91 with 257.21. I only unistalled 1.0 and installed patch 091 again. Now every thing is fine again. SLI+Physics are available, active and Quad SLI is working.

See also my Screenshots.

So, 3 Problems:
- Patch 0.9,0.91beta and Driver >260 - no Windowed Gaming possible (I tried 5 games)
- Patch 1.0final and Driver >260 - Crash while Windows starts Display on Boot (Display stays black)
- Patch 1.0final and Driver =257.21 - No SLI options available

bye and thx for your great work!

Attachments

• nopatch_multigpu.jpg
    nopatch_multigpu.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 455
  • noslioptions.jpg
    noslioptions.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 413
  • allok.jpg
    allok.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 418

buttkick

Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) 2x GTX 295
Display(s) Samsung P2770
Case Coolermaster Cosmos
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
"

Sorry I forgot answering this at my last post:
I tried 257.21 (No more SLI in nv Panel), all others no booting possible: 260.99, 263.00, patched 265.90 (Qattro drivers)

System Name Nexus PC
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 3600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
Cooling Thermalright Macho V2
Memory 24GB DDR3, 1400MHZ CL8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung EVO 960 250gb, EVO 850 250gb, Vertex 3 128gb. 2 TB of Rotational.
Display(s) 1xAsus MX299, 2x Asus MX239, Oculus Rift CV1
Case Sunflower Tower
Audio Device(s) C-Media CMI8738/C3DX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Software Win7 64Bit Ultimate
Last edited:

ThePig

Hi guys :toast:
First my Config:
Win7 Prof. 64
Board: GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H (AMD 790GX)
Graphics: 2x Gainward GeForce GTX 460 GLH

I've tried everything but I receive no sli :confused:

is in the boot menu shown me the sli option so I think that the SLI patch was installed correctly. PCIe is also down from 16x to 8x

Also i tried this method:

1. ) Deleted current drivers in control panel.
2. ) Restarted
3. ) Boot in safe mod
4. ) clean all nvidia sections with driver sweeper.
5. ) rebooted
6. ) installed 260.99 drivers
7. ) restarted
8. ) installed SLIPatch_v1.0_final
9. ) restarted
10 .) and enabled SLI
<---no Sli Option for me

*edit* i have no SLI-Bridge installed, just for info

Last edited:
I am back Anatoly, I gave it my all, I tested every single way I could imagine. I can enable SLi, but its BSOD with just anything or corrupt graphics display and looks like bad VRAM issues. Everything works fine with a single-GPU (both GPUs tested). I have tried with 3 different SLi-bridges, and various PCI-E slots. No dice I am affraid :( It only worked for about the first hour (I had to reboot) and upon reboot I have been unable to get it working. At first I thought it was second GPU (it was under water that leaked) so I RMAed it, but the replacement does the exact same thing (its a different brand new card.)

The BSOD is a STOP 7E code, with the associated nVidia driver the cause.

Anything graphically intense or just Aero is enough to BSOD. I can cause the crash just resizing a notepad (no joke.)

Any suggestions?

Tried SLI-Hack 0.9b, 0.91b, and the new 1.0.

Only drivers tested are the 263.09 Forceware. I will try others and report back later.

Hardware:
ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme
PNY GTX 580s

Hi guys :toast:
First my Config:
Win7 Prof. 64

I've tried everything but I receive no sli :confused:
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9545/slix.jpg

is in the boot menu shown me the sli option so I think that the SLI patch was installed correctly. PCIe is also down from 16x to 8x

2. ) Restarted
3. ) Boot in safe mod
5. ) rebooted
7. ) restarted
9. ) restarted
10 .) and enabled SLI
<---no Sli Option for me

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9463/sli2.jpg

put SLI bridge

I am back Anatoly, I gave it my all, I tested every single way I could imagine. I can enable SLi, but its BSOD with just anything or corrupt graphics display and looks like bad VRAM issues. Everything works fine with a single-GPU (both GPUs tested). I have tried with 3 different SLi-bridges, and various PCI-E slots. No dice I am affraid :( It only worked for about the first hour (I had to reboot) and upon reboot I have been unable to get it working. At first I thought it was second GPU (it was under water that leaked) so I RMAed it, but the replacement does the exact same thing (its a different brand new card.)

The BSOD is a STOP 7E code, with the associated nVidia driver the cause.

Anything graphically intense or just Aero is enough to BSOD. I can cause the crash just resizing a notepad (no joke.)

Any suggestions?

Tried SLI-Hack 0.9b, 0.91b, and the new 1.0.

Only drivers tested are the 263.09 Forceware. I will try others and report back later.

Hardware:
ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme
PNY GTX 580s

try 260.99

mpb

gtx 460 windowed

anatolymik, had to register and give feedback because your work is awesome.

I am running the sli patch and have run into some issues while using 3d applications.

mobo - ASUS p5q turbo
vga - GTX 460 1gb
os - Win7 Pro x64

I was unable to get 260.99 to run stably. Everytime I attempted to boot the screen would go black and stay that way. No safe mode or bios changes helped. Luckily, I imaged my machine right before start the install so I could recover quickly.

I did a fresh install of drivers and am using 258.96 with 1.0 patch. Everything appears to work and I can enable SLI, however if any 3d games or application is not running in fullscreen, my screen will go black same as above. I must hard power down and back up to recover. I have since disabled sli, enabled full screen in all apps, and re-enabled sli. Of interest: I am getting an "out of range error" on my monitor just before the screen goes black, perhaps this could be helpful to you.

I also have a question about verifying sli (beyond the enabled checkbox). My benchmarks don't seem to show much more than a 15-20% increase when running with sli enabled, and my gpu 2 usage never goes above 20% in 3d apps, whereas gpu 1 can be maxed out at times. Is this reporting using MSI Afterburner correct? Is there a possibility SLI is enabled but not being recognized or utilized by a number of my games and benchmarks.

Thanks for the work you do, having sli on this board with a q9450 @4.0ghz is going to be sweet.

ThePig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePig View Post
Hi guys
First my Config:
Win7 Prof. 64

I've tried everything but I receive no sli
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9545/slix.jpg

2. ) Restarted
3. ) Boot in safe mod
5. ) rebooted
7. ) restarted
9. ) restarted
10 .) and enabled SLI <---no Sli Option for me

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9463/sli2.jpg
put SLI bridge

Ok,small Update. Now SLI is Working (without SLI Bridge... X-Mas Holidays -.-)

It Work´s with 258.96 and SLIPatch_v0.9_beta :rockout:
is it normal that either accepts no sli 3dmark06?
I have only %-use on a graphics card not on both (see it with G19 app)

Ok,small Update. Now SLI is Working (without SLI Bridge... X-Mas Holidays -.-)

It Work´s with 258.96 and SLIPatch_v0.9_beta :rockout:
is it normal that either accepts no sli 3dmark06?
I have only %-use on a graphics card not on both (see it with G19 app)

try 260.99 drivers please

anatolymik, had to register and give feedback because your work is awesome.

I am running the sli patch and have run into some issues while using 3d applications.

mobo - ASUS p5q turbo
vga - GTX 460 1gb
os - Win7 Pro x64

I was unable to get 260.99 to run stably. Everytime I attempted to boot the screen would go black and stay that way. No safe mode or bios changes helped. Luckily, I imaged my machine right before start the install so I could recover quickly.

I did a fresh install of drivers and am using 258.96 with 1.0 patch. Everything appears to work and I can enable SLI, however if any 3d games or application is not running in fullscreen, my screen will go black same as above. I must hard power down and back up to recover. I have since disabled sli, enabled full screen in all apps, and re-enabled sli. Of interest: I am getting an "out of range error" on my monitor just before the screen goes black, perhaps this could be helpful to you.

I also have a question about verifying sli (beyond the enabled checkbox). My benchmarks don't seem to show much more than a 15-20% increase when running with sli enabled, and my gpu 2 usage never goes above 20% in 3d apps, whereas gpu 1 can be maxed out at times. Is this reporting using MSI Afterburner correct? Is there a possibility SLI is enabled but not being recognized or utilized by a number of my games and benchmarks.

Thanks for the work you do, having sli on this board with a q9450 @4.0ghz is going to be sweet.

try 258.96 drivers + 0.91b patch

mpb

works

did the uninstall of drivers and patch, with a driver sweep.
fresh install of 258.96 with 0.91b, windowed mode working in all 3d apps and ~70% increase in benchmark numbers, definitely works. i will stick with this for now until the patch is stable for 260.xx driver iterations.

thanks anatolymik.

Lethalrise750

System Name Dark Knight
Processor Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.8GHz 1.37v
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Push/Pull
Memory DDR3-1600 G.Skill
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 460 HAWK Talon 1G + Asus DirectCU GTX 460 1G
Storage Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 120GB SSD
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Wanted to say thanks for the patch! It works wonders but I don't think my GTX 460s like 265.90 lol