1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I am starting to get second thoughts...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by kciaccio, Dec 20, 2011.

1. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like I get $50 off a motherboard if I buy the 2600k. Looks like that's the way to go.

Still on the fence on the HDD selection. Part of me wants to just get a 120 GB SSD and add a large HDD when prices come down. Part of me wants to get a small ssd and large HDD now and use SRT.

I am leaning towards the i7 2600k and P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard or P8P67 Deluxe R3 LGA 1155 P67 ATX.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that way you're essentially only paying $50 extra over the 2500K instead of $100.
    If you can deal without a lot of storage, then just get the SSD for now. HDD prices are crap anyways at the moment.
    Probably not. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the storage controllers, but I think the P67 might not have SRT? The main reason I wanted Z68 was so I could use the iGPU for HDMI audio to my receiver and allow my discrete GPU to downclock at idle (they stay at 3D clocks if you have more than one "display" connected), but still have all the overclocking options too. Lucid Virtu is an interesting technology too, but I'm not actually using it.
    kciaccio says thanks.
  3. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't need a lot of storage because I have a 12 TB unraid server that I store all my media on.

The only time I get tied up with storage on is when I am dealing with bluray movies before sending them to storage on the unraid server.

I probably could just send them directly to the unraid server and modify the file from there.

I am not much of a gamer so storing games is not a problem. Maybe I will have Lost Planet 2 on the SSD.
  4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    He clearly stated in his first post he doesn't do alot of gaming but does do alot of encoding. so a 2600K is ideal for his usage. I dunno why you guys keep trying to steer him towards a 2500K. He will make use of the multi-threading a 2600K will offer.
  5. R_1

Thanks Received:
    P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 looks like a great mobo, but I don't see any HDMI or DVI/D-sub connectors on it. So only QuickSync support from Virtu drivers and I am not quite sure of it either. Dual Gigabit LAN is great though, especially Intel LAN controller.
  6. pcpower&cooling New Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel will give you more gaming performance.

The 2600K is better for gaming and apps that rely more on performance per cycle rather than multitasking. So I suggest buying the AMD kit since you said you don't do a lot of gaming. Also an SSD will greatly benefit you so if you could try and work that in to your budget you will not regret it.
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You would buy a Fatal1ty product and in the post before you said someone is falling for marketing? Intriguing.

Let me introduce myself. I'm TheMailman.
    _JP_, Darkleoco, Damn_Smooth and 2 others say thanks.
  8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I must agree with mail man and others including tatty (the mod) when I say that reading your posts (John Doe) that contain argumentative remarks with other members just because they do not see the same views as yourself, is very disheartening. I see how you like to prove points but starting flame wars with other members is not how its done. This is the internet and not a place were you can show yourself as a self proclaimed know it all on technology. You must realize that everyone is an internet tough guy and wants to be the best but remember there is nice world outside with fresh air and sunshine :)
    _JP_, Darkleoco and Damn_Smooth say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:

Is there any performance benefit to not having on-board video if I always plan on using a graphics card?

I have been looking only at non on-board video MB's.
  10. R_1

Thanks Received:
    Well, there is some iGPU war going on between AMD and Intel. LLano is molesting right now SB integrated GPU, so Intel is going to double it's performance in IvyBridge. That takes significant silicon real estate, but adds enormous computing power to the heterogeneous CPU+GPGPU cluster. If it is not supported by the motherboard all that power is gone. When you don't plan to use mobo's integrated GPU connectors, then look for Lucid Virtu support in mobo specifications. If it is there , then you can still use GPGPU functionality of SB for video transcoding (QuickSync).
  11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Personally, with only just scanning though this thread, I recommend a socket 2011 3930k system and would suggest looking at the Asrock Extreme3 board currently listed for $214 on newegg. With you doing alot of encoding, you would benefit from the 6 core SB-e cpu.

If that's too expensive, then I'd recommend the same CPU/MB combo I have in my system specs. Board costs about $100 and the CPU alittle over $300. Get a aftermarket heatsink if you think you'll do any OC'ing. The Gigabyte board comes with easytune6 which is a CPU OC'ing program that can take a 2600k to 4.2ghz with a simple click.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. johnnyd New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't login to my account right now but here it goes, do your research. That board I suggested is one of the best of Sandy, which is why I recommended it. Not because it has the head of that guy in BIOS.

And I very well know who you are. I've been reading here straight for the past years. You're the community troll that gets thrown across.

Then you should re-read those arguements, and why I called those people AMD fanboys (in obvious cases). Get real.
  13. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    @kciaccio

Although i will admit I didn't read through your thread, just a quick scan. Pickup a new psu, a 2nd 5750, a nice 890fx, a 2x2GB ddr3 kit and be merry. About your regards by using onboard, it helps if you ever have to RMA any video cards. You won't have to suffer downtime.
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh so you have two accounts? Thats very nice to know. :toast:
  15. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Well then, Reported! Making two accounts is against the rules also treating people such as you do is as well. Already seen one mod tired of your antics so hopefully other see this as well!
    Darkleoco, Damn_Smooth and INSTG8R say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. johnnyd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I know that. GJ and thanks for your idiotic response when I already said that I can not login to my account. Changed my pass to something I can't remember, and the e-mail wasn't to mine so can't send a confirmation mail.
  17. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    On topic or move along, way to derail the thread guys. In the future, make your reports and move on, the point of that system isn't to report things then take matters into your own hands. First and only warning.
  18. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, I will keep that in mind, but I am giving my rig to my son and daddy is getting this new rig. :rockout:
  19. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Just get a nice SSD then.
    You're right, I glossed over that. 2600K is the way to go then.
    I don't think there is any performance difference either way. The iGPU is part of the CPU, so you have it there regardless of whether or not the board has ports to make use of it. Usually you can turn it off in BIOS/UEFI anyways if you don't want it.
  20. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Are you interested in overclocking? Does it matter alot to you if not being able to on the new rig?

My build:
    i5 2x00 non-k
    Intel H6x board
    Fastest 2x4GB kit you can get

or

Overclocking builds:
    AMD unlocked Llano
    Nice A75 mobo
    1866 dram or faster

P67 or a Z68 if not much more
    2133 dram

Leaving the rest of the budget to a nice video card and minimum 550W power supply.
  21. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:

I already bought a NZXT 750 hale PSU [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    and Power color HD6870 2GB card. [​IMG]

Overclocking does matter. I want to be at least 4GHZ.
  22. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Space a concern? Does it need to be in a mATX mini or midtower?
  23. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    silverstone Raven 2 [​IMG]

so atx is no problem.
  24. sighnbox New Member

Thanks Received:
    I’m just about to have a new comp built I don’t do gaming at all but do general computing, listen to music on it and do a lot of making DVDs and photo editing I use Pinnacle 12 ultimate for vid and Coral Paintshop Pro x3 for pictures. I do NOT over clock my computers as I don’t know what I'm doing but may use the programme that comes with the board to boost it.

I do like a nice comp even tho don’t really use what it can do.........My current system is

Asus P5E3 Board REV 1
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit & windows XP 32 bit in swop caddies
    2 x Western digital Caviar black 1TB each two for OS systems other for storage (sata 3Gb) in hot swop caddies
    CoolerMaster silent Pro 850 Power supply
    4 Gig Corsair DDR3 XMS 1300MHz RAM
    2 x LG Blue Ray burners/ Optical drives
    Sapphire Radeon x1600 pro 512mb Graphics card (old just followed me up computers lol)
    Monitor is Iiyama ProLite B2409HDS
    Case - Aspire X-Cruise
    Silent knight AL CPU cooler

And I'm hoping for/to
    Use my old power supply as it’s quite new

Ill use both my old optical drives as well
    And use my old monitor but may add a second one

Use 2 of the Western dig 1TB HDD for storage (photos music, vids etc) will stick with 3Gbs rather than new 6Gbs as have them all ready but will upgrade when HDD come back down in price

A new 120 Solid state drive (Kingston Hyper) For OS and all my programmes windows 7 premium (32 or 64 but not sure yet)

Intel i7 2600K 3.40GHz
    Nvidia GTX 570HD (just one)
    Corsair vengeance 1800MHz DDR3 RAM will go 8 or 16 Gig
    Case coolermaster cosmos 1000 V2 Black edition
    So which M board would you recommend Asus Z68 or P67 and do I go the best the deluxe versions I really would appreciate your help as the more I read the more confused I’m getting about it all

Thanks very much Paul
  25. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    A new 120 Solid state drive (Kingston Hyper) For OS and all my programmes windows 7 premium (32 or 64 but not sure yet)

Thanks very much Paul[/QUOTE]

I actually went with the drive you are choosing and it is wicked fast. HD tune shows killer numbers for me. A lot better than ones I have installed for friends.

I also have that CPU you are choosing and it is Awesome. Hyper threading is the bomb. It is super easy to overclock this chip. The new motherboards with UEFI bios now a days make it feel like you are software overclocking.

This CPU will OC to 4.5 without breaking a sweat and it is easy as putting the number 45 in a box named "by all cores" on an Asus board.

I choose a Z68 board for it just being the latest and greatest but a P67 would have done just fine and maybe a little less buggy because it is more established than Z68.

I have done encoding with the stock chip stock speed and then at the OC speed. Encoding a DVD takes about 10 minutes less at the OC speed so it is worth doing.

:rockout: