1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Identify old graphics card from images.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by 4482, Aug 7, 2014.

1. 4482 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Could anyone identify this graphics card from it's images I posted down. The gpu is rv350/radeon 9550 (old I know). I found this one in an old stuff sale and I wanted to have it. But when I installed it in the pc I discovered that it's bios was modded, and I'm not sure whether it has 128 or 256 MB ram. It's a nice overclocker though.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks.

P.S. I have posted this question on another forum, I hope no one finds this offensive. The thing is the card is old, and I thought I needed to reach the widest range of contributors possible.

2. warup89

warup89

Thanks Received:
    Either its my work PC or the images cant be resized to original size in order for me to investigate. But most likely its the 256mb version due to the number of DRAM chips it has.

-Ps:
    Post wherever you can get help buddy, we are here to help too.

3. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Welcome to TPU

Download and install GPU-Z and post a screenshot

Use the SKU & #Hash Numbers printed on the revers of the PCB; input these on the www

dump vbios image at DOS prompt & use vbios editor to inspect the VRAM layout

Note: if really require this vga card to be identified upload HIGH RES pictures - {at the moa it just looks like one of those dumb competitions}

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. arbiter

Thanks Received:
    Need larger pictures, to hard to tell what they are from that size.

problem with GPU-z if bios was modified it could been done to give false info on the card.

IF RV350 is markings on card/gpu its self then its 9550 or 9600 as for ram hard to say

5. 4482 New Member

Thanks Received:
    "
    -Ps:
    Post wherever you can get help buddy, we are here to help too.
    "
    Thanks warup89, this is what I expect from the good ppl.

"Either its my work PC or the images cant be resized to original size in order for me to investigate"

You can right click on the picture and click view image, the image will show in the same window by itself without the web page, then you can press ctrl and + at the same time to enlarge, and investigate as much as you like. The resolution isn't promising though.

"most likely its the 256mb version due to the number of DRAM chips it has."

I suspect so also, this is why I posted this question. But when I use rovclock (I'm a linux guy), it reposrts 128MB, and of course both core and mem are OCed.

"
    Download and install GPU-Z and post a screenshot

Use the SKU & #Hash Numbers printed on the revers of the PCB; input these on the www

dump vbios image at DOS prompt & use vbios editor to inspect the VRAM layout
    "
    I used a command in linux, lshw and it showed this data

description: VGA compatible controller
    product: RV350 [Radeon 9550]
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
    version: 00
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: agp agp-3.0 pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=radeon latency=32 mingnt=8
    resources: irq:16 memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:9800(size=256) memory:ff0f0000-ff0fffff memory:ff0c0000-ff0dffff

I'm not sure what (size=256) really mean.

6. arbiter

Thanks Received:
    he said it was "256mb" based on number of ram chips but you can't see the chips cause what looks like heat spreader over them.

7. 4482 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I cannot see a quote button in the editor.

Edit: found it, my bad.

"he said it was "256mb" based on number of ram chips but you can't see the chips cause what looks like heat spreader over them."

I'm not trying to argue, the program reported (size=256) it didn't report a unit, we have to make sure. And of course I would be happy if it's 256MB ram in comparison to 128MB ram. What is covering the ram chips are indeed heat spreaders.

But another question rises as it seems the former owner of the card was a hardcore overclocker, why did he/she (although I think it's a he, no offense for the girls) moded the bios to report 128MB ram? moreover, does this affect the real accessible ram space for the system?

Oh, by the way, I removed the core's heat sink, and it is 9550 not 9600.

8. 4482 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since my last post things has been rather quiet, I hope I didn't write something wrong.

9. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

"write something wrong"; not really, (just did not come back with information required by TPU members to identify the vga card in question)

information not supplied; as follows,[*if require more assistance]
    -Manufactures Name
    -High res pictures
    and or
    -SKU & #Hash Numbers printed on the -{revers / back}- of the PCB [these numbers will identify the vga card]

Note: looked for the vga card on the www and could not find one that had heat sinks front and revers of the PCB

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  10. 4482 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pardon me for disappearing the last couple of days. I managed to get really really hd pictures of the card front and back, hope these are good enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Law-II, if I had the information you're asking for, why on Gods earth would I post a question at all? :rolleyes:

Law-II says thanks.
  11. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

I am wondering the same thing ;)

Question in the OP
    Answer
    128MB resized.jpg
    Model: ATI 9550 AGP8X 128MB TV-OUT DVI (rebadged OEM for medical centre)
    Part Number: AA-95500XTD11
    Source here

atb

Law-II

GreiverBlade says thanks.
  12. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Do software probes only read the BIOS information? Are they unable to actually test the RAM specs of the card when it's plugged in?