• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's Raja Koduri Refutes Rumors About Company Cancelling Arc Graphics

Low quality post by Dragokar
System Name Homebase
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S UD
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 RGB
Memory 2*16 Kingston Fury DDR4-3600 double ranked
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 16 GB
Storage 1*512 WD Red SN700, 1*2TB Curcial P5, 1*2TB Sandisk Plus (TLC), 1*14TB Toshiba MG
Display(s) Philips E-line 275E1S
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Power Supply Corsair RM850 2019
Mouse Sharkoon Sharkforce Pro
Keyboard Fujitsu KB955
Low quality post by lexluthermiester
Whatever you say, man.
Oh ,no, it's not what I say, it's called common sense and good business tactics, something many here seems to have no grasp of.
No, I don't, and neither does anybody else on the forum.
Ask me I care(hint, no).
Personal attacks and name calling only make you look unhinged
Oh? What personal attack?
and childish.
Well it would seem I'm in good company then, wouldn't YOU say so? Hmmmmm?
If you want to call people out for being ridiculous it's a good idea to make sure you don't look ridiculous first.
Irony, far out..

I'm surprised the mods continue to put up with your inflammatory behavior.
Unlike your opinions, I'm not attacking anyone personally. I'm attacking a specific mentality and school of thought. If you are taking that personally, YOU have the problem. See to that.

You are pretty sure about your guessing, but that is fine for me.
It's not a guess.

System Name Home
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asrock Taichi x370
Cooling Thermalright True Spirit 140
Memory Patriot 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 10gb
Storage Too many to count
Display(s) U2518D+u2417h
Case Chieftec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply seasonic prime 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
If Intel reads this, most people don't need the absolute best, a well priced midrange GPU that plays most games is good enough.

Low quality post by GunShot
That is not only a silly notion but makes no sense considering that Intel has already started ramping up stock production.

We have absolutely no way of knowing what's the production run.

We can buy Intel A380 for couple of months now. Only in China, though, and even there it's not widely available. And reviews aren't favourable.

Graphics card sales have plummeted. No cryptomaniacs, and gamers aren't jumping on slightly discounted cards from 2020, when the new generation is coming right now. Where they even are discounted, in Europe prices are still above MSRP mainly. And, of course, recession is looming.

And Intel is competing in low and mid 2020 range. Even if it will be available only in late 2022, early 2023. So, a range nobody's buying any more.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Completely.

You're missing some context. Opinions based on flawed perceptions of fact does not make for factual information. It's called spin and only knuckle-draggers and tree-swinging poo-flingers will buy it..

ok so for some reason you have the correct perception of facts? what makes you think that and can you support those claims?
Because a simple google supported the march claim where intel was on track with Optane development and was even talking about the next version sooo that checks out.
And intel cutting parts of their business was an article on this very website, you can probably find if if you just scroll down.

So go ahead then, make your case.

Low quality post by lexluthermiester
I feel split between two grade-A types of bullshit.
  1. On the one side, MLID and TweakTown saying they have insiders talking about late night meetings and cancelling "discrete" Arc (meaning no gaming cards, just DC)
  2. On the other side, we have Raja, who (to me) is a notorious word-mincer, who once again is feeding us half-truths.

Well it's not like they haven't done this just in the past decade ~

1) They spent upwards of ~10 billion dollars on mobile SoC's & then bailed on with literally billions in losses.
2) SSD's yup they bailed on that as well.
3) Optane, which isn't SSD but still a major loss (for the industry) :shadedshu:
5) G modem ~ remember that, me neither :laugh:

For anyone thinking Intel wouldn't abandon a project after sinking billions in there either doesn't know their past or is just too ignorant to see the (possible) future!
I probably could find a few others but why bother :ohwell:

Is it just me or is it slightly odd that Raja is using past tense rather than present tense in his statement: 'we are still in first gen and yes we had more obstacles than planned to overcome, but we persisted". They are still in first gen, but they persisted rather than persist, which either implies that all the issues are resolved (no evidence of that found) or they no longer persist, but did in the past. Just the way he worded his response seems like he is hedging, he could have easily flat out said 'no the rumours are false', but instead went straight to the motive behind them which is a rather politician thing to do when you are evading a question.

It's above his pay grade, he can't refute things which he doesn't have 100% control over. It's probably a hot topic Inside Intel™ right now!

aQi

Nope Nope Nope

If i were intel, i would never quit at this stage.

I do believe they may cancel discrete graphics if they feel it won't make money.

Alchemist can't beat a 3070/6700XT, and now will have to deal with 2nd hand market as well. Max sales price $350
Battlemage could double the performance and it still will not beat mid range 7600XT/4060 next gen cards. Max sales price will again be $350
Celestial gets to compete with 8000 series and 5000 series from AMD and Nvidia respectively. I don't think the scenario will change.

Intel completely missed the target by a good 2 years and now will be catching up to the mid range for the next 6 years of product cycles. It does not look good from an investor perspective, and the investors and shareholders are the only people that matter in the end.

This doesn't mean Arc is gone completely, I do think Intel will still find a market in notebooks.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
You’re right. They won’t pull out after spending millions. They will pull out after spending billions! Just look at Itanium. But at least Itanium had a good run for awhile. Not so sure about these GPUs.
Arc Alchemist is basically ready. It would be a mistake not to release it and earn back at least a fraction of their investments.

I feel split between two grade-A types of bullshit.
  1. On the one side, MLID and TweakTown saying they have insiders talking about late night meetings and cancelling "discrete" Arc (meaning no gaming cards, just DC)
  2. On the other side, we have Raja, who (to me) is a notorious word-mincer, who once again is feeding us half-truths.
You know, this sad practice that some writers try to use their platform to destroy a company e.g. the ill writers over there at WCCFTech (Chris, Nathan, etc.), that they all HATES Acti/Blizz so much that they've TOTALLY lost all integrity for its site and they have been pushing a smear campaign against Acti/Blizz since early 1H21 on EVERY Acti/Blizz headline.

I mean... I'm definitely no Acti/Blizz fan but what these fellas do over there at WCCF, etc., and there are even worst publishers out there that WCCF just look over and/or PRAISE that pubs that has the same rumours/scandals as AB, just shows us that, it is NOT about what is "right & balanced" but... what it is about is... THEM and THEIR AGENDA!

Last edited:
I see the sunk cost fallacy is alive and kicking.
At some point it would be cheaper to just let it go and move on. Then again intel have money to burn for office building heating, so not sure what are going on over there.

At some point it would be cheaper to just let it go and move on. Then again intel have money to burn for office building heating, so not sure what are going on over there.
That is probably what is going to happen - ARC will move into the data center for machine learning, and that will be that.

From reading the financials over the past few years, intel is not doing as well as they should be, hence the exiting of money losing projects.

As they say, die with the lie...

I'm not into the "it will be cancelled" bandwagon but it's hard to deny things aren't going well and with the amount of times this is being mentioned it just seems more and more likely for there to be some truth to it - latest one i think is that consumer discrete will be dumped and only integrated and server continue. That seems dumb but might be the way forward for at least a couple generations until everything (like cpu and manufacturing) gets their footing.

I worked for a company that also categorically denied it was shutting down and said such rumours were a disgrace. 1 month later the company shutdown permanently and the last 40 surviving employees from a once 300 workforce were given their marching orders. These denials are a dime a dozen and 90% of the time they are a sure sign Alchemist in in deep crap. They might as well try to get Battlemage out long before RDNA4 and Lovelace's successor ship.

I worked for a company that also categorically denied it was shutting down and said such rumours were a disgrace. 1 month later the company shutdown permanently and the last 40 surviving employees from a once 300 workforce were given their marching orders. These denials are a dime a dozen and 90% of the time they are a sure sign Alchemist in in deep crap. They might as well try to get Battlemage out long before RDNA4 and Lovelace's successor ship.
Logic is sound. IF they had something to brag about, they would have bragged about it yet. We've seen far less significant things blown out of proportion by marketing teams.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I see the logic in what you're saying. Sometimes company leaders want everybody to stay calm on board the sinking ship. I'm still on a "wait and see" approach.

Alchemist is pretty much complete, and the development of Battlemage is already underway. Intel (as well as AMD and Nvidia) plan for multiple generations ahead. Shutting down Arc would mean shutting down the work of multiple R&D teams. After so much money spent, I don't think it'd be worth it. People always come up with the Itanium example, but let's not forget that it involved finished products. Seeing that your investment isn't returning enough profit, and cancelling it before seeing if it actually returns any are two different things. One is a nunsuccessful business venture with net loss, the other is just money down the toilet.

Processor I7-6900K @ 4.2ghz 8c/4.3ghz 2c
Motherboard GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 3200 15-17-17-34
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 12GB FTW3 Ultra Hybrid
Storage 1TB P31 NVMe and 2x 1TB S31 SATA
Display(s) CU34G2X and Ea244wmi
Case 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X4
Power Supply SuperNOVA 850 G+
Mouse G502 HERO/G700s
Keyboard Ducky Shine
Intel very much doesn't need to deliver high end performance, just a good value. Current "budget" prices for nvidia are absurd still and there won't be budget 4xxx any time soon. AMD is doing better here, but I think that's a place Intel could very well compete in since while AMD's drivers are pretty solid now they still hold that stigma so people may be willing to take a chance on Intel if the price is right. I think the biggest problem facing the first generation is actually the required ReBar support as this kills Arc as an inexpensive upgrade for older systems.

It's entirely possible that Intel will kill off the consumer GPU division, but given that they're going to be making future architectures for HPC and IGP it doesn't really make a lot of sense unless they're losing money from specifically the desktop card market. I think it'll mostly come down to the driver situation and how much time/money the software side is going to cost them along the way.

For those citing Optane as precident that's a pretty weak one: they sold off their half of the only fab that made it, then Micron stopped making it and sold the fab entirely. Intel never spun up a fab for production and Gelsinger isn't a fan of memory type products (dumb chips) so the writing was on the wall it was only a matter of time. Now I very much think it's a huge loss for everyone since further R&D might have gotten prices down close enough to NAND for consumers and more businesses to justify the premium (even 2x the cost may have worked, but P5800x is about 6-7x the cost of similar sized enterprise NAND).