1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

is a mouse padded really needed??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darkgundam111, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was just reading up on mouse pads a bit and i notice that alot of ppl say its not necessary to have a speical or nice mouse pad, just any cheap regular pad works. But I noticed that alot of these cheap mouse pads i have have this black gunk on it over time, and I hate it. Was wondering what kinda pads don't have this or have less of this. I saw that overhead transparencies are good, anyone try that before? perhaps a fabric type mouse pad?

2. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    If ya using a Lazer mouse then no you don't realy need a mouse pad, they work on just about any surface. (Well mine does anyway) But if you use an old Optical mouse then a good mouse pad helps big time.

i use the ZP1000 from Zalman, great pad for an Optical mouse.

3. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use my MX518 straight on my wood desk. I do like having a big mouse pad though, gives your wrist a little cushion.

4. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see. I use a laser mouse (will be, getting a G9), but is there a way to like not get those black gunky stuff?

5. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    I have my x6 working for 2 years on a wooden desk and it works fine, I frag like a god ;) I find it better without a mouse pad, no hassle, pad moving etc. Anyways, a mouse pad is nice too. Its down to you really, if you are used to it or not.

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    most of the people here who dont use pads, are comparing against cloth pads.

I find cloth pads to be about as useful as male tampons, and only use hard plastic pads (func 1030 and 1030 archetype for me).

Proper pads have better tracking, less friction, less wear on mice feet - and you dont have to worry about going to a LAN event or the like, and having your mouse not work on the surface provided.

7. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    I lol'd at that!

Yeah I'ved used a proper pad, sure they have done a lot of progress, some are really good! :laugh: But like I said, its down to you really, if you like em or not, I know I'm better without, but that's just me. :toast:

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I hate all hard mouse pads. I only like the cloth ones. Better tracking and less wear on mouse feet means little if you are uncomfortable.

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    have a look at the 1030 archetype, it actually has a curved bottom so your wrist has somewhere to sit.

more or less, its just people buying shit pads from crappy brands. i dont care about yoru razer exactmat, or your thermaltake piece of junk - buy REAL pads, and you'll find the experience blissful

10. arroyo

arroyo

Thanks Received:
    Using PAD makes sense when you are using ball-mouse. For most of optical mouses the pad is not necessary.

11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    It's not padded. I should've been more specific. I like only padded cloth pads. I could deal with a surface that isn't cloth, as long as it's soft and flexible. The base must be padded tho. No exceptions.

12. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yea i use a cheapo allsop pad with a nice wrist rest its not great but it dosent move and provides nice support for my wrist which is nice when im doing 3d work or gaming for long periods but the pad isnt needed but my desk isnt flat its how should we say custome made :roll: so the pad is much needed in my case

13. jagjitnatt New Member

Thanks Received:
    a pad is not necessary for optical or laser mouse. People only use it for comfort. Also the surface below mouse needs to be opaque and smooth. a mouse pad helps achieve that. other than that, its really not necessary.

14. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I still find a Optical mouse still needs some kind of pad, unless its a very smooth surface that has no shine to it, and or indents, because i have found a very shiny surface can cause the optical mouse to jump all over the place and same with tiny indents.

But otherwise i agree.

15. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    I use a Sharkoon cloth mat because the way I hold my mouse, my little finger rests on it. (I use high sensitivity so I hardly move my mouse). Also it helps my mouse glide far better than it does on my desk, keeping the pads on my mouse smooth and clean.

16. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow tons of info here. well once i get my g9 mouse i will test out the cloth and the wooden desk and see how things go i guess. the plastic ones that i get from like random companies suck lol. I guess if none of those work i'll look into a good gaming mouse pad, speaking of which, whats a cheap one thats good? XD

17. patheticcockroach New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not cheap but I love the Everglide Titan. A pity they're becoming hard to find where I live :(
    I tried Func too. They feel much greater at the beginning (most slippery mouse pad I've ever seen), but wear out quickly (and then they're not sliperry at all). The Everglide Titan is less slipery, but keeps its properties even after 2-3 years of heavy use. I currently have 2 Func and 2 Everglide Titan (+ some low quality cheap pads). Whenever I get on a PC with a Func, I swap the pad with a Titan from another PC first :D Or if I can't, I swap with one of the cheap pads, it feels still better than a worn out Func IMO.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the latest funcs last longer - my 1030 archetype has lasted maybe 5 years, and only one side has worn out.

19. patheticcockroach New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mine are fUnc sUrface 1030 bought in june 2005 and march 2006. They've been worn out for a while now, maybe 2 years. Only one side, but that's because I don't like the rough side so almost never used it. Too bad I can't find the date when I bought my Titans :(

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    when i wore one side out, i swapped to the other.

I didnt like the rough side either, but after a few months it wore down to the level of the smooth side

21. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    The general misconception is that laser mice do not require a mouse pad. Most of the mice being produced today be it with either Agilent or Phillips Twin-Eye sensors perform quite a bit better on a homogenous surface like a mouse mat and to some extent some that have a nice uniform surface.

Both tracking and lift off distance tends to improve with a proper mat. Whether this is important to you is a matter of personal preferrence, some gamers will not feel the benefits because they either play a game where precision is not that important or because they have a mouse setup that tolerates inferior acceleration interpretation and genenral tracking to some extent.

Funny thing is though that some Phillips Twin-Eye based mice do not work on some very fine wowen soft mats in particular colors, if I remember correctly white and gray were problematic (which is particularly funny since the laser inferometer technology is touted as being less affected by surface color than normal laser sensors).

No tracking technology is perfect so if you basically provide your sensor with a decent uniform surface you have helped it a long way.

patheticcockroach says thanks.
  22. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer a mat as it tends to be quieter than using the mouse direct on the desk. My mat is a cheap freebie I got from the police at a Bikesafe meet, LOL. Its not bad at all really, its got a smooth hard rubber feel which gives a slight friction which I find helpful for fine control. As long as I avoid the cigarette burn in the bottom left corner its fine....

23. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My mat is my table, it has never failed me and because of that I still havent convinced myself that I need an upgrade.

24. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    lol i just enjoy the wrist rest it helps alot with keeping the regular carpal tunnel issues at bay

25. Benno New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use a mousepad with my laser mouse, but the only reason
    I do is because the noise the mouse makes moving around the wooden desk really got on my nerves lol. It's only a cheap mousepad that I got with my Dell computer but it does the job. I haven't noticed any perormance differences between using the pad or not using it, so it came down to whether I wanted the noise or not. And no I did not :p