1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is DLC reducing the value of new game purchases?

Discussion in 'Games' started by qubit, May 30, 2011.

?

Is DLC a rippoff? (public vote)

Poll closed Jun 13, 2011.
  1. Yes

53.5%
  2. No

8.5%
  3. It's not black and white

36.6%
  4. I don't know

1.4%
  1. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    it is semantics dude. do you think most people picked up boxed copies
    of BC2:Vietnam? or, insert title for expansion here? no.

The only definite difference is the amount of content, it will always be less
    than in an expansion pack. quality however, depends on the dev.

and i also highly disagree with b&m stores separating crap games from not.
    what goes on their shelves is what they get paid the most to put up there,
    not what offers the best experience. they could care less if it's wheat or
    chaff, as long as it makes the money.

and by your reasoning, all xbl and psn games are crap too, since they are
    only available through online networks.
    hopefully you know those respective
    networks hold some real gems, that are 50~mb in size, $10, and offer hours
    upon hours of play.

i think you are just wrong.

qubit says thanks.
  2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Wow, we have a lot of votes! I would like to say a big thankyou to everybody for participating in my poll. Together with the forum posts it makes for some interesting reading. :cool:

I see people are quite divided on this issue. While I voted "Yes, rippoff", I agree that it can also be a grey area sometimes. I just think it's abused more often than not to cut out content that should have been there just to sell it back to you later - think about it, the temptation to do this is enormous. I see that several posters have given concrete examples of this happening, too.

digibucc says thanks.
  3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    and there is no doubt that happens, but that's like saying movies/television in general suck,
    as there is definitely more crap than worthwhile programming. don't label an entire
    format as worthless just because some (most) companies take advantage.

no one disagrees people use it to sell junk, but be smart and don't buy junk. that doesn't
    mean it's not a useful avenue to sell additional content to a game that people actually
    want to buy.

qubit says thanks.
  4. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Seems like sound advice. :) I guess it boils down to reading the reviews before buying, doesn't it?

Also, to me, it just feels wrong to have to pay for DLC. If great DLC is released successfully for free by the likes of Valve, then I don't think it should be charged for - believe me, they make it up in increased sales one way or another.

Having said that, I don't boycott it like I do with DRM. If it's on special offer or just not very expensive, then I generally buy it.

5. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    What I find odd is the DLC which actually unlocks content already installed on your PC when you installed the game.
    I think Assassin's creed Brotherhood had this for the Da Vinci disappearance.

I understand DLC where the content is released later on and is more like an EP.
    Like the Mass Effect DLC.

6. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that's a good example. Proper DLC/expansion should be developed later as a result of feedback and requests from the community. This will target exactly what gamers want and result in the highest degree of customer satisfaction. This in turn will give the developer a great reputation and help them sell more product overall. It's no accident that I have every Valve game ever produced.

7. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm all for DLC in the more traditional expansion pack style i.e. Half Life 2 episodes, as you can often see effort has gone into improving aspects of the original game.

What im not too keen on is the model Bethesda used for Fallout 3, where the combined DLC, while relatively large, costs more than the original game's full RRP, im getting pissed at buying GOTY editions of games i already own as its the cheapest way to get all the DLC

The bit that really pisses me off though is things like the mafia 2 dlc, which was released about a week after the game, and iirc, even before the first bugfixing patch.
    DLC like that is simply content cut from the original release to make a few extra quid, bastards.

8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    agreed

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    But with a expansion pack they know what they cannot get away with and most DLC's totally fail.

Even the FO3 DLC's were a fail for me they were crap and they would not make x pack standards and they know it.

I thought it was the best one of them all. As it joined up with the rest of the game even though i do think it should of been with it but at the same time made the others feel like crappy BS addons.

If ya want the most BS DLC with that game it would have to be the one you go back to were the battle happened.

Other BS DLCs would have to be Mafia 2 as they were not done right and i thought they were just rushed pieces of crap.

So now what we do is wait till the DLC's are out and buy it all together other wise your gettihg ripped off lol. Although there is some exceptions to this as there is always games you cannot wait to get your hands on like Dues ex Duke Nukem.

10. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends actually. If its some "horse armour" crap its obviously a ripoff, but at the same time Oblivion had good dlc/expansion like Shivering Isles which is completely worth it. I don't mind DLC, it gives me option, but I would want the game to be "complete" when I buy it, and DLC is there only to enhance or extend my play and completely unnecessary.

11. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Not when DLC is free, like in The Witcher 2. They make you buy a new copy so you can get loads of free add ons in due time. Now that's a developer with the knowledge.

12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yes DLC's that add options to a game even better hence why i liked the Shale out of DA1 question is was it took out of the game or was it a after thought after the game.

Now if more DLC's were like this i would not mind as much but there is only so far you can go or the user is going start getting the feeling he\she was ripped off.

FO 3 is a great game but all the DLCs for it are crap. But if they made them more involved in the origenal game would of made me feel that i did not get ripped off when buying them although might of made me feel that they should of been with the game although not as much with FO3 as it was a big game anyways if you did not just stick to the main quest.

13. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Or Metro 2033 in Rangermode lol. It really is making the game a bit more immersive and the DLC it was part of was free. So voted "it' s not black and white".

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm the only person on the planet who liked horse armor. :cry:

Bethesda learned after they got taken to the cleaners on horse armor and the rest of the DLC was pretty decent (albiet more expensive) as people let them know they would pay a little more for better content additions.

That being said, people are probably still buying horse armor. I read an interview with Todd where he said it was still selling long after SI was released. :laugh:

15. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you are the only person who likes the Horse Armour. I suppose its a bit like fancy hats from Team Fortress 2, but I am still rather pissed because they could have added it into the game for no extra charge, yet decided to earn some quick bucks for that. That is probably one of the reasons why I hate DLC, they could have improved the gameplay for no extra cost but chose to rip customers off.

I want a DLC released based on the number of buyers: for example release horse armour for 1 million copies sold, free mini adventure when 5million people buy the game, and so on. I think that makes more sense, because if there are plenty of people buying the game they will have more profits, and some of them can be ploughed back for a better game rather than wring every cent out of poor customers. I think they can prolong the selling period then before hitting the bargain bin.

16. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes It's legit extra content, which is cool.

Sometimes it's disabled with codes, which sucks big ones.

17. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I guess I sort of look at it like buying a fancy wheels for your car. No, the car does not run any better, but it's looks spiffy. :)
    Horse armor was only $2.50 and it made my horse happier because the lady horses swooned over him in his shiny armor.

What I don't like, that has been happening lately, is different, additional content if you buy from a certain retailer.
    Oooo, I get a Sword of Doom if I buy from BestBuy ... but wait ... I get Armor of the Ancients if I buy from Amazon ... but wait ... I get the last version free if I buy from Steam.
    Rather irritating IMO.

18. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    Anyone remember when it was patches that brought in content for free? if the content was substantial it would be an expansion pack or a standalone pack in stores.

the consoles introduced DLC and started charging because it would be unwieldy to produce CDs, package them and sell them in stores for what amounted to a handful of megabytes so they'd use PSN and XBLM to download.

the devs realised they could do this for PCs too.

i blame the consoles :(

19. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps it wasn't the consoles. Maybe it was that the devs' saw that people would pay real money to buy virtual items from each other in the MMOs and realized the profit potential.

20. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    well that would be emphatically false.

it costs time and money to make content, no matter how crappy
    that content is. the work has to be paid for by someone.

so i think what you mean to say, is they could have improved
    the game play for no extra charge to you. so you are fine with
    the work being done and getting used, just not fine with paying for it.

which is understandable given the current state of offerings...

but still, the point remains, the cost is still there just not paid by you.only so
    many devs, models, and games can work that way.

in the end, it depends on a bunch things.
    a)was it planned for the base game and then left out?
    b)was it created and ready before the game went to production?
    c)is the asking price too high considering what you receive....
    d, e & f i can't think of atm, but i know they are there.

Kreij and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  21. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    and I also blame sheeple, consumerism, and like the Romans already said "Pecunia non olet". "Money doesn't stink", with other words money makes the world go round.
    Recommended protection: personally avoid consumerist behaviour and think twice before you buy DLC. Is it free (y/n)? If it isn't, is the deal still worth it?.

digibucc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I'll help you out ...

d) Does the company have a history of release crap DLC
    e) Does the method of getting the DLC force you to use something stupid, like "points".
    f) Is the DLC so bad that it warrants a flaming thread on TPU? If so, it may have been worth the cost. :D

digibucc says thanks.
  23. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Yes, they could have improved the gameplay for no extra charge to me as a customer. I am fine with them adding things after the development and charging (for example fancy hats in TF2), but I will get angry if they chopped bits off the gameplay they deem unnecesary and sell them later for more profits. I want to have the feeling that I can enjoy the game to the fullest without DLC, but if I want more there is DLC, rather than have the feeling that they sold me 95% of the game and want me to fork out extra cash for the remaining 5%. Timing is something they should learn, if they have released the horse armour 2 months down the road, I would have thought its a good thing, but not any closer.

digibucc says thanks.
  24. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    I think that we can all agree that the absolutely worst thing in PC gaming lately is when DLC #1 is released on day 1 (the day the game is released)

If that doesn't tell us "we made this during game development but thought you're stupid enough to pay us some extra" I don't know what does.

qubit says thanks.
  25. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Thats the thing Shale was originally ment to ship as PART OF THE ORIGINAL GAME, but Bioware was unable to finish it up and get it ready before the game shipped so instead of it being free content, for most people it then became a $15 DLC for what was originally part of the game, it was a fuck up on Bioware's part and they decided to milk the mistake for more money.