1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

January 9 Launch Date for AMD Radeon HD 7900

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Dec 12, 2011.

1. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    House or video cards?

2. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    but will they be able to handle consul ports?

3. John Doe Guest

Yeah, and Boy George told me he's in love with you the other day. :D I've had enough of your AMD nonsense. How many more posts, threads you have to post to praise AMD? Enough is enough.

4. 7mm

7mm

Thanks Received:
    Just about time I've being told to upgrade from Radeon HD 4350 and I made up my mind with Radeon HD 6670 DDR5, now shouldn't I wait for a month for better upgrade!

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Really? Care to prove that with some examples of reference cards overclocked on the stock air cooling?

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. John Doe Guest

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6950_1_GB/25.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_6950_Vortex_II/30.html

If you need to ask, I wouldn't expect you to understand. With reference, you most the time get a good sample. Reference boards are all made by Sapphire (PCPartner), while non-ref's are unknown. That's why they tend to have better QC and mess up less.

7. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a 2.15% difference which is probably more down to individual chip variation rather than anything else.

For example my first 6870 could over-clock to 1100mhz and do 1000mhz with no additional voltage.

My second 6870 can't go over 960mhz without jibbing out.

My cards were identical in every other way ( reference design by the way with the fancy voltage control and such ;) )

8. John Doe Guest

That's not the point. With reference, you have a higher chance of getting a good sample.

VisionTek 900352 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 ...

9. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think there is a higher chance man, maybe you've just got lucky.

I see the same variation regardless of whether it's reference or not.

In fact some of the highest over clocks I've seen are on non reference cards.

How ever I know it's all down to luck, any over-clocking always is.

I don't just speak from my experience either, I speak from this forums entirely collective user-base XD

10. John Doe Guest

That's not what I meant. Companies go cost cutting when they go non-ref. So if you just buy some random non-ref board without research (like that one), chances are you'll get a cheaply made board with QC all over the place. With reference, you always get that solid, tested and proven design.

11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is why I read reviews before buying things :laugh:

See now I get what your saying, but the way you were saying it was well not right :laugh:

Should of gone with that statement straight away, save yourself all the grief you got :)

12. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Actually, the difference is probably due to the fact that the reference board is pushing 1.19v through the core by default and the PowerColor card is only using 1.15v by default. But he probably was hoping we didn't notice that.;)

And when the PowerColor card was ran at ~1.2v(or 1.19v maybe, the graph is a little hard to read exact voltages) it hits 965MHz, so 35MHz more than the reference with the Volterra when using the same voltages.

Not a great example... Keep trying there John Doe.

xenocide and pantherx12 say thanks.
  13. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Completely missed that, but then I've always ignored that graph :laugh:

14. John Doe Guest

Great, you know actually it's like discussing with a brick wall when arguing with you. You do realize reference is the best with the Cayman GPU, right? It has the highest QC and the best power delivery. As long as temps are kept in check, reference with Volterra is a beast. Most non-ref solutions of Cayman are cheaper to make, inferior. Especially after the revision change, 2nd revision boards haven't been doing as good as the first 6950/70's did.

15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Oh, one more thing. Did you happen to wonder why he picked the 1GB review instead of the reference 2GB? My guess is because the 2GB reference sample only managed 860Mhz...:roll:

Yep, those reference cards will definitely give you a great overclock. Guaranteed!

You keep saying that, but have yet to show any proof. And the proof you tried to show just made you look worse. As I said, keep trying.

Yeah, I can understand the brick wall thing, you just keep posting things and I just keep shooting them down for the BS they are... I can understand that becoming frustrating.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  16. John Doe Guest

Yes, they will. I didn't give attention to those details at all. Good making up.

The burden of proof is on you. It's your ignorance that doesn't know about how the revision change affected the boards. Do your research, ask Lord Jummy. He has reference boards. I don't own the cards in question so this is all I can say. What proof do you want me to show you? I had a bunch of non-ref boards with that red PCB made by Flextronics (same company), they didn't OC crap. Not even a few Mhz. Such thing would pretty much never happen with a reference board, because it's higher quality make with higher QC.

17. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    And your reason for the 2GB sample clock like crap then? If the reference boards are so much better, why only 860Mhz. Note: I know the answer, I'm just trying to figure out if mister know-it-all can figure it out.

Not it isn't. You made the initial claims, you have to prove them. You have to prove that the Volterra PWM is important. All you've done so far is make claims, and the small little amount of proof you tried to provide actually proved the opposite of your claim, that when a non-reference card without a Volterra is set to the same voltage it will clock higher than the reference with the Volterra.

18. John Doe Guest

I didn't say it's important. They took off what made the GPU fancy. It's now just an inferior GPU with inferior drivers. It has nothing left to make itself really distinguish from nVidia. Understand? And no, a non-ref card will NOT clock higher than a reference with these cards. It depends on your sample; the GPU you got.

19. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Oh, hey look. 7900's are releasing on Jan. 9!

C-c-c-c-combo Breaker!

JATownes says thanks.
  20. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    What you posted seems to contradict that statement, doesn't it. Seems the Volterra isn't important at all, you basically only got one thing right. It depends on the sample, the Volterra doesn't improve your changes at all.

21. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cmon man you buy a cheap board what do you expect?

It's like buying a £35 motherboard and expecting it to be as good as a £200 one.

If you get the non reference cards that are the same price or more expensive than a reference one you'll typically get decent over-clocking headroom unless your unlucky.

Anyway, think that's me done in this thread.

Way off topic :laugh:

Shall we make a new thread to discuss reference vs 3rd party designs?

22. John Doe Guest

Yes, it does. It provides accurate software voltage monitoring. Right at point and very stable regulation. It shows it's benefits under more extreme cases, so as to what degree it helps depends on your case. There haven't been extensive testing on it to show how much it adds to the reliability/stability of GPU. Though, more advanced VRM designs get lower ripple, which equates to cleaner power.

23. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    guess which one is reference:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• GPUS.jpg
      GPUS.jpg
      File size:
      146.2 KB
      Views:
  24. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:

Attached Files:

25. John Doe Guest

You know you have to keep track of voltage for an amount of time, look at how much regulation changed percantage-wise, right? I can't "guess" which one is reference by a single screenshot. I've to extensively test and keep track of both. :rolleyes:

Can you guess how long an obstacle is by looking at it? You have to measure it. This is ironic.