1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just Powered Up

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Renee, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well one thing...I did have it connected correctly.....
    Thank you

Im going to sleep.
    Renee

2. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Definitely subscribing to find out what's going on XD

Good luck getting your new computer working.

Here's a tip: take your time and thinking logically. do things one step at a time and double check everything is done properly.

3. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me that it's one of 2 things that people have already mentioned....

1. Your seperate 8 pin CPU power cable is not plugged in, on newer boards this normally is situated near to the cpu socket in the corner of the board.

or

2. You have not connected the "on" button on your case to the correct jumper on the mainboard so that put simply, when you press the button no signal is telling your sytem to power up.

I appreciate you are experienced, we all I am sure make simple errors or ommissions when putting together a large amount of components.

4. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you,

I'm sure I've overlooked something. :(

Renee

"take your time and thinking logically. do things one step at a time and double check everything is done properly. "

I have been but... this is the first water cooling I've done. Things are "different" with water cooling and hardware is somewhat more advanced.
    Renee

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    OK, so, full list of components, please.

I know board, and CPU, how about ram?

See, if the board was even partially booting, and there was a hardware problem, attaching the speaker would have pointed to the problem, assuming the speaker made some noise when you push the power button, either a single beep for complete POST, or multiple beeps for hardware error.

You are not getting even that far, seemingly.

It is time to take the motherboard out of the case, place it on the box it came in, and try booting with just a single stick of ram in, power supply connected, CPU and cooler mounted, and videocard. If this fails, it's time to consider talking to the retailer about getting the board replaced. hopefully you bought from a local store so you can take it there and have them test everything.

SneekyPeet gave the best advice...if there are no beeps at all form the speaker when you press the power button, something is quite wrong there.

Of course, you may want to try flipping the power button cable from the case over, so that the writing on it is facing the other direction. some switches only work if conencted with the right +/- orientation.

Renee says thanks.
  6. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do have a question. All of the boards were upside down. To have the board "bottom side up" is normal but to have the writing on the cards upside down does not seem normal although, Microcenter did not comment on that.

Renee

7. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    "Of course, you may want to try flipping the power button cable from the case over, so that the writing on it is facing the other direction. some switches only work if conencted with the right +/- orientation."

I didn't know that. Live and learn...
    Renee

8. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Renee, if you want to reply to a quote, all you need to do is press the "quote" button at the bottom right of the post. :D

95Viper says thanks.
  9. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    I keep asking questions and they aren't answered.

What is the normal color for the level10 "on light"?

""Of course, you may want to try flipping the power button cable from the case over, so that the writing on it is facing the other direction. some switches only work if conencted with the right +/- orientation."

This has nothing to do with the orientation of the boards on the mother board. :)

Renee

10. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're doing custom water cooling? Or did you buy a sealed prebuilt unit?

If it's prebuilt there is no difference between that and air cooling as far as setting up the machine. Same concept.

I'm a bit lost as to where you are in the process right now. Are you still having trouble getting the power switch hooked up properly? As far as I know it shouldn't matter where the positive and negative wire are plugged in. For power/reset it's irrelevant. It only matters for the HD activity light and such AFAIK.

I feel like you're still missing the proper jumpers on the mobo for power button, OR you don't have the PSU hooked up to the machine properly. Maybe take a picture of your current hardware config so we can tell you what to do?

11. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought a Corsair H8 watercooling system. However, a water cooling system in a level 10 does add an order to how things are done.

The system is at Microcenter where I bought components. I took it there yesterday after I realized that resources gave me no meaningful ability to test.

I asked a question and you are saying it's irrelevant? It's relevant to me.

Again, to the best of my knowledge I do have the power hooked up. The GREEN Led on the board was ON.

Renee

12. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is no difference in the order of how the components go together when using a corsair LCS. It is installed just as an air cooler is.

I am not calling your question irrelevant. You misread what I wrote. I was saying the orientation of the positive and negative jumpers for the power switch are not important on the motherboard header. That's all.

The green LED just means there is power going into the board. It doesn't mean the board is ON.

13. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    renee, you were asked to post your full system specs...you didnt...

you were asked for a picture...you saw it fit at this point to let the community know they had let you down by not just following your orders... so no pic...

you cant be helped....

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  14. John Doe Guest

Come on, she was hit by a car. Please. Come to think of it.

15. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    And, it's all insured at Microcenter. I pay diagnostic fees and that it.

The full systen specs that are important are:

1 - Sandy Bridge Extreme
    1- Antec 850 watt supply(High Current Pro)
    1-OWC -Revo 248 GB drive
    1 Sabertooth board
    2-Panasonic DVDs

And that's it....

I'm still curious about the color of the level 10 power light. Is it red all the time?

I don't remember a request for a pic?

Renee

16. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    sorry, i thought you were willingly ignoring requests that are essential for problem solving...

best thing you can do now, is take a load of pics and post them up... if anythings configured incorrectly we will know then...

17. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Given that I do not have a way to take pictures and that the computer is at the shop...
    I think it'll be over when it's back and we'll find out what the problem was. I'm playing with my new Lenovo Extreme. Goodness, is it ever fast! And it won't be nearly as fast as the machine I'm waitimg for. The Lenovo does have a SSD but not one nearly as fast as the new system will have,

Renee

18. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Subscribing to find out whats wrong.

Good luck getting your new monster up and running :)

Renee says thanks.
  19. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you!

I affectionately call it "The Beast".

Renee

20. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    good luck with the new pc, i hope they sort it out quickly for you....:toast:

21. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    They did! There was nothing wrong. It was a board seating problem.

I am just getting ready to install Windows. I also have to get through a Revo SSD.

Thank you!
    Renee

Darkleoco says thanks.
  22. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, I have problems installing Windows 7 on "the beast". Phase 1 of the installtion goes ok. Then it reboots and crashes almost immediately with a error of xc0000017. According to interpretation which I take with a grain of salt my registry is coorupted. Another thing to remember is that I have a OWC Revo3 disk in here. Thr proper Owc driver has been loaded to the new windows.

The hardware seems to be working ok, although i dont know much about the revo3 except that it's fast.

Renee

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  23. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here something important. I must first change thr Revo3 to be the primary boot device. Checking...

24. Renee New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've gottten it to reboot BUT I must set the system disk which I think I've done, however upon the reboot which went well.....it will no longer take any terminal input.

Renee

25. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    My advice is return all parts and buy a prebuilt machine...

All you need to do is read the manuals that came with your hardware and you will be set.

To set the boot device you must go into your BIOS menu at boot up. Generally you press "delete" or "F1" key to do this. The rest should be pretty self explanatory. If you don't know how to do this, you should probably buy a prebuilt system.