1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kepler Unbeatable: NVIDIA

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    ...but until it does, it's just nVidia making claims without a product.

2. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g

Thanks Received:
    Don't compare that POS faildozer to Kepler. If Kepler is even half of what it's claimed, it'll be a good improvement over Fermi. Most probably it'll slaughter AMD once again, but I guess that's just too sensitive for the red fan boys, so they won't accept this.

xenocide and Fluffmeister say thanks.
  3. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I agree. Nvidia has pulled so many dishonest stunts in the years gone by that I am not surprised they keep talking bologna now. My concern is they are about to release something worse than a Fermi..... something along the lines of the 2900xt. By that I mean something that DOES perform, but at a price and power premium. This new 7770 competitor gives me some concern on that level as well. Equal price and performance and way more power consumption.

I lean more in the direction of an AMD fan, but Nvidia does need to compete to keep pricing ~reasonable.

Icedog, considering how late it is it NEEDS to be 30% over 7xxx's to be considered a slaughter, because 8xxx's won't be far off. I don't doubt AMD would release 8xxx's a little early if Kepler is not far beyond the 7's.

4. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    The graph is not showing months but DP Gflops per Watt. Last news April hard launch that's only 3 months after Tahiti.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD should just come out and say wait for HD 8XXX series. Patience, it will blow away Kepler. Meh, Nvidia is trolling and Bta... You took the bait.

BlackOmega and jpierce55 say thanks.
  6. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    But its worth $2...each and every rumor! :roll:

7. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is EXACTLY what I was thinking as I read this! Bulldozer talked a lot of smack before it launched, and underperformed terribly. I sense the same for Kepler, but with a higher price tag because fanboys will pay for anything with a green logo.

8. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Kepler will not be taken as a flop like BD generally is. BD couldnt find its way out of a wet paperbag in performance and power consumption. Most dont care about power consumption (I mean who the hell buys a $500 card and complains about the meager difference in their electric bill? Seriously).

My take is: Kepler will easily beat 7970, and will take up more power, and will likely be priced higher as well. So what. You get what you pay for, the best single GPU out.

:nutkick: Seriously.. green, red, blue, doesnt matter ALL fanboys will pay for their brand. :shadedshu

9. jaredpace

jaredpace New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Bah, any "fanboy" just means ignorant to me. Enough of the fanboy talk already.

Grings and Wrigleyvillain say thanks.
  11. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I kinda remember another hype that was going about the 6000 series and how they gonna smoke the hot and power hungry Fermi. Fanboys will always create hype. This time NV is extremely quiet everything you see and hear comes from speculations and fanboys. But rather sooner than later we'll know what's going on.

Fluffmeister says thanks.
  12. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    A Facebook post in Italian, wow you guys are really scrapping the barrel! Damn Nv stop shouting from the rooftops! :roll:

But your all waiting for Kepler, just admit it.

Hell you might be able to get a 79x0 card for a reasonable price then... maybe.

Makaveli says thanks.
  13. bigfish492 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want so bad a Sapphire 7950 OC so all I can say is ''Welcome Mr Kepler''...

14. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    All this talk about Kepler is only targeted to try and slow down AMDs graphics cards sales which are outselling anything in the market.

Super XP and Horrux say thanks.
  15. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Then you best hope that it's not a repeat of the 5800 series situation that iirc went up a bit in price once Fermi finally dropped. Not that I'm saying I expect it to be... GTX 480 was hot, power hungry and underwhelming comparatively at the time, especially being 6 months "late". Note I am not knocking that card generally as I literally just bought one new for $200. :)

16. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Which is hilarious since the driver support for the 7xxx series is nothing short of terrible. I am willing to wait for an Nvidia solution since I have had it with AMD Drivers BSoDing during installation and failing to properly install unless I take precautions that make it take upwards of an hour to do a driver upgrade. Fermi was rushed, and was using a different design (Kepler is like an evolved Fermi) so most of the problems that presented themselves with Fermi, won't be as big, or even an issue with Kepler. If all goes according to plan at least.

17. Andrei23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    All this is doing is hyping Kepler up. The more they do it, the more they shoot themselves in the foot if it fails to deliver on all these big promises.

18. Casecutter

Thanks Received:
    Good point it's only showing about the number of Gflop/w they said they could of achieve over 2012. And by that they have nothing in the market to quantify that?

Don't I look silly...:ohwell:

No promises just ask for "patience, patience, patience, the right time will come, and then ... it will be unbeatable" but at what...

19. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Of course it will be unbeatable. It isn't hard to get out a product that is better than your competition when you wait for your competition to release theirs so you have a line in the sand set for you to cross...

Horrux and Makaveli say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  20. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Yea I mean it worked great for Bulldozer.

21. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    NVidia is far more competent at making powerful GPUs than AMD is at making powerful CPUs...:laugh:

It also helps if you have been in the lead the past two generations already, which AMD wasn't when Bulldozer came out, but nVidia is with Kepler.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  22. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Make sure to stir the pot to prevent scortching or clumps.

Nvidia news is like trying to read the tp after you wipe. Find the food in the crap.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  23. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    I think Nvidia is performing better, releases enough time between one generation and another.

AMD rather do nothing but churn GPU as a baker.

24. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Who is that idiot that translated the message?
    Aspettando Kepler... pazienza, pazienza, pazienza che il momento giusto arriverà, e allora... non ce ne sarà più per nessuno! :)
    ===
    Waiting for Kepler ... patience, patience, patience, the right time will come, and then... there will be none!

Meaning they all will be sold! Is like publicity, nothing to do with kepler itself.
    Open google translate see for yourself!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  25. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Okay, everyone just stop for a second.

nVidia has not released Kepler, therefore it wins over nothing. That is all I am saying. For all of you who are saying "LOL KEPLERS SO FAST," is just talking out of their rear-end because there are no engineering samples or real sourced benchmarks to confirm any of these claims. The 7970 is here and it performs well. That is what matters right now, because until Kepler is actually release, no one will benefit from it, including nVidia.

So the next time any of you want to go bashing AMD, just remember at least their chip is already in production and in rigs as we speak.

Let's stop with the speculation and stick with the cold, hard, facts if you're going to go on a flaming rampage.

jpierce55 says thanks.