1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lets talk PC Audio

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Mussels, Mar 7, 2011.

1. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Foobar2000
  2. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I give up on winamp a long time ago, currently using AIMP since it has multiple tabs and lightweight.

I don't like the UI :p Might change my mind if the SQ difference is big.
  3. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    There are almost endless combinations of UI's, you can change/modify it yourself actually. That's why I love it.
    Plus it has ASIO support for my card.

I wouldn't worry about SQ that much, the difference is minimum (if there is any at all).
  4. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    I also use Foobar2000, it can play .mpc with no need for plugins.
  5. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're right, I could not really notice unless with headphone. I'd stick with AIMP. :p
  6. twilyth Guest

I love AIMP - it's perfect right out of the box. It comes with a couple decent skins, I love the way in manages playlists - although it's not completely intuitive, if you can find some cheese at the end of a maze, you can probably figure it out. And the tag editor is nothing short of kick ass. I can point it to a 30gig sub-directory with mixed media files and it will rename only the audio files based on the template I give it. For really huge directories it could take 30-60 minutes, maybe a bit more, but it doesn't choke and works perfectly. I fuckin' love AIMP.
  7. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I like Foobar2000.
  8. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    you can't compare auzentech soundcard with realtek's chip on a mobo - it really made a small difference in my case, switching from primary to anything else gave me a bit more gain, less "mud" in the bass and a bit clearer high end. this is pretty noticeable in the music i listen to (tech/prog house, techno, etc.), altough combined effect is in the same class as eg. 128kbit/s mp3 vs 320kbit/s mp3.
  9. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone ever had microphone problems with X-Fi based cards? Maybe it's chip-related, I don't know. I have Auzentech X-Fi Forte (after two RMAs it finally works), and I just can't make the mic to work. To be more specific, it does work, but it's terribly quiet even if I pump the volume to 100%, put the mic virtually inside of my mouth, and yell like mad. There is the usual mic boost option, but that's the catch: when I check it, speakers start to produce terrible noise which almost breaks windows (and tbh the voice is not that ideal, volume-wise either). Anyone has any idea?
    Basically there is something completely wrong with sensitivity of the mic input on the card.
    Ironically enough, when I use onboard Realtek, it works perfectly. Arrrrgh!
  10. samual New Member

Thanks Received:
    According to me,If you are on board to support DTS or DDL encoding than the optical or digital, may still be enabled using a different HDMI sound card or audio device (such as modern ATI and NV GFX card) benefits. Optical / coaxial connection is still not do anything like a multi-channel PCM or Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master HD audio without loss of quality audio formats.
  11. Martine

Martine New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the Logitech X-530 speakers. Does it make a difference if I use an onboard sound card or a dedicated sound card (<50$) for gaming and DVD movies?
    P.S.Yeah I know, I am lazy. I have too many things going on right now so I don't have the time to research.
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    not really, they're too low end. IMO with those speakers they have background hiss even when not connected to anything, so i doubt you'll notice much difference between any soundcards unless your onboard is REALLY bad.
    Martine says thanks.
  13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Well i am using-

Asus xonar dx digital out/ Yamaha dsp a5/ 5x sony 110w satelites/ pioneer 110watt sub.

My system sound very nice now, even though i know some people would say using the onboards digi out it would sound just as good, but i don't know.
  14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Digital out doesn't always sounds as good. Depends on what has the better DACs. Your sound card or your receiver. And Spdif can't do uncompressed multi channel.

If my choices are onboard digital out or analog outs from a higher quality sound card, I'll go sound card every time. It's the same for 2 channel and compressed multi-channel, but it's better in uncompressed multi-channel.
  15. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    tigger has the world's most expensive passthrough lol
  16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Shit, I missed that. Yeah, using the digital out of the sound card is totally pointless.
  17. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    I used to use winamp then I tried foobar now I use
    http://www.aimp.ru/
    and its the best _music_ player since winamp 3.x
  18. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Its ok guys, i understand the derision, but my amp does not have a 6 channel input or i would have been using the analogue out from my card to the amp. I am trying to get another amp that has the 6ch inputs. But anyway my sound setup sounds fooking sweet either way so deride away :p

Which has the best DAC btw, the amp or the soundcard, anyone know?
  19. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Brown Burrs dacs are the best,Just make sure you get a amp with the newer chips.As for sound card why not use the HDMI from your video card? I use mine to the Onkyo a/v.
  20. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    My amp does not have HDMI or i would have tried it, i guess i need a new amp that has a 5.1 ana input. or maybe a seperate DAC then connect my soundcard digi out to that, then to the ext decoder input on my amp?
  21. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    you can have 10 receivers with the same Burr-Brown DAC and they will all sound different. it's not the chip it's how the company implements it.
  22. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    twilyth thought I should post this.

this is the cheapest way I know to hook up a pair of passive speakers to a computer.

Dayton Audio DTA-1

there is also the Dayton Audio DTA-100a

you can hook up either Class T-Amp to a sound card or DAC.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  23. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Nice, I should buy this and a pair of bookshelf instead of desktop speakers.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  24. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Ever since MS dropped HAL support, and considering the craptastic driver support overall on sound cards and the price, performance and scant selection of 5.1 PC speakers, I honestly don't know why most PC gamers with any kind of sound budget at all even bother sticking with internal PC sound.

For around $450 you can get a pretty good entry level HT receiver with Burr Brown DACs and fairly decent 5.1 speakers with floor standing fronts and an 8" sub. The only caveat is, you need to shop for the receiver in the few months following the Superbowl to get the best prices ($150).

Decent speakers however can be had at good prices quite often, like the Jamo S426 HCS 3 mated to their SUB 210. Fry's has the S426 HCS 3s for $200 and will match net price on the sub for $100. I just got those speakers for my Yamaha RX-V371, which also has Burr Brown DACs.

If you have deep pockets though, Wolfson DACs are da bomb, but only found on higher end receivers.
  25. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    1. most people do not want spend time messing with the amp to manage the volume/inputs
    2. no matter how good the amp is the quality will only be as good as the input you are feeding into it
    3.HAL != direct sound and direct sound was a stupid idea to begin with and I am not sorry to see it gone creative can go fk them selves with there proprietary api's and bullshit
    and a 8 inch sub ? rofl
    theres two 10's sitting under my chair
    and a 12 behind me :)