1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lets talk PC Audio

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Mussels, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Rockfella.killswitch

Rockfella.killswitch New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the Asus Xonar DX and no optical out on the motherboard. Should i use the digital out of the DX or ana if i buy the Edifier S730 (Digital 2.1 speakers!)

Thanks.
  2. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    use analog out on the DX.
  3. Rockfella.killswitch

Thanks Received:
    Does this mean if i connect digital speakers using toslink from the DX i'll get inferior sound?
  4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    yeah not to mention your sound card won't be doing much other than passing the audio to the Edifier S730.

a mini-jack (3.5mm) to RCA cable should do it. connect it to the Front jack on the DX if I remember.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    not so much that - more that using digital makes your sound cards analogue redundant.

cheap onboard sounds exactly the same as high end audio, through digital connections.
  6. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    this is the cable you need

[​IMG]

connect the black end to the Front jack on the DX and the Red and White ends to the Edifier S730 sub.
  7. Rockfella.killswitch

Thanks Received:
    Oh.. so what's the use of buying a dedicated sound card with digital out like the DX? I want to use the "Dolby Digital Live" of the DX which i've not been able to use yet. I think i can only use it with dogotal speakers?
    I got this cable. So analogue connection will make use of the sound card?
  8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    your sound card can process music a lot better than those speakers. you don't have 5.1 speakers so Dolby Digital Live doesn't matter.

yes.
  9. Rockfella.killswitch

Thanks Received:
    Then what speakers would truly utilize the full potential of my DX?
  10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    yes. in stereo.

Dolby Digital Live is used for sending 5.1 to a receiver with speakers like this.

[​IMG]
  11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the most expensive ones in the world, of course.

what we're saying is: you bought an expensive sound card for its better analogue outputs. at least try them, before going digital (since digital makes the expensive card completely redundant)

while digital will be a pure, unaltered signal, the analogue may sound better to you.
  12. Rockfella.killswitch

Thanks Received:
    I am ruling out speakers completely. I'll go for this maybe...

Audio Technica ATH-M35

13. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    analog is going to sound better because the DAC section inside the Edifier S730 was probably an afterthought.
  14. Rockfella.killswitch

Thanks Received:
    So analog speakers can utilize dx's dac?
  15. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    what do you mean? all speakers are analog.
  16. Rockfella.killswitch

Thanks Received:
    I mean a good set of 2.1 speakers that'll do justice to my sound card :p
  17. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Xonar DX and I have to say that if you have a decent (£500+) system you would benefit from a decent DAC. I went for a new one, Micromedia MyDac, but you can get something Cambridge Audio for example for maybe £100, and it should beat the crap out of most sound cards. You deserve it!
  18. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the sound card isn't that good :p
  19. Rockfella.killswitch

Thanks Received:
    :cry:
  20. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    I've seen optical outputs on the back of many TVs. What exactly is the point of it?
  21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    HDMI passes optical to TV, then TV optical-out to stereo for audio. Most TV's only support 2-channel SPDIF though. It's more meant for those that have receivers that don't do HDMI, and video devices that don't offer coaxial audio output.

Nice necro, BTW> :roll:
  22. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Question for you all. My file server has a ALC892 audio chip, so I can split the communication devices and speakers to separate channels. My main rig also has the ALC892, can I basically gaurentee that I will be able to split them into separate channels as well? If So I might just sell my HT Omega Striker sound card.
  23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i'm really not understanding the question. please try asking again, in a different way.
  24. trog69

Thanks Received:
    Since the title to this thread was "Let's talk pc-audio", I'd like to remark on what I've found so far in my search for better sound via my PC.

I'm a retiree and an avid PC gamer. For years I was quite happy with the very inexpensive Logitech 5.1 powered speaker system. Then, after upgrading to a 680ftw GPU, I decided that I missed my past audio obsessions, so I started shopping. First, I got lucky twice on the first day, finding a refurbished Sony 7.1ch receiver, and a Polk Audio 12", 300watt powered subwoofer, both of them for $300 delivered-and an added 3year warrantee on the receiver included! Then I hit Craigslist looking for used speakers and again got very lucky. The ad was for a pair of vintage KEF dual-8"driver mini-towers. When I arrived, I found out that the gentleman was an amateur speaker repair guy, and regularly sold repaired speakers. So, I left his house with the pair of KEFs and a pair of B&W 601 se's for $400 total. So, I'm now sitting in front of both sets sitting on my very large desktop, and all for less than $800 for cables, speaker wire,etc.

What is curious, to me anyway, is that I couldn't find much of anyone who replaced their sound card/PC speakers with a receiver/bookshelf speakers. And old receiver will work, as long as you're happy with stereo only. This Sony is HDMI-capable, but since I'm only interested in stereo, SPDIF works fine, as would RCA jacks.

Another thing I learned was that today's digital receivers pretty much all have great sound, because they all use the same circuit boards. The price differences between my $150 refurb.($230 regular price) and a $600 Denon or Yamaha or...is the added features for HT use, primarily. Some of the higher-end receivers/amplifiers have separate mono-amps for each channel, so upping the price, but from what I've read at many HT/music enthusiast websites, you'd be hard-pressed to actually hear the difference. So, rather than spending more for a receiver when the cheaper one has the features you want, I would heartily recommend you look at better speakers, because they definitely do NOT sound the same. hehe.

Here's a pic of the setup. Sub and receiver under the desk. Tuneage and gaming.jpg
  25. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    @trog69 Those are some great speakers you've got there. I recommend that you try a Creative X-Fi sound card with them if possible, as the sound is just amazing. I'm talking about without any post-processing effects, too. They're discontinued now, but if you can find a decent one on Amazon or eBay they're well worth it.

Don't pay over the odds for it though (should be around $50-$80) and don't fall for one of the cheap Creatives that are labelled X-Fi, but don't actually use the X-Fi chipset.