1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Logitech Z-5500 Digital Soundroom

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by DanishDevil, Apr 16, 2008.

1. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    so you can't wall mount the L and R channels? I am trying to figure out if you really can't wall mount or if the wires running up the wall would drive you crazy because even with the right connections I don't know if those wireless bookshelf speakers would work.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. Streetracer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bumble, i can't run the cables to the place where the speaker will be placed: there is no predisposition inside the walls and they are made of concrete, so they can not be traced.... and passing from outside they will be really visible since on the path there is a wall with a door.... i know it is complicated.
    And i agrre with you that there is the possibility that they wouldn't work anyway since i'm not shure that the singnal coming out from the sub is a really RCA compatible signal being already amplified.

@ Mussels: the signal compatibility is also what stops me from making an adaptor up for RCA to bare wire, i don't think it will work, but i'm not sure.... but the fact that there is no anything similar on the market makes me think.....

What do you think: is the power signal exiting from the sub to the speakers compatible with an RCA amplifier imput signal?
  3. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all!

My old AMP is dieing and so I decided to get THX sound system. I´d very much like to have a Z-5500 but I found a Z-5400 for about 100€

http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/logitech-51-thx-5400-310-w-kaiutinpaketti/189868531

I would like to know if this system is worth it - specs and price seem great..

PS. My onboard sound is only Realtek ALC885 (8 Channel, has optical output) - Are the 5400 speakers overkill for it?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    100€ sounds like a good deal. Although I would look into something better, non computer speakers and non Logitech.
  5. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    For about 100€ I will not get any great Home-theater system.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the speakers are overkill, since your onboard wont have DD encoding - so you'll be stereo or analogue for 5.1

that said, nothing stopping you getting a better soundcard later (and/or they'll become more awesome later, when you get a new mobo on your next rig with DD live)
  7. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    In this case I am going to get a DolbyDigital soundcard later. Even without a DD sound for now I am quite sure that I´ll be blown away by the improvement right from the start.
    Now I only got a malfuntioning 30 year old amp with 2 speakers.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  8. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Okay, wait a minute. Why didn't anyone tell me about this thread? :shadedshu

Well I guess better late than never. So, I just happen to be the proud owner of Logitech Z-5500 and I love them as much as I love my children! Ok, maybe not as much but damn close.

Now, here's the thing. I was skimming through pages and now I find out there a firmware version? And what's this Boost stuff? I'll post all that info but someone please help me where to find it and do this Boost thing. :D

EDIT: I found this thread thanks to JrRacingFan's sig. :)
  9. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Added :toast:

Check the "Secrets/Tips/Tricks" in the original post :)
    ChaoticAtmosphere says thanks.
  10. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Man I got boost 22 once now it's back to boost 11 and I can't seem to get it to 22 again lol. Oh well boost 11 is pretty powerful. I think I woke up my roommate with one of my Crysis2 youtube videos! :laugh:

EDIT: And all info sent CheeseDanish
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    iirc, it only works on analogue to boost 22. i made some posts about that in the early pages of the thread.
  12. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    That's not my name! But it is my favorite kind :)
  13. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    I swear it went to boost 22, I saw it. But I guess it wouldn't stay there because I'm not using analog. It's when I went to turn it down that it went back to boost 11. But man boost 11 is pretty powerful. Even without it I can get the police at my door on a Saturday night! (And I have :laugh:)

Oops sorry Danish Devil, Got you both confused.
  14. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just wondering..

Anyone knows what triggers the fuse inside the sub to blow out?

I bought my Z-5500 some 3 years ago now, the first time it blew out after a couple of months. Now it blew up again today, with the difference that this time the fuse was black.

It never blew up while in use. I'd turn it on, grab the remote... and see that it's not on at all, so I get up again to check that I really turned the wall-plug on...
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  15. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Not definitively...power surge? That's why it has a fuse though. This reminds me I have never had to replace mine (though have actually probably used the sub for all of three hours even though Ive owned these things for 5 years. Meh city apartment living sucks)
  16. jerrygp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Satellite Speaker Disassembly

Help! I removed the speaker stand bolt from one of my Z-5500 satellite speakers and the nut is now rolling around in the speaker. Anyone know how to disassemble the speaker? I removed the four screws around the front and can remove the two screws from the speaker connector, but the speaker does not seem to want to come apart. Any ideas?

thanks for any help...
  17. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Not sure, but I'll bump this to the top, and hopefully somebody can help you out!
  18. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    maybe try a spudger?
  19. jerrygp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the timely response. The stand is now free from the bottom of the speaker and I got the nut out, but am unsure how to proceed with reattaching the base.
  20. jerrygp New Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem with a spudger is, even if I can reposition the nut, I cannot rethread the base with the bolt to it. There is no way to hold the nut in place. I tried removing the screws from the speaker front and from the wiring connector, but the unit won't come apart just using my fingernails. Thanks for the input though...
  21. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    M.C from Whirlpool.net.au writes:

You might be in some bad luck here. Have you done this with all your speakers or just one of them, and if so a regular or center satellite?
  22. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    When i bought my old Z-5500 it cost me around £250... i have since moved onwards and upwards (while spending considarably less)... bought an Onkyo TR-SX309 amp with some Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers and they seriously blow the old logitechs out of the water and cost me £180 sexcond hand!!!

Second hand but practically brand new... all in boxes without a scratch and i got some speaker stands for the surrounds, wall mounts and thick guage speakers cable :)

Happy customer!
  23. jerrygp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I only removed one. It was from one of the regular satellites. I got the nut to fall out at least. But like the previous post notes, it looks like maybe bad news on separating the speaker front from the back in order to reattach the nut. Thank you for your responce. Much appreciated.
  24. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Anyone in the UK want to buy some Logitech Z-5500 surround speakers and control pod/remote?... the sub isnt working anymore thanks to my dog!!! but the rest is all in great condition!
  25. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    TIL what a spudger is.

Good luck.