• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looks like I may be going Red.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The fact you dropped a disclaimer in there makes you look guilty. Don't ever be a witness in a court trial.

From what we can tell he's using one monitor at 1080p. What's even more curious is that he currently( I assume by the thread title ) already has Nvidia...

I put in the disclaimer because I know TPU members and how some of them can get sometimes with questions like this and I just wanna ask my question in peace. Anyway, if you'd like to continue this discussion please do it in one of the comment threads or PM so that we don't derail this one. :)

As to your second point, yes, it gets curiouser and curiouser!

Are you referring to full screen vs windowed? If so, I am speaking about what's called windowed mode. In most games the graphics options allow you to use full screen, full screen window, or windowed mode. Windowed mode makes the program drag-able (like say your Explorer window). It also means that you can move the mouse cursor outside of the window to do things simultaneously in the background, like browse the internet.

Have you ever accidentally hit ALT+ENTER on the keyboard and your game does a resizing? You just put it into windowed mode. Some programs allow the ALT+ENTER as a shortcut to windowed mode.
When in full screen, you have to ALT+TAB to get back to the desktop, and often that can crash or degrade the programs performance(shouldn't, but it does). So windowed mode is a better alternative and as I said before, it means you keep your color profiling. Unfortunately Crossfire doesn't work in window mode, so you lose one card's performance entirely.

I do not see the 'bundle' you are referring to(if you're talking about a games bundle, don't make me laugh!!)?
What is it that makes you think the AMD cards cannot be beat?

I always advise reference cards, yet why does that matter in relation to liquid cooling - you mean you don't need to spend the extra money on upgraded fan versions?

In some cases one 7970 is overkill let alone two.
They don't need to be the same exact cards to Crossfire, and historically cards sell better as singles, not as a set.

In your case, 1x 7970 > 2x 7950.

Let's look at some average pricing :

7970 $400
7950 $289
waterblock $100 (blocks for each model are the same in cost)

Without any liquid cooling, a 7970 saves you almost $200
With the liquid cooling, a 7970 saves you almost $300

I'm strongly suggesting that you go with a GTX 670, leave it on air and consider your options come next year.
You may find you do not need another card and/or an upgrade to cooling.

GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit...
Nice cooler, good board. $359

If you absolutely must go with AMD, and you don't care about windowed mode or color profiles, then get a 7970.

Let me try to answer a couple of these one at a time here.

"I do not see the 'bundle' you are referring to(if you're talking about a games bundle, don't make me laugh!!)?
What is it that makes you think the AMD cards cannot be beat?
"

"Beat".....as in the 670 doesn't even begin to compare to a 7970 in price + performance with the bundle I was referring to. If I have $400.00 in my pocket.....and buy an AMD 7970 , I'll get 3 full games at $50.00 a pop and 20% off another one......which all 4 of those games are ones that I want. That right there saves me $170.00 right out of my pocket. Which makes the $400.00 7970 cost $230.00.

Why would that make you laugh? That makes no sense. Shouldn't I be the one laughing by getting a deal like that? Now....lets say I buy two of them.....sell the extra 3 - 4 games for $100.00......means I'll get my second 7970 for $300.00. Still a great deal. Right? What am I missing here?

"I always advise reference cards, yet why does that matter in relation to liquid cooling - you mean you don't need to spend the extra money on upgraded fan versions?"

Reference cards mean just about everything when it comes to water cooling I guess , since you can't find water blocks for anything that is "non-reference". I believe with my cpu and Video cards....going water will let me take more advantage of OC on them by being able to push them slightly higher....but within a safe margin.

"In some cases one 7970 is overkill let alone two.
They don't need to be the same exact cards to Crossfire, and historically cards sell better as singles, not as a set.
"

This may be true.....but i see sets of cards still selling all the time in the market places on numerous sites like here , OC.net , Guru 3D and so forth. A person could still sell them individually as well I guess....but selling them as a set.....I would think two of the exact same cards may look a little better to the buyer correct?

In some cases one 7970 is overkill let alone two.

In your case, 1x 7970 > 2x 7950.

Let's look at some average pricing :

7970 $400
7950 $289
waterblock $100 (blocks for each model are the same in cost)

Without any liquid cooling, a 7970 saves you almost $200
With the liquid cooling, a 7970 saves you almost $300

I'm strongly suggesting that you go with a GTX 670, leave it on air and consider your options come next year.
You may find you do not need another card and/or an upgrade to cooling.

If you absolutely must go with AMD, and you don't care about windowed mode or color profiles, then get a 7970.

All great points. And believe me....after hearing from a lot of different people , I may just go with one high end card and put a water block on it. All this water cooling stuff I had brought up is just something I was looking forward to doing this winter sometime. My CPU will be on water for sure.....so no matter what card I get , it'll be on water as well. I didn't think it was very logical to get a 2nd , 3rd or 4th fastest card and then turn around and spend another $100.00 on a water block for it. I want as much longevity out of that card(s) as I can get.

Back to the first question though......getting a 7970 instead of a GTX670 all came down to me being able to get the 7970 cheaper than a 670. Even without the game bundle.....the 670's usually run higher in cost. But not paying for 3-1/2 of those games? That's pretty damn cool right there. If you look at it this way.....if a person was oo buy two 7970's.....and be able to sell all 8 of those games and make some money back.....he could damn near have two 7970's for the price of one GTX680.

OH.....one more thing. I am planning on playing at 1080 right now. Since I only have one 27" Asus monitor as of right now. But I'm planning on getting two more monitors.

Also....I'm not ruling out a GTX670. But right now.....for the money I want to spend , I don't see how any 670 is going to give me a deal like that. And one GTX670 is not going to run games like Metro 2033 , Crysis 1 & 2 and a few other titles on 3 big monitors......at least i haven't seen or read of anyone being bale to do it with all the eye candy turned on.

BTW.....since I'm about as noobish as any one person can be.....thank you for the explanation on the "Windows mode" thing. And what exactly do you mean by "color profiles"? Does that mean I can't adjust in game colors , tints , shades , ect......or something else?

Edit : I forgot to add this in my earlier post. And it's one of the reasons I'm going to try and stay away from Nvidia this time around >>> http://www.overclockers.com/nvidia-says-no-to-voltage-control

Last edited:
I put in the disclaimer because I know TPU members and how some of them can get sometimes with questions like this and I just wanna ask my question in peace. Anyway, if you'd like to continue this discussion please do it in one of the comment threads or PM so that we don't derail this one. :)

As to your second point, yes, it gets curiouser and curiouser!

I do have an Nvidia card in my old rig.....which I I am on right now. But it's an old Evga GTX260. Doesn't really compare to anything out there today.

These cards I'm looking at getting is for my new system I am putting together. believe me , it's a long time coming. The Video cards are the only thing I need to get this up and running.

Short list of what I have here.

CM Storm trooper scout case
Asrock Extreme 7 MB
Intel 2600K
8GB 1600 Corsair vengeance
2 X WD Cav Blacks 1TB drives
1 - Samsung 830 SSD 128GB
Seasonic 1000W Platinum PSU
DVD burner
Blu-ray burner
Scythe Kaze master pro 6 channel fan controller

Basically.....the only thing I need right now is a video card....or cards....depending on what I decided to go with.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
"Beat".....as in the 670 doesn't even begin to compare to a 7970 in price + performance with the bundle I was referring to. If I have $400.00 in my pocket.....and buy an AMD 7970 , I'll get 3 full games at $50.00 a pop and 20% off another one......which all 4 of those games are ones that I want. That right there saves me $170.00 right out of my pocket. Which makes the $400.00 7970 cost $230.00.

It makes me chuckle as most people (especially at the high end) do not consider the bundled software(games in this case) as the deciding factor in making a hardware decision.
If you were that desperate for the games, I hear kids use something called ThePirateBay (just saying what I heard...).

Actually the 670 is not that far off a 680s performance, especially under 1600p resolution. So in theory it is comparable to the 7970 (both performance and efficiency).

Reference cards mean just about everything when it comes to water cooling I guess , since you can't find water blocks for anything that is "non-reference". I believe with my cpu and Video cards....going water will let me take more advantage of OC on them by being able to push them slightly higher....but within a safe margin.

Reference cards and reference boards are not always the same term to be applied. A preclocked card is non-reference (at least as a loose terminology)
A non-reference board has physical changes to it, which means a water block MAY not work.
The products you were looking at seemed like non-reference cards, not non-reference boards.

This may be true.....but i see sets of cards still selling all the time in the market places on numerous sites like here , OC.net , Guru 3D and so forth. A person could still sell them individually as well I guess....but selling them as a set.....I would think two of the exact same cards may look a little better to the buyer correct?

You're thinking too far ahead really. This new setup should last you quite a while (few years?).
And yes, people try to sell them as sets, doesn't work out as well. It only looks attractive to people needing doubles. This is because most buyers are buying singles, it's just a numbers game.

All great points. And believe me....after hearing from a lot of different people , I may just go with one high end card and put a water block on it. All this water cooling stuff I had brought up is just something I was looking forward to doing this winter sometime. My CPU will be on water for sure.....so no matter what card I get , it'll be on water as well. I didn't think it was very logical to get a 2nd , 3rd or 4th fastest card and then turn around and spend another $100.00 on a water block for it. I want as much longevity out of that card(s) as I can get.

GPUs don't generally need to be liquid cooled anymore except in extreme usage cases. If you put the CPU and GPU in the same water loop, the GPU heat could really hinder your CPU's cooling performance. And since the CPU needs it more, that's obviously not desirable.
Not sure why you think longevity is a concern?

Back to the first question though......getting a 7970 instead of a GTX670 all came down to me being able to get the 7970 cheaper than a 670. Even without the game bundle.....the 670's usually run higher in cost. But not paying for 3-1/2 of those games? That's pretty damn cool right there. If you look at it this way.....if a person was oo buy two 7970's.....and be able to sell all 8 of those games and make some money back.....he could damn near have two 7970's for the price of one GTX680.

If you can get a 7970 cheaper (card vs card, not bundle vs bundle), than it's a fair deal. Doesn't mean it's the right option though.
Yes, you may make all the money back. Are you confident you can, is that your actual plan? Think about it. Do private sales of PC video games really do that well? Remember that thing ... Pirate Bay?

OH.....one more thing. I am planning on playing at 1080 right now. Since I only have one 27" Asus monitor as of right now. But I'm planning on getting two more monitors.

More monitors won't mean more horsepower requirements, unless you're going to use them in Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround? Then you'll most likely need two cards.
And, windowed mode and color profiles is still an issue - especially if you're using multi-monitor. If you want to use another monitor to browse the web or do something in Windows, you have to alt-tab out of the game. See previous post about all that and no Crossfire.

Also....I'm not ruling out a GTX670. But right now.....for the money I want to spend , I don't see how any 670 is going to give me a deal like that. And one GTX670 is not going to run games like Metro 2033 , Crysis 1 & 2 and a few other titles on 3 big monitors......at least i haven't seen or read of anyone being bale to do it with all the eye candy turned on.

No card (and even two cards) will dominate Metro 2033, even at 1080p, not with all the features turned on.
Crysis 1 (and especially 2) are easy cake now (maybe not on three monitors though).
For now, a single 670 vs 7970 vs 680 is going to be pretty similar across the majority of games at 1080p. The real difference is the miscellaneous features like heat, power, CUDA/Physx, future proof etc.

BTW.....since I'm about as noobish as any one person can be.....thank you for the explanation on the "Windows mode" thing. And what exactly do you mean by "color profiles"? Does that mean I can't adjust in game colors , tints , shades , ect......or something else?

Monitors have their own color gamut and settings (like TVs) when you buy them. Some of them have on screen displays which means you can adjust it to look as you want it to.
Some of these monitors, particularly budget or 'gaming' trimmed monitors do not have color adjustments available.
So you have to rely on Windows or other software to handle it. Which is fine, the computer will boot the right color settings, however when you start a game (in full screen), the monitor defaults back to it's hard coded settings(which you can't change).

The only work around is to play in windowed mode.

Edit : I forgot to add this in my earlier post. And it's one of the reasons I'm going to try and stay away from Nvidia this time around >>> http://www.overclockers.com/nvidia-s...oltage-control

Do not worry about this. It's not as doom and gloom as it sounds.
Unless you're going for high overclock/synthetic benchmark testing, the way voltage works on Nvidia cards is not a problem.

Last edited:
Newconroer : Thanks so much for all you input!

The non-reference card and non-reference board thing really got me thinking. I was thinking that when a card manufacture totally re-designed the shroud and fan oreintation it would mess with the board layout......but I guess that's wrong? Been working a lot of hours lately so I haven't been able to read as much as I would of liked to over the past few days.

But " I think" I have it narrowed down a little in what a reference board / layout may look like. Don't most reference board have this type of layout where the DVI port , HDMI port and so forth are located ?

Reference design?

But even after looking at that layout there , I found some other 7970's which had the same layout , but were considered non-reference. Like the Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD . The PCB is supposed to be totally different , so I guess a water block wouldn't work on this card. Even though the port layout looks reference.

Not sure why I can't get a second picture uploaded on this same reply?

Anyways.....as far as a reference board layout , I don't know what's available any more. And the more I think about it , the more I will probably go with a single card.....but who knows. With all the reading I have done over the past few months , there are a lot of guys who swear by the CFX and SLI setups. And after I get this thing up and running with whatever card I choose to get......I may want to put a little more HP under the hood by adding a second card. I'm purposely holding back on the video card part of this build until I narrow down exactly what I want to get. And I have been searching the classifieds as well in case a great deal pops up. I'm not opposed to buying used if it's from a reputable seller.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Newconroer : Thanks so much for all you input!

The non-reference card and non-reference board thing really got me thinking. I was thinking that when a card manufacture totally re-designed the shroud and fan oreintation it would mess with the board layout......but I guess that's wrong? Been working a lot of hours lately so I haven't been able to read as much as I would of liked to over the past few days.

But " I think" I have it narrowed down a little in what a reference board / layout may look like. Don't most reference board have this type of layout where the DVI port , HDMI port and so forth are located ?

Reference design?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_GHz_Edition/images/outputs.jpg

But even after looking at that layout there , I found some other 7970's which had the same layout , but were considered non-reference. Like the Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD . The PCB is supposed to be totally different , so I guess a water block wouldn't work on this card. Even though the port layout looks reference.

http://http://www.mlacom.si/modules/store/uploads/17giga7945_1.jpg

Not sure why I can't get a second picture uploaded on this same reply?

Anyways.....as far as a reference board layout , I don't know what's available any more. And the more I think about it , the more I will probably go with a single card.....but who knows. With all the reading I have done over the past few months , there are a lot of guys who swear by the CFX and SLI setups. And after I get this thing up and running with whatever card I choose to get......I may want to put a little more HP under the hood by adding a second card. I'm purposely holding back on the video card part of this build until I narrow down exactly what I want to get. And I have been searching the classifieds as well in case a great deal pops up. I'm not opposed to buying used if it's from a reputable seller.

A better way to term it is non reference clocks vs non reference board.
In 95% of non reference clocked cards, the board is the same - or similar enough that a water block designed with the reference board in mind, will work.
As you saw above, having the same HDMI/DVI and pin layout on the rear is not indicative of it being reference or non reference board.

You should always ask the company, and also do some Youtube search for people who have taken that model of card apart, to see what's underneath.

-Do the single card for now. GTX 680 ideally, 670 if you want to save a little. 7970 if going AMD.

-Consider Nvidia for the Physx and SLI down the road. If you get another, then you have full use of BOTH of them in fullscreen and windowed.

To expand a bit on the windowed mode, let's use a personal real example from myself.
I have several monitors. If I am doing a raid in EverQuest and I need to look up information on a raid boss, or make adjustments on the Ventrilo channel, I have to temporarily stop doing stuff in the active window (active window meaning my EverQuest program). That requires hitting alt-tab. Even if the game doesn't crash or have problems, I can no longer see what's happening.

If I have it running in windowed mode, I can simply move my mouse cursor across to the other monitors and click on whatever I like, all the while the main monitor is still drawing/showing the game.

I do not know why Crossfire fails in windowed mode; it's been a huge downside for years and I have not heard any voice from AMD that it will change anytime soon.