1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Will Soon Bring Back The Start Menu In Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Easy Rhino, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I trust this is due to the change in leadership at Microsoft. Now all they need to do it make a one-click option to disable the start screen. Or better yet: disable the start screen if a touch screen is not found; enable it if one is.

lilhasselhoffer says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    People, including me, have been saying this since before 8 came out. Now why they can't do it I have no idea.

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    It would be admitting DEFEAT!

Arrogant, stupid people.

5. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Yup, Microsoft doesn't want to do it because they insist on changing Windows into something people can't use (pretty much the entire time Ballmer was in charge). Nadella seems to understand that it's not about Microsoft, it's about users. If Microsoft doesn't give what the users demand, their operating system market is going to collapse. That doesn't just apply to Windows, but also Windows Phone.

Speaking of which, I hope Nadella announces removing software constraints from Windows Phone and Windows RT soon. If you could customize said products the way you can customize Windows, Android would be in serious risk of getting crushed over the next decade.

lilhasselhoffer and Sasqui say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Good news to current and future Win8.1 users. Go Go MS!

7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    They want a one size fits all interface, device agnostic. Sorry MS, it doesn't work that way. Or if it does, no one has yet discovered it.

8. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    There's no reason why they can't offer multiple UIs on one kernel. Windows kernel already exists twice as is (32-bit and 64-bit). Microsoft just had a major ego romp going on since Vista launched (my way or the highway).

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I think therein lies their problem... they don't want multiple UIs (again, it's admitting defeat!)

10. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'm picturing the typical Start menu, except with numerous side tree arrows for everything listed in it to accommodate their new app heavy menu trend. They're going to keep their sticky fingers in it somehow you just know.

I spent quite a bit of time updating my neighbor's W8 equipped laptop the other day just to finally install the lengthy 3.6GB 8.1 update on it to be able to get the boot to desktop option in the new taskbar Navigation tab. Then I was shocked that 8.1 would not let me install it without using a password login. So I remove the password login via the account settings, only to find you have to as well disable it in the power options for hibernate if you want to be completely free of it.

MS try and force FAR too many options on us for an OS that is more software compatible than any other.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    now just Optimize Aero Desktop code for Direct X 10 or 9 (use minimal gpu load)

12. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Hahaha

[​IMG]

By the way, does anybody else notice the more options button doesn't give you any more options?

13. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Or better yet, why the hell doesn't mouse behave like a finger in the first place when Windows 8 was introduced? So you could do same gestures and functions with mouse that you'd make with a finger. At one point OS even says to the user "drag this arrrow to blablabla" and if you try doing it with a mouse, nothing happens. WHY!? What's different dragging a clicked mouse compared to touching a screen with a finger and dragging it across? i've been using gestures in browsers for ages, why not extend that to entire OS ?

14. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear this - finally!!!

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Thats what is happening. if Windows detects mouse and keyboard as,input, it was use traditional desktop.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  16. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    When Bill Gates gets out of his retirement, you know shit's serious.

17. m0nt3

Thanks Received:
    I really think that is sexy. The best of both worlds. Being on windows phone I really like the live tiles, now without the inconveniece of switching to a different screen. Excited.

18. Black.Raven

Black.Raven

Thanks Received:
    You need to make a new account, when windows 8.1 just installed. then click sign in locally :rolleyes:

OT: But I love it that they are bringing it back. sure i love the metro interface on my surface. BUT NOT ON MY BIG PC SCREEN. thats why I have the whole stardock suite installed. it has an start menu, and the metro apps in your explorer window:toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    The problem from first was not as much the new UI, but the lack of ease to change of UI, it is like "take it or go to lalaland", guess what, I don't take it and MS to go to lalaland; and I will belive when I will see it, they promise before that...

20. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Ballmer was fun and all in Youtube videos, but every catastrophic failure happened under his command. This new guy is right where it's at. He swallowed MS's pride and immediately released office for iPad and what not. Small step, but I bet it yielded great results.

21. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i want to see what this starts menu will do for me, right now i am using ClassicShell and i really like it, so maybe i will keep it, but i will definitely try out ms' own starts menu.

22. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I do not love the old (Win95-Win7) interface: settings and stuff are all scattered around and deep hidden into "options"-"more options"-"advanced settings"-"Show all control panel items", etc.
    Yo can personalise a lot, but not everything.

It is not THAT GOOD at all, guys!

That said, the new metro/modern is way to unmature.... but if you use let's say "20" programmes (applications or games) that you can fit into the first view of the Metro Start screen and you do not need to configure a lot all the time, just USE the damn computer, it is very good and fast.

The Von Matrices says thanks.
  23. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Did Microsoft announce when this is going to happen? XP support ends in five days and about 30% of all computers out there still run XP. I have one myself that, if this were integrated, I'd likely recommend buying Windows 8.1 but until then. :/

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Nadella is the real deal.

25. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    The princess bill gates has made it all right due to the guidance of the magical starfish

Kaynar says thanks.