1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

More AMD Phenom X4 news inside

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wiak, Oct 31, 2007.

1. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    :toast:

[​IMG]
    http://www.expreview.com/news/hard/2007-10...13419d6698.html

[​IMG]
    http://www.expreview.com/news/hard/2007-10...16099d6667.html

2. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    the overdrive looks awesome, but im sorry, 27 seconds is SHIT. seriously... something is not right here at all. my shitty opty 185 and old sandy 4000+ beatsthat score, hell... on ddr1 and my sandy @ 3ghz i got 26 seconds

Edit: why on earth didnt they include ati voltage adjustments also!!! ffs

also, independant voltage and frequencyt adjestments will be sweet for getting the best oc you can.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  3. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    it sticky fi di fan bois ...

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, the 2 extra cores should improve SuperPI 1M scores by at least a million seconds so it'll be calculated before you even clicked the button. Besides that, last time I checked SuperPI is single threaded.

5. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, even my rig does 36 seconds. I know this has four times as many cores, but given it's at 3GHz and mine is at 2.6, something seems very wrong with that - almost as thought there has been no actual advances other than shoving a few CPU cores onto one processor.

Edit: and that's with Firefox, Firewall, Antivirus, Speedfan, ATITool, CCC, Logitech Software and all of the default Windows services running in the background.

6. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    not asking for a ban here or anything, but Dan, alot of your posts in AMD-like threads has been somewhat sarcastic and cheeky? just out of curiosity how old are you??

*runs and hides under a bush

7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Sarcasm actually is quite an adult kind of humor, how many sarcastic infants do you know? If you read my post you get my point, the news clearly suggests that performance should improve due to the extra cores(see quoted part), Jimmy seems to think it influences the score as well. Fact is SuperPI is single threaded, The Phenom X4 is built from the ground up as quad core CPU, it's a waste of time to run this test. Sure single core performance seems bad here, it might scale very well though, that's the thing they need to test. It's like testing a Ferrari in the hills or a bulldozer on a racetrack.

Plus, if besides my post you'd read my profile you'd know my age as well.

8. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry Dan you misunderstood, I wasnt asking your age for believing you infantile, just as your a senior moderator I was curious as im often surprised that alot of mods here are quite your for how I picture them lol :) and yes, sarcasm is quite an adult trait.

I understood your post but yes, I still think you come across as a bit cheeky, but hey, im not complaining really, as its not exactly a crime now is it? :)

Ahh, same age as me then, well, im soon to turn 24 on the 27th December :toast:

9. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I don't consider cheeky negative when it's justified.

I believe that when writing about stuff like this you should at least know what you're talking about, specially when writing for a site called "expreview". The "but we are using x4 now.." comment on a single threaded and nearly obsolete benchmark doesn't show that the writer knows what he's writing about. Hence the "cheeky" response.

Besides, the comment was in defense of AMD, so what's with the "alot of your posts in AMD-like threads"? How is AMD relevant here?

10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Dan. SuperPi is almost worthless as a benchmark other than for setting OC world records or system stability tests.

I will wait for reviews using real world apps, utilities and games before I make any judgements on the Phenom line of processors.

11. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    lol....you two are the same age:roll:
    things are not always as they seem! never judge based on vision or hearing...alweays best to close eyes and listen to the inner ears and inner eye but mostly with the heart that fights for purity!

12. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    Point taken, but "alot of your posts in AMD-like threads" comment was refering to just a general feel i got from your posts in other threads. Usually short and slightly amusing, but this is going waaay off topic.

I agree with the single core bench comment. Why dont they use a multicore specific bench like Cinebench or Wprime, thats multithreaded aint it?

13. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    I wanna see some quad Crossfire X and Liquid nitrogen Phenom 3DMark 06 test!!!!

This is sweet
    [​IMG]

14. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    Pretty cool if you can adjust the multi on individual cores. I'm not sure why one would want to, but it's interesting.

15. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Because not every core will clock the same.

16. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    core3 speed is nice, 3.3ghz :)

17. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Plus nearly no games can use 4 cores, so when gaming you can keep power usage lower by lowering clock of 2 cores. Could be handy if you could set such things in profiles. ie speedstep per core.

18. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    True you could use it for that, but there should be a auto tool for that. With the new 790 boards there should be a setting that will turn cores off and on as you need them.

19. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    Ah yes, I can see the possibilities. Profiles for various tasks could be very interesting indeed.

20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its more for cool and quiet.

game that uses one core? 3 turn off.

dual/tri core game? the only 2/3 of them stay at full speed. Good power savings, really.

Oh and as for quad core games, lost planet, supreme commander (and expansion), bioshock, hellgate, unreal3, and crysis do - i beleive CoD4 and timeshift will as well.

thems just hte ones on my desktop that i know can use quad, but there certainly is a lot more quad capable games out on the market these days (and while they may not use all 4 100%, it leaves a nice amount of room for multitasking at the same time)

21. Dandel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think this will be a neat CPU to use, although i wonder if AMD will release a Good linux tool that will handle the same as the windows tool on tweaking each core's speed on the fly.

22. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    good to let u customise ur cpu in real time for the first time i think. if you got 2 cores that oc insanely compared to the others you could make a dual core with massive oc and access to a quads worth of cache?, esp good if there were indeed profiles you could set :)

lols, if intel copy this it aint gonna be fun for AMD, imagine a native intel quad with independant voltage control :(

23. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Besides power savings, there may be other benefits to individual core settings.
    For instance, if you are an OC'er, you could potentially shut down two cores to reduce heat output and get a superior OC on the other two (with the same cooling) than you could not if all four were in operation.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  24. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Or if a program used one croe more than the other core you could just oc that one core that needed it.

25. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know SuperPi is single core btw, sorry if my post didn't make that clear :rolleyes:

I understand that Phenom may be better at other things and SuperPi might not mean much, but I'm still surprised by a score that low. Like I say, that's less than ten seconds faster than a CPU that's been around for a few years (core vs core) despite my CPU running a few hundred MHz lower, which is somewhat unimpressive to me. We'll have to see some more conclusive benchmarks to make a final decision, but I would still have hoped the architecture would have moved forwards more than this. Surely the gap between a few-year-old P4 and a C2D is bigger than the gap between my s754 CPU and this?